Registry Cleaner

Linda Sands

I have nothing in the Ignore List. Went back and looked at the Log folder, there are now four files in there:

exKeys.txt

exData.txt

Register.log

Scan.log

Have I done something wrong?

Well I have a couple more files than that in there but that should be working :huh:

If you go into Reg Mechanics options, in the general section does your version have an 'Open log folder' button, if so click that. Are those two files in the folder that opens?

If you go into Reg Mechanics options, in the general section does your version have an 'Open log folder' button, if so click that. Are those two files in the folder that opens?

I do have an "Open log folder" in the General section and when I open it, the two text files are in the folder, but still nothing displays in the actual "Ignore" section. By the way, I have two tabs in the Ignore section (Values and Keys) -- you probably have the same. I have checked both tabs -- nothing.

I do have an "Open log folder" in the General section and when I open it, the two text files are in the folder, but still nothing displays in the actual "Ignore" section. By the way, I have two tabs in the Ignore section (Values and Keys) -- you probably have the same. I have checked both tabs -- nothing.

You've definitely done it right by the sound of it. Maybe try downloading the two files again and putting them in the folder to replace the two that are there, maybe they got corrupted or something somewhere along the line (if that doesn't work I haven't got a clue what else could be the problem)

• Moderators

The download below is a self-extracting ZIP archive that will install the files to the correct location assuming you've installed Registry Mechanic in the default location. This will install the files without any copying or pasting.

Note: It will overwrite any already existing exclusions you have made in Registry Mechanic!

If this version doesn't work you're probably out of luck.

Registry Mechanic exclusion files (SFX ZIP version) download:

RegistryMechanicExclusions-Setup.exe

If this version doesn't work you're probably out of luck.[/color]

Registry Mechanic exclusion files (SFX ZIP version) download:

Thanks, again, Andavari!! You've gone way beyond the call of duty on this one. However, I hate to say it, but I guess I'm out of luck. I used the self-extracting file and it did exactly what I had done manually (per your iinstructions). The two files are in place all right, but still nothing shows up in the "Ignore Lists." JDPower has jumped in on this also and tried to help. I guess it worked for him perfectly. Not sure what my problem is, but let's just forget about the whole thing. You've spent way too much time on this. By the way, I'm using version 6.0 of RM. I assume you and JDPower are as well?

• Moderators
By the way, I'm using version 6.0 of RM.

I'm actually using the free giveaway version 5.0 from VNUNet that was offered last year. I even removed my exclusions that were installed and tried that downloadable SFX ZIP installer version and it worked because when I launched RM those exclusions were in there.

You using a licensed version 6.0 is probably why it didn't work if the developer changed some things. I had assumed you were also using that free giveaway version 5.0, guess not.

I'm actually using the free giveaway version 5.0 from VNUNet that was offered last year. I even removed my exclusions that were installed and tried that downloadable SFX ZIP installer version and it worked because when I launched RM those exclusions were in there.

You using a licensed version 6.0 is probably why it didn't work if the developer changed some things. I had assumed you were also using that free giveaway version 5.0, guess not.

Sorry for the version confusion -- I should have mentioned it earlier. It doesn't make a lot of sense that there would be that much difference between them, but who knows. Thanks again for trying so hard to help.

• Moderators

Hi Tom, you're not doing anything wrong. I've got the same version as you. and the ignore list in settings is not for the exclusions provided by Andavari.

The ignore list is for items that have appeared in a scan that you want to have ignored in future:

Ignore Lists

The Ignore List screen lists the values or subkeys that have been added to your ignore lists from the scan results screen. Any values you have added can be viewed and accessed by clicking the "Values" tab. Likewise, any subkeys added can be accessed by clicking on the "Keys" tab.

The Ignore List manager screen has three buttons below the lists, used for modifying items within your Value or Keys Ignore Lists. These functions only affect items within the selected list.

