SSDefrag service

nerrad

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I just wanted to be sure.

SSDefrag is an internal device driver that Defraggler uses to analyze the drive.

It is installed when you run the app and then removed afterwards, in order to make the application

clean and portable. :)

• 1 month later...
SSDefrag is an internal device driver that Defraggler uses to analyze the drive.

It is installed when you run the app and then removed afterwards, in order to make the application

clean and portable. :)

The need for the program to place a file in \system32\Drivers\

does not make it portable when run from a cd

then you just get an error message stating that "you do not have admin rights" and then it closes

why can't you guys make programs that have all the files needed in the same folder or selfcontained in the exe?

The need for the program to place a file in \system32\Drivers\

does not make it portable when run from a cd

then you just get an error message stating that "you do not have admin rights" and then it closes

why can't you guys make programs that have all the files needed in the same folder or selfcontained in the exe?

First: You can't defrag a drive without admin rights, with ANY defragmenter. (AFAIK)

Second: All of their programs are in the one folder. (Except Recuva, there is no option to store settings in an ini.)

Third: Sorry to have to say this. If you don't like the way Piriform sets up their programs then don't use them, or program your own.

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!

~Otto

How to use CCleaner on a Flash Drive (pre v2.0)

First: You can't defrag a drive without admin rights, with ANY defragmenter. (AFAIK)

Second: All of their programs are in the one folder. (Except Recuva, there is no option to store settings in an ini.)

Third: Sorry to have to say this. If you don't like the way Piriform sets up their programs then don't use them, or program your own.

Why do you think I don't like the program? I just said it is not truly portable, well is it?

Yes, you can bring it on a memory stick, but it writes files to the target system!!? Who is in error?

Both Recuva and CCleaner are able to run from my cd (UBCD4Win)

I have admin rights and I have other defrag programs that work just fine from a cd.

Examples of such programs:

AusLogics Defrag

DIRMS Defragger

Power Defragmenter

UltimateDefrag

UltraDefrag

I would like to add it and will when I figure out how...but obviously not with any help from this forum though

What Adder didn't mention and it is very important to understand is that in the scenario mentioned... UBCD4Win is based off of BartPE and PE environments do have some special requirements that must be met for any program to work properly on them.

One of the general requirements is to understand that if a system is booted from a Windows based PE CD, that the system area's such as %Windir%\system32 and %Windir%\system32\drivers are not normally ( I'll get back to why I underlined "normally" later ) writable. A program such as Defraggler that uses being writable as a criteria to see if a user is an admin user, will fail ( normally ).

So this is why Adder's statement about being able to be run from CD does have some merit. I still have some reservations about the statement "but obviously not with any help from this forum though" which shows a complete lack of respect for the others that do provide help on this forum. I do feel that statement was very uncalled for and I hope it won't reflect on the whole PE community because of this users lack of respect for what help is provided here. But, enough of that...

The are several possible directions that could be taken to resolve this type of issue when addressing read only media like PE builds have. Some of the possible solutions that could be done from the program itself are... to not even require that a service and file be added, if they are required that they be added to a %TEMP% file location instead, to work with an existing SSDefrag.sys file if its on read only media... and I'm sure many other possible solutions that I am not able to come up with and will therefore leave to the programmers to come up with.

I mentioned that normally there are issues with PE based CD's... There are also solutions available for BartPE builds that would allow Defraggler to be used now, just the way it is, but they do require additional requirements to be met. Specifically, to add another plugin to a users PE build called the FBWF plugin. This plugin requires the user to download the Microsoft's File Based Write Filter's files ( FBWF ) and add it's files to a simple plugin. This plugin allows a PE build to use read-only media as if it were read-write media by allocating some ram memory and then "faking" the writes virtually... It's not an elegant solution, but it works in many cases such as this one. Another issue with using this solution is that the FBWF files needed are not freely distributable by third parties, but still they are freely available from Microsoft... So it is already "do-able" but it takes some prerequisites be met to be able to have it work properly.

We are currently looking at removing the system driver altogether. It's early days yet but as always, we're very interested in what our users think.

:)

MrRon

• 1 month later...