uninstalled firefox still showing in CCleaner

cotty

no, this isn't a bug, it has happened to me a few times..

what is going on is, CCleaner still sees firefox as 'installed', when it's not, because there's still peices of FireFox left behind on your computer.. (when you uninstall a program, sometimes some files get left behind)

I had to search through my computer and make sure *all* of the programs files were gone

here is some places you can check:

go to Start > Run > type in 'RegEdit'

there's a built in search feature, go to Edit > Find (at the top) and search for Mozilla, Firefox, ect..

it will search your whole registry for those names. delete anything it finds

also, try browsing to these folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

C:\Documents and Settings\*YourUsernameHere*\Application Data

(*yourusernamehere* = your windows login name)

leftover files from uninstalled programs like to hide in there. find anything from Mozilla/Firefox and delete them

note: this directory may be a "Hidden Folder" and it might be invisible to you. if you can't see it, you might need to go to Folder Options (in control panel) and tick the option "show hidden files and folders"

after this, try re-running CCleaner, and see if firefox is still listed

• 12 years later...
On 06/09/2007 at 14:32, unsober said:

what is going on is, CCleaner still sees firefox as 'installed', when it's not, because there's still peices of FireFox left behind on your computer.. (when you uninstall a program, sometimes some files get left behind)

I had to search through my computer and make sure *all* of the programs files were gone

there's a built in search feature, go to Edit > Find (at the top) and search for Mozilla, Firefox, ect..

leftover files from uninstalled programs like to hide in there. find anything from Mozilla/Firefox and delete them

note: this directory may be a "Hidden Folder" and it might be invisible to you. if you can't see it, you might need to go to Folder Options (in control panel) and tick the option "show hidden files and folders"

This did not work for me.  No C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application. I still have the issue.

Edited by T Y Thomas Jr

• Moderators

As this thread is from 2007 its now 12 years old and any advice/solution given will probably not work. Computer operating systems and software has changed.

Please start a new thread stating just what problem you are seeing and what  versions of Windows and Firefox you are using.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

if i may...

23 hours ago, T Y Thomas Jr said:

This did not work for me.  No C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application. I still have the issue.

as someone here written - this folder is hidden

perhaps will this give you a help...?

On 06/09/2007 at 22:06, cotty said:

Hey thanks for your reply, I just deleted the Mozilla folder in: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\ and firefox miraculously disappeared from CCleaner :rolleyes:

but in the meantime i believe the folder is not as in the quote written

instead in "appdata" -> is hidden too

c:\user\your nick\appdata\local -> "mozilla"

c:\user\your nick\appdata\locallow -> "mozilla"

c:\user\your nick\appdata\roaming -> "mozilla"

and

c:\programdata -> "mozilla"

perhaps if you have it installed in c:\program files (x86)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

That old "Documents and Settings" path which is hidden from view in Win10 will still open and show files and folders if for instance opening the path via 'Run' in the 'Start Menu', however like Trium stated it's now mapped to AppData.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/09/2007 at 14:32, unsober said:

No search link available.

• Moderators

You could try Revo uninstaller which can find and remove 'leftovers' that the standard Windows uninstaller missed/left behind.

You can download a Free trial of the Pro version, so that you can use the Pro feature 'Forced Uninstall'. (Or buy the Pro if you think you will need the feature again in future).
'Forced Uninstall' lets you use their log database to remove leftovers of stuff you had installed/uninstalled before you even got Revo.

Here is the manual page for 'Forced Uninstall':
https://www.revouninstaller.com/online-manual/uninstaller/#3.6

You can download the Pro trial here:
https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-pro/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...

Concur ^.

Never use the Windows default uninstaller or the program's own uninstaller directly (often shown in the Start Menu). Always use a dedicated uninstaller like the ever reliable Revo.

After putting in a restore point it will run the program's own uninstaller or, when one is not provided, Windows default uninstaller. If you've used the Advanced settings ie. thorough uninstall, it will then scan and display all related links and leftovers it has found for the uninstalled program. That includes the usually hidden Program Data, AppData > Roaming/LocalLow/Local and registry entries often left behind. These are really what this thread is all about.

Once the program's own uninstaller has been used those leftovers are much more difficult to find and remove. So use a purpose designed uninstaller right from the start.

But do be careful with the Revo Advanced options and check what is being removed before clicking the delete button.