Deteriorating Undelete Functions?

I downloaded from filehippo.com all of the versions of recuva, & found to my surprise that the older ones seemed to detect more files to remove, say from about 1.02 something versions, to slightly less for the newer 1.02 versions, to even less for the 1.03 version, to hardly any in the 1.04 version.

What gives?

The program is nicely designed, & skin wise, hasn't changed very much which I don't mind, because it is a very nice & simple skin, but something under the hood has changed?

I am sure it has more support, more bug fixes etc, but, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

An undelete that doesn't find any files to undelete is almost worthless.

I love the program interface, I just wish the newer one could keep up with the older versions?

Many thanks to paying attention to bugs & all, but this is the most serious of all.

It seems for now, older finds more, so older is better.

Hope this is fixed in the next update or so.

Thanks!

I downloaded from filehippo.com all of the versions of recuva, & found to my surprise that the older ones seemed to detect more files to remove, say from about 1.02 something versions, to slightly less for the newer 1.02 versions, to even less for the 1.03 version, to hardly any in the 1.04 version.

What gives?

The program is nicely designed, & skin wise, hasn't changed very much which I don't mind, because it is a very nice & simple skin, but something under the hood has changed?

I am sure it has more support, more bug fixes etc, but, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

An undelete that doesn't find any files to undelete is almost worthless.

I love the program interface, I just wish the newer one could keep up with the older versions?

Many thanks to paying attention to bugs & all, but this is the most serious of all.

It seems for now, older finds more, so older is better.

Hope this is fixed in the next update or so.

Thanks!

i tried the new version as well - and while i do NOT show any difference in # of files the different versions i have reports, i still have my previously reported errors in the newer versions

the 2 most recent versions find all files, but can't recover them:

post-15122-1187639155_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1187639168_thumb.jpg

the older v101 finds same number of files and DOES recover them:

post-15122-1187639178_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1187639190_thumb.jpg

note that the newer versions are getting faster finding files, if they can just figure out how to get them to recover, they wll be great - in the meantime, i'll need to stay with the earlier version

outstanding product though (especially for the price :) )

thanks

s

post-15122-1187639155_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1187639168_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1187639178_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1187639190_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I have not noticed any significant difference in the number of files retrieved between versions (the odd one or two in 12,000 or so).

The OP doesn't say what o/s he is using, but Windows is somewhat of a shifty character, so I would expect some difference in files found when Recuva is run. Possibly the best thing is to install each version of Recuva as portable pgms on a flash drive and then run the tests, but even then you couldn't be sure of Windows stability. Not that this is going to change the number of files retrieved from thousands to zero.

To backup Steve, I have found one occasion when a 288k deleted file was shown as and recovered as 1k by 1.03, and 288k by a previous version. I haven't looked for any more.

Rgds.