Anti Virus

Linda Sands

Can anyone tell me which is the best anti-virus to use? I currently have Avg.7.5 & Ad-Ware SE ( both free). But I am looking at replacing one with Avast Home Edition. Would this be a good idea?

Why do you want to replace AVG? I use it and so do many others and it's a good Antivirus. Free, low resources and I have never had a virus since using it on 4 machines here. Never had a update issue or compatibility issue on any machine with it either. It has been flawless for me. What do you hope to gain with Avast that you don't get with AVG?

• Moderators
If avg works well with your system there isn't really much to be gained by changing.

I have to agree. AVG has to have the easiest to use GUI out of three. Avast with skins is just confusing to use whereas AVG and AntiVir are straight forward no b.s. antivirus software.

Avast with skins is just confusing to use

You don't have to use a skinned interface. It's very plain and simple with no skin. I personally don't use any skins.

And about the Antivirus programs... It's very hard to say, what's the best one. It's basicly a matter of taste. I have found Avast! to be good and have no reason to change it.

Here's a picture of Avast! with no skin: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d...face_onskin.png

• Moderators
You don't have to use a skinned interface. It's very plain and simple with no skin. I personally don't use any skins.

Yeah that's an option during installation and can even be configured after installation. One of my gripes about Avast though is you have to tick and have enabled for it to scan archives. It isn't the type of antivirus I would say install on an older relatives computer out of fear of them not scanning everything and something slipping through, whereas with AVG and AntiVir I wouldn't worry about it, especially with AVG Free as it has no option to ignore files and folders.

So why then change it, if you have found it to be good??

I'm not as I said I thought Avast was better because someone said that they found a virus & they were using Avg. In fact the reviews stated said the same on Avg.

• Moderators

The only thing I like about avast is that it scans a little faster than AVG/Antivir.

Other than that I like the other 2 better. Antivir updates can be god awful slow and you have to block that dumb ad.

So those gripes leave me to the one I have no issues with: AVG. Its small, fast, and just works.

• Moderators
So those gripes leave me to the one I have no issues with: AVG. Its small, fast, and just works.

Speaking of the issues with AVG I found out what was causing those big bloated .AVG files it was the AVG resident shield when configured to scan all files and on close scanning. Leaving AVG's resident shield in the factory default mode doesn't create those .AVG files.

• Moderators
Wow, it's so hard task to tick that option... :D

It sure was, my finger hurt every time I had to click it. :P:lol:

All complaints aside, at least there's the three good "A's" in the freeware antivirus software. PC Tools Antivirus Free Edition is alright too, but I've found it's resident shield is too overbearing even on powerful PC's and can bring things to a halt.

• Moderators

I never did try and figure out what you meant with that issue.

With AVG I've always just installed it, changed the time it scans/updates, and thats about it. What else did you change to make it make those files? (i'm not at my computer right now so I cant check the size anyway)

The only thing I like about avast is that it scans a little faster than AVG/Antivir.

Other than that I like the other 2 better. Antivir updates can be god awful slow and you have to block that dumb ad.

What issues did you got with Avast?

I personally can't say anything about AVG (or Antivir), 'cause haven't used them. Like i said, i have found Avast! to be good and got no reason (so far) to change it. I have used Avast about 4 years now.

EDIT: Before Avast, i got F-Secure for some time and it was such a resource hog.

• Moderators
What else did you change to make it make those files?

It was all because of the resident shield, and those files were only created after changing the resident shield to scan all files, and to scan files on close. Leaving the resident shield at the factory default installed settings results in those files not being created. I've been using AVG Free again for at least an month and not even one of those files has been created since I left the resident shield alone.

I agree and it's as close to install and forget as a program can be. The only thing to watch for with AVG is after you install it you will get a first run wizard type thing and in this wizard you have the option to set the scans as high priority or not. This is the only chance you have to set this option. It can't be done later in the free version. If you don't select high priority you will have very long scan times. You will need to uninstall and reinstall to get the first run wizard and than set the priority to high. Other than that the program is idiot proof.

• Moderators

Started using Antivir recently after reinstall just out of curiosity.

Gone back to Avast. Antivir update was doing my head in. Apart from taking ages, it worked sometimes, and sometimes it didn't.

Avast connects and checks for latest database as soon as I've booted up, and it does it quickly and never fails.

And my bootup is quicker and quieter. I started launching Task Manager shortly after installing Antivir, to see what was causing the extended and noisy disk activity. Antivir.

Bootup is now the way it was when I was first using Avast. Can't comment on AVG, never used it.

They've all got there good and not so good points. Take your pick. Whatever works best for you, on your system.

Going back to the first post, I get the impression you may be confusing AdAware with an antivirus. It's not, and if you were to try replacing it with Avast while AVG AV is still installed, you would run into trouble.

