Inspiron B130

James78

Today, I just went up from 512mbs of ram to 2 gigs of ram, and there was absolutely no increase in performance, which I needed. I can't open programs without everything getting choppy. There was no decrease in performance, nothing happened at all, except that the system ram shows that I have 2 gigs.

I felt like I just wasted $89.

My desktop which only has 470mbs of ram, or so, ran smoother than my laptop even when it was severely infected. Anyone know what could be the problem?

• Moderators

It could be many things...

When was the last time you defragged?

Last time you cleaned up disk space on your hard drive?

Are you running at full power settings or mobile/laptop?

Do you have a lot of programs in startup?

Is your pagefile to big?

Are any unnecessary services running?

Do you have a virus or spyware?

Are all your drivers up to date?

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

It could be many things...

When was the last time you defragged?

Last time you cleaned up disk space on your hard drive?

Are you running at full power settings or mobile/laptop?

Do you have a lot of programs in startup?

Is your pagefile to big?

Are any unnecessary services running?

Do you have a virus or spyware?

Are all your drivers up to date?

Last Defrag was probably a couple months ago, I also cleaned my disk space a month ago. I don't know about full power settings. Are you talking about what programs start-up when the computer turns on? page file is at 512 mbs, and I have everything I need running, and a few menial things. I don't have virus or spyware, and how do I check to make sure my drivers are up to date?

I was told that increasing my ram in my laptop would dramatically increase the laptops performance, so this is weird.

• Moderators

Going from 512MB to 2GB, you should notice startup and programs start quicker. Going from 1GB to 1GB+, you will only notice a very slight increase.

By full power. I mean by default on laptops the power settings are for Portable/Laptop. Right click on the desktop, click Properties, Screen Saver, Power... Your power scheme will be on Portable/Laptop (meaning it's not using full CPU power). If you plug it up on a AC adapter at home, set your Power scheme to Always On. This is will use your CPU power, just if you go mobile with it, set it to Portable/Laptop, otherwise the battery will only last about 2 hours max.

Dell should have a Help/Support page for drivers for your laptop. Windows Update may have some of them, but they could be outdated by a version or two. Windows Update is slow about getting up to date drivers.

I would recommend this:

Run CCleaner

Create a System Restore Point

Run Disk Cleaner (More Options, System Restore, Clean up) Not many do this and it does up a lot of space over a period of time.

Defrag

My Computer, right click on C: (or main drive), Tools, Error Checking, check both, Start (reboot) This is will take sometime (don't be in a hurry for it).

I recommend running CCleaner once a week (at min.) and do the System Restore clean up about every month. Defrag about every month if you are a heavy user. Do Error Checking about every 2-3 months.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

Going from 512MB to 2GB, you should notice startup and programs start quicker. Going from 1GB to 1GB+, you will only notice a very slight increase.

By full power. I mean by default on laptops the power settings are for Portable/Laptop. Right click on the desktop, click Properties, Screen Saver, Power... Your power scheme will be on Portable/Laptop (meaning it's not using full CPU power). If you plug it up on a AC adapter at home, set your Power scheme to Always On. This is will use your CPU power, just if you go mobile with it, set it to Portable/Laptop, otherwise the battery will only last about 2 hours max.

Dell should have a Help/Support page for drivers for your laptop. Windows Update may have some of them, but they could be outdated by a version or two. Windows Update is slow about getting up to date drivers.

I would recommend this:

Run CCleaner

Create a System Restore Point

Run Disk Cleaner (More Options, System Restore, Clean up) Not many do this and it does up a lot of space over a period of time.

Defrag

My Computer, right click on C: (or main drive), Tools, Error Checking, check both, Start (reboot) This is will take sometime (don't be in a hurry for it).

I recommend running CCleaner once a week (at min.) and do the System Restore clean up about every month. Defrag about every month if you are a heavy user. Do Error Checking about every 2-3 months.

I've ran all those programs in the past, and still do, but the preformance never changes. I put the computer on always on, but nothing has changed. I run CCleaner commonly enough.

Oh, and I couldn't find where dell has driver updates for my laptop

Time of this report: 8/8/2007, 23:58:31

Machine name: ORAC

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: ME051

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05

Processor: Intel? Pentium? M processor 1.70GHz

Memory: 2040MB RAM

Page File: 520MB used, 1876MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Have you defragged your registry and your paging files?