• Add - allows you to create a new value or subkey from scratch and add it to your list.
  • Remove - allows you to remove specific items from your Ignore Lists. To remove items from this list, select their check boxes and click the Remove button. You can remove single items by highlighting them and clicking this button.

Note: Registry Mechanic also contains an Internal Ignore List, which is separate from this Ignore List. Updates to this list are released periodically and can be obtained via Smart Update.

To put that more simply, after a scan, if you recognise an item scheduled for deletion, you can right click on it and you get a menu. One of the menu items is "add to ignore list". Don't worry about, I've never used it.

The exclusions (ie Andavari's list) are the internal ignore list, as highlighted in red above.

To put that more simply, after a scan, if you recognise an item scheduled for deletion, you can right click on it and you get a menu. One of the menu items is "add to ignore list". Don't worry about, I've never used it.

The exclusions (ie Andavari's list) are the internal ignore list, as highlighted in red above.

Hey Dennis -- thanks for weighing in on this. Andavari and JDPower have both been so very kind in trying to help me with this that I started to feel like a real dumb-dumb. Just glad to know that it wasn't totally me -- at least this time :rolleyes:

I think you're wrong there - the internal ignore lists are in the files igds.txt and igdskeys.txt, Andavari is not adding to those, he's adding to the exdata.txt and exkeys which are the user set exclusions.

Either way it must be a change in version 6 as I'm using version 5 too. You could try running a scan, ignoring a key and a value, then check that folder again and see what files it has saved them in (maybe it just names them something different). Then you could probably add Andavari's exclusions to those files.

• Moderators
I think you're wrong there - the internal ignore lists are in the files igds.txt and igdskeys.txt, Andavari is not adding to those, he's adding to the exdata.txt and exkeys which are the user set exclusions.

I'm more than happy to be wrong JD as long as we end up with the right answer for two different versions of Registry Mechanic.

I've searched through all the folders in RMs program files folder, and there is no igds.txt or igdskeys.txt, files to be found.

171fs908694_th.jpg

Are they somewhere else?

I've also searched through the very detailed on line help file, and apart from the Settings > Ignore list, and the above mentioned Internal Ignore list, there is no mention of any other form of user set exclusions list.

Andavari's files are in the log folder, which is described thus:

Log Scanning - Select this check box to make Registry Mechanic create log files that record the state of your system following a scan. These informative log files do not consume substantial disk space and it is recommended that this option remain selected for Support purposes.

Open Log Folder button - Click this button to open Registry Mechanic's log file directory. The files in this directory are used for Support purposes only and should not be edited.

Do the exclusion files work from that log folder, or is RM v6 different to v5?

I'm puzzled.

• Moderators
Do the exclusion files work from that log folder, or is RM v6 different to v5?

Probably the only way to find out is to exclude something in your version 6, then open the Registry Mechanic program folder and see if it created anything in there.

It would be a good idea to use an installation watching program so you'll know which files are the ones with different sizes, or if it's even using files at all and hasn't went to using the registry for storing the ignore list.

I'm more than happy to be wrong JD as long as we end up with the right answer for two different versions of Registry Mechanic.

I've searched through all the folders in RMs program files folder, and there is no igds.txt or igdskeys.txt, files to be found.

I think we can safely say that RM 6 handles exclusions differently to RM 5 then (I'm using version 5) :D

I agree with you mate, I've just updated RM's "white list" via Smart Update. Have no idea where it is. ;)

Tom at least knows he hasn't screwed up with those exclusions.

I agree. It appears that everybody's been right about everything they've said -- it simply comes down to a version issue. But one last time, I'd like to thank everyone for all the help they've offered on this subject. I sure didn't mean to start a "big battle. :D "

• 8 years later...

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum so I really don't know how to ask questions yet.

I am now running Windows 10 64-bit. The Microsoft Support Help Desk has told me that it is fine to use the CCleaner Registry Cleanup, only that I should not use it but about once per month. Sometimes I can do quite a bit of installing and uninstalling.

So, do you agree with this statement from Microsoft?

Thanks very much.