CCleaner and Vista

AliceZ

Would anyone be using Vista Home Premium and CCleaner? We received new HP notebook with Vista Home Premium and have installed CCleaner.

We ran scan of Issues the past few nights before closing down our notebook, and notice a few times in the "Issues" there was the following:

Problem: Unused File Extenstion

Data: Open With List

Registry Key: HKCU\Softwre\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\FileExt\Open With List\

We keep deleting it (in CCleaner/ Issues), but then a day or two later, we see it again when we run CCleaner and look in Issues.(We opened the CCleaner by right clicking on the CCleaner.)

Some other folks have told me they see they same thing and after deleting it, they notice it back again (in the "Issues) a day or two later.

Anyone else see same thing? Thank you.

Would anyone be using Vista Home Premium and CCleaner? We received new HP notebook with Vista Home Premium and have installed CCleaner.

We ran scan of Issues the past few nights before closing down our notebook, and notice a few times in the "Issues" there was the following:

Problem: Unused File Extenstion

Data: Open With List

Registry Key: HKCU\Softwre\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\FileExt\Open With List\

We keep deleting it (in CCleaner/ Issues), but then a day or two later, we see it again when we run CCleaner and look in Issues.(We opened the CCleaner by right clicking on the CCleaner.)

Some other folks have told me they see they same thing and after deleting it, they notice it back again (in the "Issues) a day or two later.

Anyone else see same thing? Thank you.

HI iam also using CCleaner with Vista Home Premium. I too faced similar problem. Correctly saying in my view in home premium CCleaner is not able to clear the registry entrie Issues!!

While using beta version i am not able to use another major option of uninstalling programms!! WHen i opened beta version of cclenaer its showing Zero items in uninstall region.

Hey any mod or expert user can u help me why this is happening.

I also want to get to u r notice that even after removing googletoolbar from startup...... its just coing up again and again!! why is this happeningonly with this app?

HI iam also using CCleaner with Vista Home Premium. I too faced similar problem. Correctly saying in my view in home premium CCleaner is not able to clear the registry entrie Issues!!

While using beta version i am not able to use another major option of uninstalling programms!! WHen i opened beta version of cclenaer its showing Zero items in uninstall region.

Hey any mod or expert user can u help me why this is happening.

I also want to get to u r notice that even after removing googletoolbar from startup...... its just coing up again and again!! why is this happeningonly with this app?

Same issues here. Nothing in the uninstall section and 2 unused file extenstions almost right out of the box. Computer is only a couple of days old. Haven't tried to fix issues yet so I can't comment on unused file extenstions reappearing

• Moderators

Welcome to all 3 of you. :)

Try right clicking the CCleaner icon and choosing to run as administrator. Let me know if that fixes it.

Also there is a beta version of CCleaner 2 which is supposed to be a little more compatible with vista, so its worth giving that a shot. http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

------------

Massbeat CCleaner doesn't have anything to do with the google toolbar. It does however include the option to install the yahoo toolbar during installation only. (if you dont want the toolbar just uncheck it)

If thats not what you mean please explain and I'll do my best to help. :)

Try right clicking the CCleaner icon and choosing to run as administrator. Let me know if that fixes it.

Also there is a beta version of CCleaner 2 which is supposed to be a little more compatible with vista, so its worth giving that a shot. http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

------------

Massbeat CCleaner doesn't have anything to do with the google toolbar. It does however include the option to install the yahoo toolbar during installation only. (if you dont want the toolbar just uncheck it)

Thank you. I have been right clicking CCleaner since I installed CCleaner on this 10 day old HP notebook. Still, that (Issue) "Open With List" keeps appearing.

Just a few random thoughts on the issue. :rolleyes:

I run Vista as well, and get the same "issues".

I have never seen it as a problem though, any more than the "unused file extensions" registry entries. Both issues usually appear when I have unusal files such as split files - .001 .002 etc. Or if you right click and use the "open with" option.

It might be coincidence but in both cases, double clicking on the file doesn't open the necesary program, you either have to find the program yourself via the "open with" option, or open the program and then find the file.

The Registry Key: "....\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\FileExt\Open With List" you mentioned sounds like part of the same "problem". Prehaps CCleaner (or windows) see these as only temporary file asssociations that can be deleted. A kind of one off event that doesn't need to be stored.

I had never given it a second thought until now.

------------

Hi rridgely,

thankyou for the reply! I will try to do wht u have said. Coming to googletoolbar issue, it was with XP. What i mean to say is even after repetead removal of googletoolbar from start up (using CCleaner) its again shoots up when i restarts the pc. WHen i remove other programms ex. like gtalk it wont start up at restart of pc. I wonder is there anyother way to remove googletoolbar from start up programms!!!!

If iam still cant able to explain my problem.... please leave it!

------------

Thank you rridgely, opening in run as admin. showed the uninstall list. Only been using Vista myself for a couple of days (not that I ever knew alot about XP or 2000) but so far I'm not dissatisfied.