http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/216...photo-commander

Info from the Ashampoo website

http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/product_2_0618_.htm

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

This thing is actually rather cool for being able to view photos, and even view videos and play the occasional MP3. It even has a built in CD burning part to burn photos to a CD-R.

Note: In order for it to playback stuff you'll still need an audio/video codec pack like K-LITE Mega Codec Pack, that's how it's able to playback an OGG on my system.

My overall impression is it isn't bad at all for an all-in-one viewer.

Edit:

It can mass-convert image formats too! This is going to replace IrfanView on my system and become my main image viewer!

• Moderators
Ashampoo Photo commander 4

Nice one Hazel. Thanks for the link.

My overall impression is it isn't bad at all for an all-in-one viewer.

Edit:

It can mass-convert image formats too! This is going to replace IrfanView on my system and become my main image viewer!

Whoa, I can feel your excitement rippling across the pond. And I'm only saying that because I'm a long way from Iowa. :D

I'm looking forward to trying this.

• Moderators
Whoa, I can feel your excitement rippling across the pond. And I'm only saying that because I'm a long way from Iowa. :D

I started off thinking it was going to be bloated, and actually it kind of is bloated however it's like getting an expensive photo management software completely for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the built in vista stuff for photos. personally I use imgburn cos its fast, reliable and not bloated like nero. I dont subscribe to codec packs - for those codecs I need that arent in default vista ultimate I use the latest builds of ffdshow tryouts which nicely does DTS, H.264, Mpeg4-ASP and so on. The decoders in ffdshow are mostly libavcodec from the unix world made into directshow filters for wintel. They are very fast and error resiliant. Note however I dont like how ffdshow defaults mp3, ac3 and lpcm when Vista has those already and I also disable the mixer.

• Moderators
Who uses there brand anyway

I do. Even their trial period on some of their software is more gracious than other companies. Most of their software that I've tried I've liked very much. I just wish Burning Studio 2007 version 6 wouldn't go kaput on my system because I'd use it, but I'm very happy with IMGBurn at the moment and really have no reason to use anything else.

Edit:

Ok, silly question time...

Why would you need to mass convert any one format to another? Apart from the occassional huge .bmp file, I've never found a need.

MS paint will allow you to covert any image file to any other

Btw you can clean and reduce the size of your Jpegs with this free software:

JPG Cleaner v2.6

http://www.rainbow-software.org/programs.html

• Moderators

Well mass converting to for example a JPEG is useful for making a photo CD that will play in a DVD player to give to family, it beats going through a folder of hundreds of photos doing it one at a time. I haven't tested yet if Photo Commander makes complaint JPEG's that DVD players recognize, I know IrfanView doesn't.

I've used a free JPEG optimizer before many years ago, however since I primarily use the PNG format which doesn't suffer the nasty pixilation of the JPEG format I've never had a use for one, and instead use a PNG optimizer.

How does this differ from Irfanview which does mass conversion of image files?

Can the Slideshow feature create slideshows with audio that can be converted to a video file and be burned to a disk?

Does the Slideshow feature allow for creative wipes and pans, and adjustable lengths of time between photo changes (a la Proshow Gold)?

I'm asking because no matter how I adjust my firewall security, I can't get the Ashampoo site's Javascript feature to work.

• Moderators
Btw you can clean and reduce the size of your Jpegs with this free software:

JPG Cleaner v2.6

http://www.rainbow-software.org/programs.html

Photo Commander also has a JPEG cleaner/reducer that I stumbled upon.

How does this differ from Irfanview which does mass conversion of image files?

Can the Slideshow feature create slideshows with audio that can be converted to a video file and be burned to a disk?

Does the Slideshow feature allow for creative wipes and pans, and adjustable lengths of time between photo changes (a la Proshow Gold)?

I'm asking because no matter how I adjust my firewall security, I can't get the Ashampoo site's Javascript feature to work.

Software-based firewall or a hardware firewall?

I've had software-based firewalls block functionality on websites before or whole websites (such as Sygate Personal Firewall blocking Apple.com) and I'd just enable the Windows Firewall to visit those sites while also disabling the third-party firewall - of course remembering to undo the firewall changes when I was done.

The mass converter in IrfanView is better in my opinion, but then again I could be biased towards it!

I went back to IrfanView which I really started missing just for a somewhat simple and really fast loading image viewer. If Photo Commander had the functionality and ease of use of Paint.NET built into it I probably would've kept it installed, but no joy.

I'm not sure about slideshows in Photo Commander I didn't even notice if it had that functionality hence I didn't really dig too far into it to use everything.

Software-based firewall or a hardware firewall?

I've had software-based firewalls block functionality on websites before or whole websites (such as Sygate Personal Firewall blocking Apple.com) and I'd just enable the Windows Firewall to visit those sites while also disabling the third-party firewall - of course remembering to undo the firewall changes when I was done.

It's a software firewall. I use ZA Pro and configure all sites differently. After disabling "block Javascript" and "block embedded objects" in the Mobile Code tab of the Privacy section of ZA Pro, I was finally able to use the Javascript description tabs on the Ashampoo site. It didn't give much info on the slideshow feature, though.