Firefox 2.0.0.6 binned. Problems went with it.

DennisD

• Moderators

Information only guys:

Been having a few problems last couple of days with cd/dvd drive and connecting to the internet,

Drive problem sorted itself out somehow, but been really struggling to get connected today, and when connected, could not find any servers 99% of the time.

As a last resort, decided to uninstall the latest Firefox.

I've no idea if this was really the cause, but since reinstalling Firefox 2.0.0.4 (always keep installer packages), I'm connecting immediately, and web pages are jumping onto the screen.

Was this FF 2.0.0.6 to blame, or one of the add ons?

I have no idea, and I couldn't be arsed to try and elliminate them one by one. The only addon I have at the moment is Flashblock, and I intend to keep it this way for now. I'm not even installing a theme.

I've no doubt FF 2.0.0.6 is working fine for some of you, but if you get similar problems, it's a good place to start.

Hope this is useful.

:)

• Moderators

Firefox 2.0.0.6 definately has some very noticeable problems. As I mentioned here on another forum, as well on these forums.

You may want to try something that worked for me, quoted from another thread:

"I did fix some of my problems on this forum by rebooting my DSL modem, followed by releasing and renewing my IP address."

use Opera

That's like telling an Opera user to downgrade to Internet Exploiter, well sorta, well maybe not but close. :P

Stupid question really, but have you checked your connection under "Advanced -> network-> settings.

Make sure your not trying to connect to something other than your ISP. Mine looks like this on a broadband cableconnection:

th_35610_Untitled_122_669lo.jpg

• Moderators

Firefox 2.0.0.6 screws up on my system by stalling and not loading pages and it has a direct connection. Actually the problem existed way before Firefox 2.0.0.6, it just happened to resurface with the newest release.

• Moderators
Stupid question really, but have you checked your connection under "Advanced -> network-> settings.

No such thing as a stupid question lotse, stupid answers maybe, and I've been there. :D

Tried everything today. Reinstalled modem drivers, verified my username and password.

Everything configured right. Nothing worked until went back to FF 2.0.0.4.

I'm still Firefox 100%, but there must have been something about that version, or one of the add ons.

Truth be told, I'm only bothered that it's working now for whatever reason, and I hope as few people as possible get the same problem.

Off topic slightly, did you like the chess program? I'll go back to that thread when I've tried those bitbases or whatever you call them.

Off topic slightly, did you like the chess program? I'll go back to that thread when I've tried those bitbases or whatever you call them.

I'll let you know when I get round to having a game :rolleyes: Hopefully sometime soon.

Back to yor PC problems. What with CD/DVD drive problems and connection problems, it really sounds like the best solution might be a reformat... :(

For all the hassle, it can be a real breath of fresh air. You can start again with all the benefits of hindsight.

I feel like a bit of a cop-out merchant, but two hours of hassle will probably save you umpteen hours of frustration and hairpulling later on.

As Clint Eastwood said " A man's got to know his limitations" :lol::lol:

Best of luck

• Moderators
Well Firefox is working well on 3 machines here. I am using 2.0.0.6 and have 12 extensions on two of the machines and 14 on another.

One thing I've learned over the last few months, some things you just can't figure.

I'm only keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that the problem wasn't something else. I'd hate to be back at square one.

Hope everything keeps on working for you.

Going off on a slight tangent here, I still can't get Opera to connect to the internet no matter what I do. The Opera forums can't even figure that one out, and I'm not the only one with that puzzler.

• Moderators
Back to yor PC problems. What with CD/DVD drive problems and connection problems, it really sounds like the best solution might be a reformat... :(

This afternoon, I was at the stage of doing that, for the very reasons you say. I even got right to the point of pressing the key for a Destructive Recovery.

And as mentioned I think in the other thread, I just thought I'd stick a cd in again, just in case. I really couldn't face downloading all those windows updates etc again.

And lo and behold, the drive was working perfectly again. I have no idea why, and everything is working great now.

Computers. ;)

This afternoon, I was at the stage of doing that, for the very reasons you say. I even got right to the point of pressing the key for a Destructive Recovery.

And as mentioned I think in the other thread, I just thought I'd stick a cd in again, just in case. I really couldn't face downloading all those windows updates etc again.

