Changing File Type Icons

mikeb

For a while now in my start menu, or should I say programs menu, the icons for the help files and for urls are the most generic of all generic windows icons and recently my icons for .wmv, .wav, .mp3 files changed after reinstalling some media players and stuff. The PROBLEM is when I go to "folder options / file types" and try and change these icons, there is NO option for me to do so! Somehow this option has disappeared for certain file types. I thought it was pretty straight forward, but now I don't know what the deal is. I can change the icon to a shortcut and that's about it.

As for the help file and programs url icons, I had changed those previously but it seems they reverted to that damn generic icons right after.

Any thoughts on this matter? How do I get that option to "change icon" to appear again?

Thanks

You could refresh the icon cache to see if it may help?

Display Properties - Appearance Tab - Advanced - from the drop down box select icon and reduce the size down one number and ok out of there.

Just reverse the procedure to get your prefered icon size back.

You could refresh the icon cache to see if it may help?

Display Properties - Appearance Tab - Advanced - from the drop down box select icon and reduce the size down one number and ok out of there.

Just reverse the procedure to get your prefered icon size back.

The icon size is not the problem it's the option to change them to something else that's disappeared and other icons revert to some generic icon if I change them. If by refreshing the icon cache you mean following the steps you mention, I'll try that. I didn't even realize that option was there.

Talldog, I'll have to read up on that little app.

Thanks.

Talldog, I'll have to read up on that little app.

That program wouldn't even start on my computer.

Dial-a-Fix and RegSeeker also have an option to rebuild the icon cache (RegSeeker in its tweak section and Dial-a-Fix in its tools section), though doing as Humpty said will work too. Make a restore point before doing it though as I've had issues doing it before (ie losing all icons)

• Moderators
Dial-a-Fix and RegSeeker also have an option to rebuild the icon cache (RegSeeker in its tweak section and Dial-a-Fix in its tools section), though doing as Humpty said will work too. Make a restore point before doing it though as I've had issues doing it before (ie losing all icons)

When I used to use RegSeeker to flush the icons it always destroyed the transparency effect of the icons on WinXP, I always had to use System Restore or ERUNT to undo it.

So you couldn't re-enable it from the Windows "Visual Effects" options?

Err...that's not good. I'd hate to have to use system restore. I mean I can live without changing these icons. haha

Humpty, I tried those steps you listed and nothing. The option is still missing.

OHHH, wait you guys I JUST got the option back! I thought I had done this step before! When in "folder options/file types/" and looking at the details for the extension, in this case one of them was WAV, where it's supposed to say "advanced," it said "restore." Now I swear I clicked "restore" before and nothing happened. I think there must've been several apps competing for the WAV file which I sorted out in the apps themselves. I just went back and tried hitting "Restore" again and the "Advanced" option came back!

I'm happy. :)