I don't know how to do the registry and paging files. I know I tried to do a disc error clean, or something similar to that, and I couldn't. It would literally takes over a day for it to finish at the rate it was going.

I switched the 2 gigs out and put back in the 512mb, and it's running basically the same, just with less memory now.

The simplest way to defrag the registry and paging files, is to use PageDefrag

There are better registry defrag programs and you could defrag the paging files by simply disabling and enabling it using Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change, but I suggest PageDefrag since it does both simply and you don't have to install it.

Post a hijackthis log so I can see what software your running and if your virus free. :)

I'll work on the pagedefrag.

I hope everything's ok

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)

Scan saved at 11:05:38 PM, on 8/9/2007

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe

C:\Program Files\ProcessTamer\ProcessTamerTray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\James Incarnate\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: QFX Software KeyScrambler - {2B9F5787-88A5-4945-90E7-C4B18563BC5E} - C:\Program Files\KeyScrambler\KeyScramblerIE.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll (file missing)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

O4 - Startup: ProcessTamer.lnk = C:\Program Files\ProcessTamer\ProcessTamerTray.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?

O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Flash - res://C:\Program Files\UnH Solutions\Flash Saving Plugin\FlashSButton.dll/210

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {5C106A59-CC3C-4caa-81A4-6D909B5ACE23} - C:\Program Files\KeyScrambler\KeyScramblerIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &KeyScrambler... - {5C106A59-CC3C-4caa-81A4-6D909B5ACE23} - C:\Program Files\KeyScrambler\KeyScramblerIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra button: Flash - {43CF38F3-5AEC-45a3-AD31-04EB06E9C6CA} - C:\Program Files\UnH Solutions\Flash Saving Plugin\FlashSButton.dll (HKCU)

O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/kavwebscan_unicode.cab

O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll

O16 - DPF: {5D6F45B3-9043-443D-A792-115447494D24} (UnoCtrl Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/EN-US/a-UNO1/GAME_UNO1.cab

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1148607790350

O16 - DPF: {7E980B9B-8AE5-466A-B6D6-DA8CF814E78A} (MJLauncherCtrl Class) - http://zone.msn.com/bingame/luxr/default/mjolauncher.cab

O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/ZIntro.cab56649.cab

O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe...nt.cab56907.cab

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab

O16 - DPF: {ED28050F-D713-43BA-A376-DCC5C35407D5} (MsnMusicAx Class) - http://entimg.msn.com/client/msnmusax4123.cab

O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL

O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll

O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe

O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe

O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpbpro.exe

O23 - Service: HP Status Server - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpboid.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe

O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe

--

End of file - 9434 bytes

• Moderators

The log looks ok.

There are a few things you could drop from running but with 2gigs of ram your computer should be running just fine with those.

Just to double check I would run this scan:

Run Kaspersky WebScanner

• Please go HERE and click Kaspersky Online Scanner
  • Read and Accept the Agreement
  • You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • If you see a Windows dialog asking if you want to install this software, click the Install button.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files,
  • When the "Update progress" line changes to "Ready" and the "NEXT ->" button becomes available, please click on it.
  • Click on the Scan Settings button, and in the next window select the Extended database, and click Ok.
  • Under "Please select a target to scan:", click My Computer to start the scan.
  • When the scan is finished, click the "Save as Text" button, and save the file as kavscan.txt to your Desktop, close the Kaspersky On-line Scanner window.
  • Paste kaspersky log onto forum.

The log looks ok.

There are a few things you could drop from running but with 2gigs of ram your computer should be running just fine with those.

Just to double check I would run this scan:

Run Kaspersky WebScanner

• Please go HERE and click Kaspersky Online Scanner
  • Read and Accept the Agreement
  • You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • If you see a Windows dialog asking if you want to install this software, click the Install button.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files,
  • When the "Update progress" line changes to "Ready" and the "NEXT ->" button becomes available, please click on it.
  • Click on the Scan Settings button, and in the next window select the Extended database, and click Ok.
  • Under "Please select a target to scan:", click My Computer to start the scan.
  • When the scan is finished, click the "Save as Text" button, and save the file as kavscan.txt to your Desktop, close the Kaspersky On-line Scanner window.
  • Paste kaspersky log onto forum.

The problem is, when I run any type of scan it can take hours to a whole day to complete.

That and 2 gigs did not help at all, it runs the same as 512mbs on my laptop.