Registry Cleaner

Linda Sands

No! Only those related to and created by Internet Explorer such as in Temporary Internet Files should be deleted.

Thanks so much for the reply! Some time back, I downloaded a little program called "Index.dat Spy 2.0," but I've never used it. I decided to take a look at it today, but after seeing the results, I wasn't sure what to do -- sure glad I asked.

What's happens if you delete the ones you shouldn't?

• Moderators
What's happens if you delete the ones you shouldn't?

There's an index.dat file in the Windows help files PCHealth to be exact, that if deleted it breaks help on your system. Some programs will list that PCHealth index.dat file, so be careful.

There's an index.dat file in the Windows help files PCHealth to be exact, that if deleted it breaks help on your system. Some programs will list that PCHealth index.dat file, so be careful.

On this subject of index.dat files, I just uninstalled "Index.dat Spy." After your earlier comments, I decided not to run the risk of being tempted some where down the road to use it long after I had forgotten what you said. After uninstalling the program, I noticed that it left a GID file behind (indexdatspy.gid). I really don't know what GID files are or what they're used for. I assume it safe to delete, but I thought I should check with someone that knows more than I do.

• Moderators
After uninstalling the program, I noticed that it left a GID file behind (indexdatspy.gid). I really don't know what GID files are or what they're used for. I assume it safe to delete, but I thought I should check with someone that knows more than I do.

.GID files are just junk files! They're the little crumbs that are created when you view a help file with the .HLP extension. It's completely safe to delete that file, and in fact many disk cleaning applications that scan the whole disk for junk files would've found it.

Does anyone know of a free download for a registry cleaner that would speed up my pc? I have found one on MajorGeeks.com but you have to buy it Thanks for any help you can give.

Anybody have a good GENERAL "Ignore List" for Registry Mechanic?

Anybody have a good GENERAL "Ignore List" for Registry Mechanic?

I don't have/need any exclusions in Reg Mechanic but everyone's system is different. Andavari will have a better idea on general exclusions.

I don't really think Registry Mechanic needs any so-called community exclusion list like what I did with RegSeeker for the fact being Registry Mechanic is tame compared RegSeeker.

However, as I recall, you did have some exclusion items for EasyCleaner. Would Registry Mechanic not fall into somewhat the same category?

• Moderators
However, as I recall, you did have some exclusion items for EasyCleaner. Would Registry Mechanic not fall into somewhat the same category?

Yes I did have some exclusions because it was detecting stuff I didn't want removed. I'll post an exclusion list below in another post in this very thread as a ZIP archive with some installation instructions. ignore.dat can't be included because it isn't in an editable form!

Note: This is NOT going to be like the RegSeeker exclude.ini thread, this is a one time deal and I won't be updating it.

Give me a few minutes to piece it all together.

Thanks so much, Andavari. I really appreciate your doing this!!

I was slightly confused about the installation, however -- especially items #1. Do I open the *.txt files in Notepad and then copy them -- then open Notepad again to paste them?

• Moderators
Thanks so much, Andavari. I really appreciate your doing this!!

I was slightly confused about the installation, however -- especially items #1. Do I open the *.txt files in Notepad and then copy them -- then open Notepad again to paste them?

My instructions were a little goofy as it was late and I was tired, although what's below isn't much better either:

* Open the exclusion file that has the path listed in #1 that's located in the "C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\log" first in one Notepad window.

* Then open the downloaded exclusion file in a separate Notepad window and copy all the text in it. Then switch back to the one that's already installed in the "Registry Mechanic\log" folder and paste what you copied at the end of that already installed file. Then click save. Then move on to installing #2.

I could have made it a self-extracting zip archive but I opted not to because if someone already has exclusions that would only overwrite them which isn't good.

My instructions were a little goofy as it was late and I was tired, although what's below isn't much better either:

* Open the exclusion file that has the path listed in #1 that's located in the "C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\log" first in one Notepad window.

* Then open the downloaded exclusion file in a separate Notepad window and copy all the text in it. Then switch back to the one that's already installed in the "Registry Mechanic\log" folder and paste what you copied at the end of that already installed file. Then click save. Then move on to installing #2.

I could have made it a self-extracting zip archive but I opted not to because if someone already has exclusions that would only overwrite them which isn't good.

I haven't tried it yet, but this seems to be a little easier to follow. So, if I understand correctly, these exclusions that you wrote should ultimately end up in the Registry Mechanic "log" file -- right?

Here's where I show my ignorance -- oh well :D . . . why does all of this need to be done by way of Notepad rather than just copying the text directly into that folder?

• Moderators
I haven't tried it yet, but this seems to be a little easier to follow. So, if I understand correctly, these exclusions that you wrote should ultimately end up in the Registry Mechanic "log" file -- right?

They end up in the matching filenames of the .txt files included, for instance you copy what's in the downloaded exData.txt into: C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\logs\exData.txt

why does all of this need to be done by way of Notepad rather than just copying the text directly into that folder?

You only have to do the copy+paste if you already have exclusions listed in Registry Mechanic, doing so will keep them from being overwritted. However, if those exclusion .txt documents in the log folder are completely empty you could simply cut+paste the downloaded exclusion .txt files into the log folder and be done with it.

They end up in the matching filenames of the .txt files included, for instance you copy what's in the downloaded exData.txt into: C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\logs\exData.txt

You only have to do the copy+paste if you already have exclusions listed in Registry Mechanic, doing so will keep them from being overwritted. However, if those exclusion .txt documents in the log folder are completely empty you could simply cut+paste the downloaded exclusion .txt files into the log folder and be done with it.

That's good news. There's nothing currently in the log folder, so I guess I can use the straightforward approach.

Thanks, again, for all your help with this. I'm a new Registry Mechanic user -- and maybe exclusions aren't even necessary. However, it just seemed like there might be some very basic things you might not want to tamper with. Not really being all the "registry knowledgeable" myself, I thought if someone had a good starting point, it would be very helpful. Thanks again.

• Moderators
I thought if someone had a good starting point, it would be very helpful. Thanks again.

Yeah however that exclusion list is very basic, and I don't know how useful it will be, although it does protect a few shell folders.

Yeah however that exclusion list is very basic, and I don't know how useful it will be, although it does protect a few shell folders.

I just tried this, but I'm not sure I did it right. When you open Registry Mechanic, there's a Settings tab and an Ignore List tab. When you open the Ignore List, should these new items be displayed? -- mine aren't.

Maybe I didn't do it right. Am I supposed to copy the actual exKeys.txt and exData.txt files into the log file (as two complete units) -- or just the data/text itself that resides within each of those two files?

I just tried this, but I'm not sure I did it right. When you open Registry Mechanic, there's a Settings tab and an Ignore List tab. When you open the Ignore List, should these new items be displayed? -- mine aren't.

Maybe I didn't do it right. Am I supposed to copy the actual exKeys.txt and exData.txt files into the log file (as two complete units) -- or just the data/text itself that resides within each of those two files?

If you have nothing listed in the ignore section of Reg Mechanic (ie you haven't set any exceptions before this), just copy the two text files into the

'Log' folder. I've just done it that way without a problem.

If you have nothing listed in the ignore section of Reg Mechanic (ie you haven't set any exceptions before this), just copy the two text files into the

'Log' folder. I've just done it that way without a problem.

I did that too, but after it's done, still nothing is listed in the Ignore Section. Is it supposed to be?

It is for me :huh:

I have nothing in the Ignore List. Went back and looked at the Log folder, there are now four files in there:

exKeys.txt

exData.txt

Register.log

Scan.log

Have I done something wrong?