WindowsXP SP3

Humpty

I won't be going near SP3 but some may find this of interest.

In addition to the now infamous Vista SP1 being released, Microsoft also dropped the small 350MB Service Pack 3 for the aging Windows XP!

Vista SP1 was released to a tight small group of lucky beta testers, it isnt clear if WinXP SP3 was released to the same testers, but it was let out to a equally lucky group of beta testers!! This build is tagged 5.1.2600.3180 (xpsp.070718-2058) Just as the unclear release dates of Vista SP1, XP SP3 is just as cloudy.

Some say we wont see an offical release untill 1st quater 2008, but this alpha pre-release of SP3 is a good sign.

Article

I did a clean install of Windows XP Professional (English, 32bit, Volume License) with Service Pack 2 integrated in a Virtual Machine. After that I installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta build 3180.

The SP3 executable pack is named windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe. So there we have the reserved KB article number. The size of the pack is 332 MB.

When installing is replaces and backs up 2,848 files (456 MB) to C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$

As before it also archives the SP3 itself in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

2,921 Files (552 MB)

Lucky harddisk space is not an issue these days....

After installing I noticed nothing new visually yet in the Bootscreen or UI. All I noticed was that Remote Desktop Client was updated to 6.1 and that IE6 said SP3 in aboput screen.

Of course a lot of bugfixes since SP2, I mean 2848 files are renewed, I have no wireless in the VM but I assume WPA2 support is now included and High Def Audio devices are detected without need of a hotfix.

Other Article

• Moderators

I just read about SP3-beta a couple of days ago on Softpedia.com. Hopefully it's ready by early 2008 as the Softpedia.com article stated.

Of course it would cover all the previous patches right? If so it will give me a lot of relief from patching manually :D

It's a service pack, so yes it should.

Sounds like typical MS pos bloat ware. That thing is huge. I am getting a Mac sooner rather than later.

It will probably include every update ever released to XP. I don't think thats bloatware..

It will be a great update and save lots of time formatting. Shame there is no new features, but its expected since the release of Vista..

OK so Service Pack 3 will include all the updates that have been released since Service Pack 2. So if like me you are running SP2 and keep it fully updated what will Service Pack 3 do for you? I mean you already have all the updates if you are keeping XP updated. Does SP3 just over wright the updates you already have? Unless It has some new feature or security improvements whats the point? It makes sense if you have to reinstall XP SP2 than instead of going to Windows Updates and downloading the 42 million updates that have been released it would be easier to install SP3. When SP2 came out it had a bunch of new features so it made sense to put it in. I will probably wait until I need to redo Windows before installing SP3 I don't see any reason to install it if you are up to date with SP2.

I would imagine you won't be able to avoid the MS Genuine Advantage Notification BS with SP3 either. It will probably be included. I just reject it now every time they try to sneak it in as a critical update.

• Moderators
It will probably include every update ever released to XP. I don't think thats bloatware.

Agreed. And really in the case of SP3 even if it's 350MB or thereabouts, or nowhere near it - it really doesn't matter because it's a download it once, then immediately burn it to CD-R for future use kind of thing. Anyone worried about the download size shouldn't forget that Microsoft is generally pretty good at offering CD's via snail mail for a small fee to cover the shipping+handling, which will probably be a necessity for people on dial-up whom don't have a friend that could download and burn then a copy.

. . . instead of going to Windows Updates and downloading the 42 million updates that have been released. . . :lol: . . . it would be easier to install SP3.

I am lucky enough to have a fast connection, but it might be a good idea to get SP3 onto a CD, make it easier if you have to reinstall WXP. 350 mb or 42,000,000 updates would take a long time.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I am lucky enough to have a fast connection, but it might be a good idea to get SP3 onto a CD, make it easier if you have to reinstall WXP. 350 mb or 42,000,000 updates would take a long time.

Why would some one with XP SP2 fully updated install SP3? If you are fully updated you already have all the updates installed that XP SP3 has. I only see a use for it if I reinstall XP than it 's easier to get it up to date by installing SP3. Is there some major new features like SP2 had?

I agree with you AnthonyA, and also have no reason to think there is anything new in SP3, but will have to wait and see.

But, I am going to get it on CD ASAP in case I ever have to do another reinstall. If SP3 really is a rollup and has all the updates, I might get by with little more than using the originals and that one CD to reinstall.

Like Rridgely, I am going to stay away from SP3 until it is has run a bit. <_<

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Microsoft is generally pretty good at offering CD's via snail mail for a small fee to cover the shipping+handling, which will probably be a necessity for people on dial-up whom don't have a friend that could download and burn then a copy.

I was lucky, I use to have dial up, but I got the SP2 CD sent to me for free :)

Move to Vista. The kernel improvements alone from Windows Server 2008 is enough to justify the benefit this gives to users beyond XP. Not to mention the thousands of improvements elsewhere.

If you use properly optimised drivers, the Vista drivers now are comparable to the XP ones. The early drivers did not have the polish that XP has from naturally years of refinement....but current benchmarks show comparable performance on properly configured Vista systems. To claim that its bloated and slow is to dismiss clear evidence to the contrary.

As for the question of what SP3 does for XP MS has not released that information outside of the small external ms connect group. Its on connect only.

• Moderators
so if you want those bugs solved, then it will be necessary to update to sp3

Agreed! Also I wouldn't doubt if Microsoft at some point phased out updating support on Microsoft Update/Windows Update for SP2 which is really wise in order to get hard headed people to update - it's sort of Borgish "You must comply." :lol:

Also I wouldn't doubt if Microsoft at some point phased out updating support on Microsoft Update/Windows Update for SP2 which is really wise in order to get hard headed people to update - it's sort of Borgish "You must comply." :lol:

Just like microsoft did already with Windows XP without SP1 and Windows XP with SP1

There is sound technical reasons why MS did the right thing by dropping XP and XP SP1 support. XP SP2 was going to be a new OS but the decision was made for it to be a free SP. Before SP2 XP was a disaster from a number of technical fronts.