Task Manager Multiple instances of same procceses

oli

A picture is worth a thousand words. lots of duplicated procceses like avg, ati stuff, task manager etc. This is on my new vista laptop

taskmanagerjo8.jpg

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

A picture is worth a thousand words. lots of duplicated procceses like avg, ati stuff, task manager etc. This is on my new vista laptop

It looks like you have two scheduled tasks occuring at the same time. Defragmenter and antivirus update? It wouldn't worry me. Certainly not with only two scheduled tasks.

Ok, I have 40. Does that make it seem any better? The more programs and the more "advanced" the operating system the more "processes" are necessary for it to function - at least that is what I'm lead to believe! :rolleyes:

Here are my Processes:

th_08261_Untitled_122_380lo.jpg

not when several procceses are repeated. 53 is ridiculous. my comp is using 400 mb of ram doing nothing.

The percentages at the bottom of our screen shots are near enough the same...

Vista is a memory hog.

You guys have -way- too much going on!

Take a look at this too: http://www.optimizingpc.com/optimize/windowsservices.html

Your link is presuming you run an XP machine. I presume you also run XP.

There is a difference between XP and Vista. This thread is about Vista.

There are a ton of forums on Vista and how to reduce/optimize usage specifically for Vista. It would be dangerous to assume what is safe for XP is safe for Vista.

Sorry, we probably have exactly what we need going on.

Well, i currently have 62 processes running with a max processor load of around 15% under normal working circumstances. if i'm programming if have 110-1150 processes running with a max processor load of around 60%

Your link is presuming you run an XP machine. I presume you also run XP.

There is a difference between XP and Vista. This thread is about Vista.

There are a ton of forums on Vista and how to reduce/optimize usage specifically for Vista. It would be dangerous to assume what is safe for XP is safe for Vista.

Sorry, we probably have exactly what we need going on.

That's cool and all but you don't need to be so, uh, tactless about it.

IPB Image

yeah some of the services that vista has are just not in xp or are named something else. For example the index service is now called windows search. On my xp computer I was running around 26 services aswell, and the new xp computer has 34. I guess that seeing that this is a laptop it has more, it has procceses running for all the extra things on the keyboard like displaying how much battery is left in the middle of the screen, possibly the most pointless thing in the world.

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am