Firefox 2.0.0.6 binned. Problems went with it.

DennisD

No I didn't, I see your point because on another machine I have no problems at all so haven't switched firefox back.

I think it might be my firefox profile ....

Is there an easy way to bring favorites AND saved passwords across to a new profile as it would be nice to start clean?

fireryone

Is there an easy way to bring favorites AND saved passwords across to a new profile as it would be nice to start clean?

With this Vista install I can copy "C:\Users\"USERNAME"\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" folder to another partition then copy it back if the need arises and it seemed to put everything back as it was.

Tabs, passwords, addons etc...

Only done this once a while back but I'm fairly sure it worked. :unsure:

• Moderators
With this Vista install I can copy "C:\Users\"USERNAME"\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" folder to another partition then copy it back if the need arises and it seemed to put everything back as it was.

It would actually, put everything back as it was.

The only problem though is if the Firefox profile is broken it would still be broken in the fresh installation because of files like prefs.js, or whatever else could be messed up. If I were to do a clean install the only file I'd copy to a new profile would be the bookmarks which is bookmarks.html.

Come to think of it I haven't did a fresh Firefox install for months, so when Mozilla releases version 2.0.0.7 I will be doing a fresh install of Firefox.

• Moderators
Bookmark these links and you will always have the installers for previous versions of Firefox. These links have the full installers and the patches if you just need them.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...refox/releases/

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

Yes sir! I did as I was told and bookmarked both of them. Thank you for providing those URL's I never knew about them.

• Moderators
Nice tool that JD. Why didn't we think of looking for an extension?

That extension works!

However I just use a batch file I crafted to duplicate some files like copying prefs.js to prefs.js.backup, then copy bookmarks.html file into My Documents so that I can link to it in IE's favourites without having to churn through a bunch of folders, and then finally I have the command line version of 7-Zip backup the whole Firefox profile folder to my secondary hard disk. I know it sounds like a mouthful however it's only about eight lines in a batch file to back it all up, and it works like a charm because I always use that backup after trying an extension since some leave remnants behind in prefs.js.

That extension works!

However I just use a batch file I crafted to duplicate some files like copying prefs.js to prefs.js.backup, then copy bookmarks.html file into My Documents so that I can link to it in IE's favourites without having to churn through a bunch of folders, and then finally I have the command line version of 7-Zip backup the whole Firefox profile folder to my secondary hard disk. I know it sounds like a mouthful however it's only about eight lines in a batch file to back it all up, and it works like a charm because I always use that backup after trying an extension since some leave remnants behind in prefs.js.

Don't need to do any of that with FEBE, just schedule a daily/weekly (whatever) backup and thats it. I like it a lot and it saved me no end of time when installing FF on my new laptop.