What Icons do you have on your desktop?

rridgely

well... I don't think that's available in RK Launcher. You can add files but you have to either click / double click it to open.

Yep.. i agree with you englishmen. RK Launcher is nice and very simple.

23220[/snapback]

Well after playing with RK most of the nite I think I've finally got to grips with it. My main problem was I was still running OD, OMG the PC didn't like that :lol:

I do feel a bit of pratt, and I do agree englishman it's kinda simple once understand what's going.

Defo a RK convert here. B)

• 1 month later...

I don't know much about this stuff in fact I just got XP cause I built a system. I've used it before of course but not on my home pc. I do want to customize my xp desktop and shell (that's all the behind the scenes icons and stuff right?) to look something like what Englishman has here:

http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled11vk.jpg

Does changing your desktop like this eat up more system resources, cause glitches, etc? Is it difficult to go back to the stock windows if it doesn't work out like I thought? Are yahoo widgets recommended or is that some crazy bloated deal?

It seems there's more than one way to customize, any specific customizing programs should I stay away from?

Does any of this customizing have anything to do with the Longhorn Transformation Pack?

Thanks

Okay, I just downloaded and I'm trying to to work out RK Launcher. I'm actually cool with that little application! It seems really visually pleasing. So I don't need to modify the shell or whatever for now. :) However, either I'm blind or I'm missing something obvious because it seems there's no true "How-to" or "help" file included with RK? Just as a newbie example, now that I got RK running what do I do with the Windows bar? Or how do I install docklets and modify the launcher? And If I got three instances of Firefox going how do I know which one i'm on if? Is this a matter of sifting thru their forums?

Thanks

Your right RK doesn't have a "help" file and yes it was all trial and error for me too. To make the task bar disappear you need to right click on RK pick settings, then choose the tab behavior. Then click "hide the task bar". You can also change the seeting to show where your minimize goes to, ie shows up on the dock.

One docklet you might want ot look for is called "task docklet" this shows what you have open at anytime.

I couple of good website to go to are http://www.wincustomize.com/index.aspx?u=0, this has loads of docklet for, look under the objectdock section. It's also a great source for icons, wallpapers etc.

For help try http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=81. You'll need to search around this one for help, but it's where the developer sits most of the time. Word of warning, the mods of this forum are ruthless.

Once you get the hang of it, it's cool bit of software.

Hope that helps you at least.

After playing with RK for a while I don't think I will continue using it. I noticed on my system that simply hovering over RK makes the cpu usage spike up a heck of a lot! I learned from their forum that adjusting the magnification eases this a bit but then it's not as fun to use. Then again maybe I am TOO accustomed to the windows task bar. :)

Oh yeah, I know I initially wasn't reading what I should have in this thread cause Englishmen lists the apps/icons he used to mod his desktop. I was taken aback by the cleanliness of his desktop and missed all that other stuff. :huh:

Thanks