Spybot 1.5 released

JDPower

Speaking of Spybot-S&D hanging. The update for today 12 Sept 2007 has caused it to load very slowly on my system. Now I wonder what they've inadvertently did to it.

I've just installed 1.5 on my gf's computer and its very slow opening, was never a fast opener but 1.5 was taking 2-3 times longer. I'm still sticking with 1.4 on mine for the time being.

• Moderators
I've just installed 1.5 on my gf's computer and its very slow opening, was never a fast opener but 1.5 was taking 2-3 times longer. I'm still sticking with 1.4 on mine for the time being.

2-3 times slower sounds about right. Also on my system every time I launch it the floppy drive is accessed. :rolleyes: That however is a small annoyance I can live with.

I'm not greatly impressed with version 1.5 either. Its definitely slower than 1.4. And all this business about having to manually delete backup HOSTs files sounds annoying...

The HOSTS file was actually backed up in v1.4 too when you install or uninstall the Spybot-S&D HOSTS file although in v1.4 it wasn't updated all that often to my knowledge, and at least they're using the proper format now for blocking sites.

Since the HOSTS file is a part of the immunization in v1.5 it will create a backup each and every time the system is immunized. I've noticed they're updating the Spybot-S&D HOSTS file more frequently now with new sites to block, which is actually a good thing. Too bad it doesn't just incorporate the MVPS.org HOSTS file by offering to install it, however there's HostsMan for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Does SpyBot 1.4 dectect Spybot 1.5 as an update when you search for updates in SpyBot 1.4? Because when i searched for updates in 1.4 i got no update for 1.5.

You have to manually download it. You need to uninstall 1.4 first, followed by restarting your computer, and then install 1.5. Don't forget to check for updates after installing 1.5.

You can download it from:

* http://www.spybot.info/

* http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

• Moderators
It isn't? I though 1.5 had more bugs than 1.4 and that 1.5 started up 2-3 times slower than 1.4!

It has that one specific slow loading bug which was reported by multiple users and is now known by the developer(s). As for other bugs it "may have" I don't know of them and haven't encountered anything other than the slow loading myself. Note: If you use the Immunize feature in it you'll find that version 1.5 is leaps and bounds above the old version 1.4.

I'm keeping 1.5 installed because I like the Immunize and Updater better than what was in 1.4, and since the slow loading bug is known and will "eventually be fixed," and since I don't use Spybot-S&D everyday and only scan with it maybe once per month.

1.5's Immunizer is C-R-A-P!!!

takes too bloody long to do what it used to do in practically five seconds in 1.4...

Hi spelbynder B)

1.5's Immunize operation only takes about 5 seconds to do it's thing on my machine.

Slow Spybot startup now a recognised bug and being worked on: http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=85

Fix due out with next update:

I've reduced the delay to about a third of what it is right now (e.g. 7 seconds left where it was 20 seconds previously). It now takes only 50% instead of 80% of the whole startup process. The problem only appeared when massively adding/restructuring items in Domains.sbs.

And todays update would be: with the help of a special structure in Domains.sbs, made available with the next updates, and a new main executable, this part was reduced nearly to zero.

What i want to know is if we need SpywareBlaster anymore now that 1.5 is out

I'm still using both, doesn't do any harm to keep both seeing as they're not actually using any resources with their immunise functions (plus it seems Spyware Blaster still blocks some stuff that Spybot doesn't, and vice versa)

Would suggest continuing to use SpywareBlaster, it is a passive app, just sits there till it is needed. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Would suggest continuing to use SpywareBlaster, it is a passive app, just sits there till it is needed. :)

I don't know how many of you use the MVPS HOSTS file, but between that, SpywareBlaster and Spybot's Immunize function, there has to be plenty of overlap. When you add the Adblockplus filters, there's alot of looking up going on when loading web pages. I'm not complaining, as I think all these preventative measures probably do as much to block scripts and other malware than many AV programs.

I don't use the immunize feature of S&D, or Spyware Balster,or a hosts file. I never get malware. I do use Adblock plus with Firefox and all my browsers have some form of add blocking. I can't remember the last time my AV resident shield has alerted me to anything or the many on demand scanners I have detected anything other than tracking cookies . It hasn't since I have been using AVG. I think the last time was when I was using Norton a few years ago. People keep saying that the immunize features of S&D and Spyware Blaster don't use resources but they slow down browsing on any machine I have used that has them installed.

I don't know how many of you use the MVPS HOSTS file, but between that, SpywareBlaster and Spybot's Immunize function, there has to be plenty of overlap. When you add the Adblockplus filters, there's alot of looking up going on when loading web pages. I'm not complaining, as I think all these preventative measures probably do as much to block scripts and other malware than many AV programs.

Yep, belt + suspenders + elastic + velcro. . .at some point, enough already. :P

I'm still using spybot 1.4, so Spywareblaster is no overlap, but if the spybot 1.5 keeps all the old hosts files, as Andavari pointed out elswhere in this forum, I may have to make a change soon. Thanks for mentioning it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Yep, belt + suspenders + elastic + velcro. . .at some point, enough already. :P

Interesting analogy! :lol:

I'm still using spybot 1.4, so Spywareblaster is no overlap, but if the spybot 1.5 keeps all the old hosts files, as Andavari pointed out elswhere in this forum, I may have to make a change soon. Thanks for mentioning it.

It still loads very slow though. It would be one thing if it were self-verifying its integrity, only if that were the case. :rolleyes:

I had thought from the posts in here that they were fixing it, but still nothing as of yet that I've been able to download via the updates has fixed it.

It still loads very slow though. It would be one thing if it were self-verifying its integrity, only if that were the case. :rolleyes:

I had thought from the posts in here that they were fixing it, but still nothing as of yet that I've been able to download via the updates has fixed it.

The one machine I have 1.5 installed on it loads very slow. The update yesterday did nothing to improve that.

Interesting analogy! :lol:

There is a beta update on their forum that has fixed it for those that have tried it. I have asked when this will be released officially and received no reply.

Is your's also slow to close the update window after an update (ie Update finishes, click exit, then takes about 20-30 seconds for the update window to close)?