now let's talk about uninstaller

wgan

after tried several ones( revo zsoft and one from give away) I reckon there's no such things as perfect uninstaller (pretty much like those registry cleaners)

both of them are not reliable according to their working processes, to put it simple, they can't even delete old menu entry key properly which CCleaner can, and it most likely those uninstallers might screw up some time, so why bother, what do you think?

after tried several ones( revo zsoft and one from give away) I reckon there's no such things as perfect uninstaller (pretty much like those registry cleaners)

both of them are not reliable according to their working processes, to put it simple, they can't even delete old menu entry key properly which CCleaner can, and it most likely those uninstallers might screw up some time, so why bother, what do you think?

I disagree. At the very least, they tell you what's been installed in the registry and most importantly, if something has been added to your all important system or system32 subdirectories in the Windows folder. I check every installation log after running Zsoft.

The one feature I would like to see added is a version/date compare of the OS file dll/exe files. If a program install replaces an OS file with one of the same name, but an older (or newer version), the uninstaller monitor won't recognize it (at least I don't think Zsoft will because the filename is the same).

Are you sure that Zsoft doesn't uninstall the menu entry key from the registry?

I disagree. At the very least, they tell you what's been installed in the registry and most importantly, if something has been added to your all important system or system32 subdirectories in the Windows folder. I check every installation log after running Zsoft.

The one feature I would like to see added is a version/date compare of the OS file dll/exe files. If a program install replaces an OS file with one of the same name, but an older (or newer version), the uninstaller monitor won't recognize it (at least I don't think Zsoft will because the filename is the same).

Are you sure that Zsoft doesn't uninstall the menu entry key from the registry?

I'm not quite sure if I've done the right sequence with zsoft, this is what I normally do, give it a before install analyze->run the installer->then run a after install analyze, I've tested the uninstall function on several installed programs within zsoft uninstaller, I noticed that it did leave the old start menu entry back which I'm a bit confused about, cuz according to the process, it should've detected that registry entry, right? but I need to run an extra cleaning with CCleaner to wipe'em off completely, that's why I'm not happy with those uninstallers.

I'm not quite sure if I've done the right sequence with zsoft, this is what I normally do, give it a before install analyze->run the installer->then run a after install analyze, I've tested the uninstall function on several installed programs within zsoft uninstaller, I noticed that it did leave the old start menu entry back which I'm a bit confused about, cuz according to the process, it should've detected that registry entry, right? but I need to run an extra cleaning with CCleaner to wipe'em off completely, that's why I'm not happy with those uninstallers.

The one other thing you should do is actually start the new program you've installed (and then close it) before you do your "after" analysis with Zsoft.

Some programs add more strings to the registry after they're run the first time. I even perform my first time settings with new programs before I run the "after" analysis, on the assumption that the new settings add further registry strings.

I even do before and after analysis' on manual installation of zip archived programs.

is it good, anybody tried? sounds like it has a complete different procedure which is quite interesting.

I think it was given away free on Giveaway of the Day recently, IIRC it was pretty aggressive and had a tendency to remove more reg entries than it should have.

Better off sticking with ZSoft's uninstaller or the last freeware version of Total Uninstall (LINK) which is slower but I prefer it to ZSoft.

The one other thing you should do is actually start the new program you've installed (and then close it) before you do your "after" analysis with Zsoft.

Some programs add more strings to the registry after they're run the first time. I even perform my first time settings with new programs before I run the "after" analysis, on the assumption that the new settings add further registry strings.

I even do before and after analysis' on manual installation of zip archived programs.

I asked about this on the Zsoft forum the other day and the author recommended starting the program once and than doing the after analyze.

I also track the install of manual install zip archived programs and am surprised how many entries are created from so called non install programs.

• Moderators
I also track the install of manual install zip archived programs and am surprised how many entries are created from so called non install programs.

Almost everything leaves some crumbs behind from MUIcache references in the registry, to Prefetch data on the hard disk which is why I track every new software title I download.

I bought Your Uninstaller, yes I did, and for me it costs more money, seeing's how I have to convert my currency to US dollars ;) I swear by it! Sometimes it will remove 100s, even 1000s, of redundant registry keys and other junk files - well worth it :)

Windows 7 - Office 2010 - Internet Explorer 9

All better than the versions preceding them :D

• Moderators

Revo Uninstaller is actually kind of alright, I used it to uninstall some freeware programs I tried out and didn't want to keep. By far it's no replacement for Total Uninstall nor ZSoft Uninstaller however it is good for things than haven't had the installation process tracked.