AdAware is an antispyware. In your case, it's what is called a demand scanner, that is, unlike the AV's mentioned, it doesn't monitor your system and scan files in realtime. There are other good alternatives to AdAware that fulfill much the same function. (And in most cases, I believe, do a better job.)

Superantispyware

Asquared

Spybot

and here's a free realtime antispyware that I've found very good: Spywareterminator but I have to recommend the standalone version, without the toolbar, and also without the Clam AV integrated, partly because some users have found those add-ons buggy, but mainly because I don't like toolbars.

You can pretty much install and run as many demand scanners as you want. Two or three is not a bad idea. One may find something another may not, on any given day. Another may have a better removal engine. The forums and help available for the ones I've linked are all very good. (Unlike those for AdAware, which,as a result, has lost it's rights to my computer, probably forever.)

Regarding the AV's, if you want to try something different, try the other/s out. I've done a fair bit of this and settled, very happily, with Avast. The support is excellent, with many very knowledgeable and frequent forum visitors, the application hassle free.

But if you want to change just because you want more protection, or you've heard that it's better, there'll be no harm, but it may not offer a significantly better level. A bit difficult to find tests that strongly and consistently indicate one is better than the other. At avcomparatives.org Avast, AVG, and Avira (Antivir) all usually turn in consistently good results. Only the paid versions are tested, though, and there are differences between the abilities of the pay vs the free version. One thing I'll say concerning Avast is that the detection and cleaning engines are identical pay/free. I don't think that's the case with the other two.

Bottom line: if you are happy with AVG, can work the interface happily,find it "plays well" on your computer and its programs,and feel confident in the protection and support offered, why remove it?

I never did try and figure out what you meant with that issue.

With AVG I've always just installed it, changed the time it scans/updates, and thats about it. What else did you change to make it make those files? (i'm not at my computer right now so I cant check the size anyway)

i still havent figured out how to block those dumb antivir adds. im almost ready to switch to avast because of it.

@1984

Did you try the Software Restriction Policies? I used it to control Antivir's ads, although I'm not sure if it even works since it doesn't show up after the policy was given. Maybe worth a shot

Going back to the topic, AVG can be pretty good, depending on the user's habits. If he/she's a dangerous adventurer, changing to the better AVs can be considered.

• Moderators
i still havent figured out how to block those dumb antivir adds. im almost ready to switch to avast because of it.

In the below instructions I know first hand that Method 1 works, since I don't have XP Home Edition I can't verify that Method 2 works.

How to block the AntiVir Notifier AdvertisementThis will completely block the ad to upgrade/buy AntiVir Premium.Notice/Warning:This will also block the ability to retrieve virus information fromwithin AntiVir which uses AntiVir Notifier to retrieve the information.Therefore you will also be disabling that feature in AntiVir as well.----------------Method 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP ProTip: To create a New Path Rule you must use a right click.1. Go into:Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Software Restriction Policies -> Additional Rules -> New Path Rule ->2. Choose the path of avnotify.exe the default is:C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe3. Set the Security Level to: Disallowed4. Done.----------Method 2 for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition:1. Boot into Safe Mode2. Log in as: Administrator3. Go to:C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exeright click on it in Explorer go to Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Editthen select the option to not let it execute for all users.4. Done, you can restart Windows in Normal Mode.

If copying the code doesn't work you can download the .txt document version (note it will display in your browser so just use File -> Save to save it onto your hard drive):

I, personally, don't see too much of a difference between avast! and AVG. They both are fine, but I like avast better because of the fact that you can customize its skins. Also, avast!'s scanning seems a bit faster than AVG, and it seems to take up less resources for my PC when it's scanning (which is something different than AVG).

Like I heard somewhere else when I was reading posts (may have not been in this forum): if there was no AVG, Avast would probably be used in AVG's place.

Can anyone tell me which is the best anti-virus to use? I currently have Avg.7.5 & Ad-Ware SE ( both free). But I am looking at replacing one with Avast Home Edition. Would this be a good idea?

Of the free ones, I think Avira is the best in that it has an excellent detection rate and it's low on resources. That said, AOL has switched to the McAfee engine, and although heavy on resources, McAfee and Symantec are still the main sites to refer to when trying to clean a virus manually (and their detection rates are still pretty good).

I know people usually recommend AVG, but there are certain features about Avast that I appreciate. The shields are very configurable, and I really liked the bootscan on the pay version (is that available on the free version)?

If you live in the USA, there are many vendors who are now offering their AV programs for free after rebate. Symantec is currently offering a package of Norton AV/Norton Ghost 12/Partition Magic 8 for free after $70 in rebates (see outpost.com)

Amazon.com had Kaspersky AV v6 AV for free after rebate. Once installed, and after you've received a reg. #, you could go to the Kaspersky site for an upgrade to version 7. Two weeks ago, Spy Sweeper + AV was being offered for free after rebate and I've seen Trend Micro's AV also free AR. While these are not technically freeware options, at the end of the day (once the rebates checks are received), it's free. :)