Opera 9.5 Alpha

Humpty

May just give this new Opera alpha a run a bit later.

After over a year in development, Opera Software has release the first public Alpha build of Opera 9.5, the next version of its popular alternative Web browser. The main focus of Opera 9.5 seems to be performance and compatibility with sites, and users are already reporting a big speed boost from Opera 9.23.

New features in the browser include the ability to search the browser's full history, restore closed windows, better UI integration on Mac and Linux, support for Mac OS X's VoiceOver technology, new skins and a revamped Opera Mail client. Download Opera 9.5 Alpha 1 from FileForum and tell us what you think.

Opera Alpha

• Moderators

It seems about the same to me. I wish they would display buttons like firefox and IE do. Using opera makes me feel like I'm using windows 98 again sometimes. It is fast and the fact that the mail client now auto sets up your email server info is nice(thunderbird does this and so does windows live mail.)

Not enough to switch me from Firefox or IE7 pro yet though.

The real problem with Opera for me is the incompatibility issue (as addressed in the OP's quote, "The main focus of Opera 9.5 seems to be performance and compatibility with sites"). Opera's inability to access bank sites, university sites, and just about any site with tight security is a severe blow. I gave up on Opera 8.xx & 9.xx even though I liked it quite a bit.

It's a Alpha release so calling it crap is a bit premature. If it was bug free it wouldn't be a Alpha release would it.

i do realize that it's an alpha but nevertheless, it was really, really, unstable. it looks different(possibly due to a new font), it can't tell the difference between a php file and an exe file, and i had issues with keeping a session. I made it crash once too :).

but really, a lot's changed since 9.23 and i don't feel like upgrading for the time being :(

The real problem with Opera for me is the incompatibility issue
i've never had that happen to me. i also haven't had issues with banking sites either. or any site for that matter. well, except ones that rely on IE.

The real problem with Opera for me is the incompatibility issue (as addressed in the OP's quote, "The main focus of Opera 9.5 seems to be performance and compatibility with sites"). Opera's inability to access bank sites, university sites, and just about any site with tight security is a severe blow. I gave up on Opera 8.xx & 9.xx even though I liked it quite a bit.

I don't think that's an Opera problem. The sites block Opera. My bank and brokerage have different web sites but are the same company. When logged into the banking site you can hit a link and go to the brokerage site without logging in again. Same with the brokerage site. Now when I try to log in directly to my brokerage site with Opera it won't let me. If I log into my bank site I have no problem. Once logged into the bank site if I click the link to the brokerage site I can us Opera no problem. I phoned the brokerage and informed them that Opera would not log on to the site. The retard in the IT department tells me Opera doesn't work with the site. I then inform him that I can get into the brokerage site through the banking site and when I do opera works just fine. They are blocking Opera and they are not the only ones. Sometimes changing Opera to mask or identify as IE or Firefox is all it takes to get a site to work for you.

I don't think that's an Opera problem. The sites block Opera. My bank and brokerage have different web sites but are the same company. When logged into the banking site you can hit a link and go to the brokerage site without logging in again. Same with the brokerage site. Now when I try to log in directly to my brokerage site with Opera it won't let me. If I log into my bank site I have no problem. Once logged into the bank site if I click the link to the brokerage site I can us Opera no problem. I phoned the brokerage and informed them that Opera would not log on to the site. The retard in the IT department tells me Opera doesn't work with the site. I then inform him that I can get into the brokerage site through the banking site and when I do opera works just fine. They are blocking Opera and they are not the only ones. Sometimes changing Opera to mask or identify as IE or Firefox is all it takes to get a site to work for you.

Anthony, Thanks for the response. Point taken on the sites blocking Opera. I may try Opera again once this beta version gets more mileage. It is a fine browser, and I'd sure like to be able to use it as I do FF. So I gotta wonder, what is it about FF that makes it more accepted as a browser than Opera?

I very much agree with & can second that emotion re: It`s not a Opera problem.. I`ve had many sites that wont allow Opera due to it`s not so insecure as IE nature & not to mention that it wont give the Ad Sponsors on any given site their most wanted ability to sneak your browser info from you & track on your web habits or even Steal your Cookies. All of these methods they can actively use without you knowing it are mostly unable to do their thing when using Opera. One site even went as far as stating that all members should NOT use Opera on their site because it would hurt their revenue directly...unfortunately...Opera wont work at most of that site`s pages which I use most so I`m forced to use other browsers with high security balanced with features that must be used under lower security settings such as allowing JavaScript & or certain Cookies they force feed you at each page change & more.

I`ve yet to try out the 9.5 but will try it out at least to see if indeed it`s any more faster than the earlier versions.

Anywhooo...

Opera is a little strange at first but it gets better as you learn it`s benefits & workarounds that enables more flex.

Life is too serious to be taken too seriously smiley-biggrin.gif