Free Dvd Ripper/Burner

oli

• Moderators
Had a quick look in the freeware section and couldn't find one, is there one?

DVD Decrypter is a good peice of software, and I still have it configured with DVD Shrink 3.2 to do the burn.

However there's a more uptodate app called DVDFab HD Decrypter, which can decrypt the main movie in the first operation. This saves stripping some of it down after decryption, and I've found can decrypt stuff Decrypter fails with.

Shrink 3.2 you'll need to re-author the decrypted file/s small enough to get onto a single layer DVD.

If you need any more info, come back.

DVDFab HD Decrypter:

DVD Shrink 3.2: (Softpedia)

• Moderators

I rip movies with dvdfab.

Then shrink them to fit a single dvd by using shrinkto5.(just choose main movie and max fluid when you do it) This can be found on filehippo. Then burn them with ashampoo burner 5 which I got for free(I got the newer one too but it doesnt work for some reason)

• Moderators
(I got the newer one too but it doesnt work for some reason)

Same here, I had to keep reinstalling Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007 ("version 6") because of some file it had would always get corrupted or something as soon as I'd close it, after three reinstalls of it in a row I uninstalled it and moved over to ImgBurn for all my data burning while still using the best audio CD burning software in my opinion which is Burrrn.

rridgely . . . you said that you rip movies with dvdfab, then shrink them to fit a single dvd by using shrinkto5. How does the quality hold up once you compress (shrink) them? Just out of curiosity, if I had approx. 2hrs 20min worth of movie material, do you think "shrinkto5" would satisfactorily bring it down to a single DVD?

Andavari . . . I noticed that you've commented a few times about "Burrn." Do you really feel this is a good CD burning software -- what about features? Does it have DAO (disc-at-once) capability? I really need accurate burns and was wondering how you felt this stacked up against some of the more recognizable software in this category?

• Moderators

Well from what I've seen when you click main movie in shrink to 5 on most dvds it just rips out the special features, menus, ect. So your not loosing quality just crap that I never watch.

If you put the compression on max fluid you should get very good results. I have never noticed any artifacts or degraded quality in any of the movies I've burned.

• Moderators

I agree with rridgely, when I use shrink I just choose main movie to shrink as the other items are just extras such as all the credits of who played who etc, which everyone fast forwards anyway :)

No loss of quality Tom, just quantity.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I agree with rridgely, when I use shrink I just choose main movie to shrink as the other items are just extras such as all the credits of who played who etc, which everyone fast forwards anyway :)

No loss of quality Tom, just quantity.

Hazelnut . . . do you also use "Shrink to 5? I've seen another app "DVD Shrink," but don't really know anything about either one.

Then burn them with ashampoo burner 5 which I got for free(I got the newer one too but it doesnt work for some reason)

As you might be able to tell, I'm not much of a "video" guy, so this is all rather new to me. Be that as it may, I assume there are quite a few burner apps that will burn "video/images," but which ones will actually burn "movies" (other than the Ashampoo stuff)?

• Moderators
Hazelnut . . . do you also use "Shrink to 5? I've seen another app "DVD Shrink," but don't really know anything about either one.

I have stuck with dvd shrink and dvd decrypter as they have always worked for me.

Found this for you to read through Tom, I not suggesting you do it, as we all know copies should only be made for yourself from ones you own, and not for any other reason :)

This guide is what I first used a few years back, he's done it up a bit since then. As I said read it first.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide3.html

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Andavari . . . I noticed that you've commented a few times about "Burrn." Do you really feel this is a good CD burning software -- what about features? Does it have DAO (disc-at-once) capability? I really need accurate burns and was wondering how you felt this stacked up against some of the more recognizable software in this category?

Burrrn is perfect in my opinion! You don't need to worry about jargon like DAO, TAO or any of that because Burrrn creates gapless audio CD's natively. It has always created gapless audio CD's on my system that many other burning softwares claim they can do but ultimately fail to do.

The only thing it needs done optionally at the moment since it hasn't been updated in some time is for the user to update the backend programs such as lame.exe, flac.exe, oggdec.exe, and wvunpack.exe.

Note: The backend programs updating is only optional and isn't a necessity however I would highly recommend updating lame.exe which fixes some old decoding bug.

• Moderators
What's the procedure for doing this?

You download LAME 3.97 release if you want a known stable build, or LAME 3.98 Beta 5 which is the build I'm using from the URL that's linked in my post. Then you unzip lame.exe from the ZIP package into the Burrrn program folder and you're done.

You download LAME 3.97 release if you want a known stable build, or LAME 3.98 Beta 5 which is the build I'm using from the URL that's linked in my post. Then you unzip lame.exe from the ZIP package into the Burrrn program folder and you're done.

Thanks for the help!

I have stuck with dvd shrink and dvd decrypter as they have always worked for me.

Found this for you to read through Tom, I not suggesting you do it, as we all know copies should only be made for yourself from ones you own, and not for any other reason :)

This guide is what I first used a few years back, he's done it up a bit since then. As I said read it first.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide3.html

In your opinion, which of these two is more straight forward and easier to use?

Also, I had posted an earlier reply to rridgely about "movie" burning software, but as yet have not received a reply back. Other than Ashampoo's Burning Studio, do you know of any software that will work for this purpose -- movies -- not video images?

In some countries its illegal to make copies and circumvent drm of media that you even own. Thankfully my country isnt one of them.

Thanks for the suggestion about the freeware prog. I have tried it before and found that a number of DVDs in my collection had drm techniques not fixed by it. I find that AnyDVD's ease of use and regular updates is the only solution that works on 100% of my dvd library.

• Moderators
In your opinion, which of these two is more straight forward and easier to use?

Also, I had posted an earlier reply to rridgely about "movie" burning software, but as yet have not received a reply back. Other than Ashampoo's Burning Studio, do you know of any software that will work for this purpose -- movies -- not video images?

Tom, the combination of shrink and decrypter does the whole thing. Once set up via the guide you put in the discs (original and blank) and at the end you get a copy without having to do anything else apart from saying what you want to copy.

Unless you only have one drive and then you will have to swap discs in the middle.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Unless you only have one drive and then you will have to swap discs in the middle.

I only have one drive. So, can the disc(s) first be copied to the HD, or is this not the way it's done?

• Moderators
I only have one drive. So, can the disc(s) first be copied to the HD, or is this not the way it's done?

You need to copy it to the hard disk first anyways, that's how DVDDecrypter and DVDFab HD Decrypter are able to decrypt the disc by copying it to the hard disk. Then you can use tools like DVD Shrink to shrink the size if it's from a dual-layered disc 9.4 GB DVD and won't fit onto a standard 4.7 GB DVD, or re-author the disc and remove crap you don't want so that you can just have the main movie. Then you can use DVDDecrypter, or IMGBurn to burn the disc. Note: Some burning apps will only make coasters and the discs won't play on DVD players, which is why I only burn DVD movies with DVDDecrypter or IMGBurn.