And lo and behold, the drive was working perfectly again. I have no idea why, and everything is working great now.

Computers. ;)

The CD/DVD drive could be a hardware problem. In that case a reformat will do you no good. If you are having problems with both Opera and Firefox connecting to the net than it can't be a problem with just Firefox unless I am understanding you wrong.

Check the "shell hardware detection service" in services is set to auto and has started in relation to the cd/dvd problem.

For the connection problem you could try to flush the dns.

Open command and type - " ipconfig /flushdns " - enter.

If still no go you could try "OpenDNS" settings which requires manually setting your dns settings which is quite easy to do.

On rare occassions my server has had probs and switching to Opendns settings allows me to connect.

OpenDNS link

• Moderators
The CD/DVD drive could be a hardware problem. In that case a reformat will do you no good. If you are having problems with both Opera and Firefox connecting to the net than it can't be a problem with just Firefox unless I am understanding you wrong.

Yeah, reformatting wouldn't have solved a hardware problem, but it would have eliminated a software one, and saved me carting my pc back to PCWorld for nothing. Imagine how embarrassing that would have been. :)

The Opera problem was really different. As soon as I double clicked the Opera icon I got the message "can't find server", although it never even tried to launch my broadband connection, and I'm definitely not going there again. Firefox launched my broadband service, was trying to connect, but hung just before the "registering your computer on the network" point, and occasionally connected.

Binning FF 2.0.0.6 and reinstalling FF 2.0.0.4 immediately solved the connection problem for me, and I kid you not, my browsing speed has increased dramatically as a result. Why? No idea.

It might not work for all, but it worked for me.

Check the "shell hardware detection service" in services is set to auto and has started in relation to the cd/dvd problem.

For the connection problem you could try to flush the dns.

Open command and type - " ipconfig /flushdns " - enter.

If still no go you could try "OpenDNS" settings which requires manually setting your dns settings which is quite easy to do.

On rare occassions my server has had probs and switching to Opendns settings allows me to connect.

OpenDNS link

Thanks for your input Humpty, "shell hardware detection service" is running and set to auto.

I flushed DNS with Dial a Fix, and I've been using OpenDNS for some time now. I reverted to "obtain DNS server address automatically", and back to "openDNS", but neither option made a difference. Changing Firefox version made an immediate difference.

hmm, i'll look into firefox to see if it is causing my problems.

Definitely worth a try, but don't blame me if it doesn't work. :D

But if it does, please come back and tell everybody.

And I've still no idea what happened to my CD/DVD drive, or why it started working perfectly again.

Possibly reinstalling all the preinstalled drivers may have needed a few reboots to make a difference. Important thing is it's working.

Thanks for all your input, appreciated.

I've made the jump back to 2.0.0.4 as well.

Ever time I did a google maps search I could only do one then have to refresh and re-enter my desitnations, or the search button wouldn't work, similar thing was happening to other forms as well.. :(

fireryone

• Moderators
Is there any particular reason you two have went back to version 2.0.0.4 versus the previous 2.0.0.5?

Simple in my case, I still have the 2.0.0.4 installer package, and I never had a problem with it.

• Moderators
Simple in my case, I still have the 2.0.0.4 installer package, and I never had a problem with it.

O.K. I've went back to 2.0.0.5, thank goodness Filehippo.com keeps those older installers otherwise I would've probably been hunting for it.

• Moderators
I know, should have asked the same question as you, why version 2.0.0.4 :lol::)

Downgrading has fixed all the problems I was having. The only problem though is we're now using versions with known security exploits, oh well it's still safer than IE.

O.K. I've went back to 2.0.0.5, thank goodness Filehippo.com keeps those older installers otherwise I would've probably been hunting for it.

Bookmark these links and you will always have the installers for previous versions of Firefox. These links have the full installers and the patches if you just need them.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...refox/releases/

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

A question for you who were having problems with 2.0.0.6: did you try to run Firefox in Safe Mode (without any plugins)? This is always the first thing I try when I have a problem with certain softwares (like Firefox or Outlook).

To start Firefox in Safe Mode: Start -> Mozilla Firefox -> Firefox (Safe Mode).