Mozilla admits Firefox is flawed just like IE

Humpty

In a public mea culpa, Mozilla Corp.'s chief security officer acknowledged today that Firefox includes the same flaw that the company called a "critical vulnerability" in Internet Explorer during a two-week ruckus over responsibility for a Windows zero-day bug.

"Over the weekend, we learned about a new scenario that identifies ways that Firefox could also be used as the entry point," said Window Snyder of Mozilla. "While browsing with Firefox, a specially crafted URL could potentially be used to send bad data to another application.

"We thought this was just a problem with IE," Synder continued. "It turns out, it is a problem with Firefox as well."

Article

• Moderators

Well, we do live in a flawed world. You can only fix one flaw at a time. Would be nice to find every flaw at once, but that's not life now is it?

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

Eh, no one ever thought firefox was security flaw free. Its just the flaws are usually different and less exploited.

I guess this could be reason enough for some to start using opera I guess but not to me.

• Moderators

Don't forget there's also the browser freezing flaw, although I wouldn't necessarily call it a security exploit where a page can be scripted to cause just about any browser to freeze and become completely unresponsive for about five minutes. The newest release of Maxthon can prevent it, too bad Firefox is still susceptible to it.

I find it quite funny that people have started to find every slightest flaw of Firefox since it has gained a significant share of the browser market. :lol:

I love the rhetoric used in the article's title to make it seem Mozilla admitted Firefox was a flawed browser. Goebbels would be proud.

Opera is a nice browser, but her sister's hotter. Isn't bloated with features I could care less about , extensions give me a way to customize my browsing experience (and there is an almost incalculable number available), and it's open-source. Actually I could care less about the latter...

The memory footprint argument is always mentioned. Yet my Firefox at this very moment uses 180mb. But I live in the 21st century, I don't have 1GB of ram for nothing. It's still bloody fast, and I won't switch for a 2 milliseconds lesser loading time.

Secure ? It is most probable that if Opera had the same number of antagonistic fanboys it would be as flawed in the end.

• Moderators
Use Opera

The coolest, fastest, and most secure Web browser available.

Coolest- no sorry but just no... Firefox is so customizable and that deffinitely makes it the most B). :lol:

Fastest- Not from what I've noticed. It has that super caching thing which makes sites load faster after you have been to them but just going site to site I dont really notice any difference. I used a test someone posted that timed page loads and firefox was winning on them all for me.

Most secure- Maybe. I dont think there are very many people trying to find its flaws right now. Opera's market share is the weakest out of all the major browsers(I believe apple was even saying safari is ahead of it..)

• Moderators
Don't forget there's also the browser freezing flaw, although I wouldn't necessarily call it a security exploit where a page can be scripted to cause just about any browser to freeze and become completely unresponsive for about five minutes. The newest release of Maxthon can prevent it, too bad Firefox is still susceptible to it.

What is maxthon doing to stop it? I installed that browser yesterday and didnt notice anything special about anything.(except its horrible options menu.. who's bright idea was that? The old maxthon had a much better one.)

It's just bad marketing/advertising. Opera has failed in those areas. Product itself is great.

Opera wasn't free for the longest time. You had to pay or put up with adds. They would be much farther ahead in market share IMO if it wasn't for that.

I?use Opera often and love it. Also love Firefox, Maxthon?1?and?2.?I'm?always?amazed?though?at?all?the?features?Opera?manages?to?pack?into?such?a

small?app.

• Moderators
I find it quite funny that people have started to find every slightest flaw of Firefox since it has gained a significant share of the browser market.

The more people that use it on umpteen different system configurations the more flaws that can be found! It still doesn't have the luxury of being on every Windows system like IE though.

• Moderators
What is maxthon doing to stop it? I installed that browser yesterday and didnt notice anything special about anything.

Well test your browsers here, and be prepared to CTRL+ALT+DEL and End Task any other browser other than Maxthon (albeit I've only tested this on Firefox):

http://forum.maxthon.com/uploads/lockuptest.htm

I'm using Opera now since the flaw news. Opera must have a flaw somewhere. Like the old saying: "Nothing is 100% secure.", but, just moving with the flow I guess. I still have Firefox. Waiting for the 2.0.0.6 update though. What about those other Browsers? Safari, K-Meleon, etc...? Is any of those any good?

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

System.out.println("Mwuhahahaha");

}

I'm using Opera now since the flaw news. Opera must have a flaw somewhere. Like the old saying: "Nothing is 100% secure.", but, just moving with the flow I guess. I still have Firefox. Waiting for the 2.0.0.6 update though. What about those other Browsers? Safari, K-Meleon, etc...? Is any of those any good?

I think they are all quite good but it boils down to what suits the user.

Firefox with my addons and tab bar layout suits me fine.

I have tried a few others but they just don't seem to match FF, but as I said, I am probably so used to using FF that the others just sorta feel clumsy.

Noscript

that has got to be the most useless extension that exists for firefox. when i used it, my website(which is now non-existent) wouldn't work. Stay away from that extension!!!

on another note, Opera doesn't suffer from the freezing bug like IE does. Unlike in Firefox(where supposedly you have to use noscript to prevent it), Opera does it out of the box!

that has got to be the most useless extension that exists for firefox. when i used it, my website(which is now non-existent) wouldn't work. Stay away from that extension!!!

on another note, Opera doesn't suffer from the freezing bug like IE does. Unlike in Firefox(where supposedly you have to use noscript to prevent it), Opera does it out of the box!

Did you click the noscript icon and allow your site. ;)

I have to do this with all my forums and some trusted sites and it only has to be done once as it remembers the selection.

In fact I even have to do this with cookies as I have that set to "ask every time" as well. :rolleyes:

IMHO one of the best extensions invented.

But as I said, we are all different and if it don't suit you then don't use it.

Noscript ;)

Most sites needs JavaScript to work correctly. In Opera, you can keep JS enabled globally and disable it for specific/suspicious sites (Edit site preferences)* or vice versa; keep JS disabled and enable it for specific/trusted sites. I keep it enabled all the time. Java is disabled (Most sites don't need it).

*Opera allows you to set several preferences for individual sites using site preferences. While visiting the site, right click on the page (or press F12) and select Edit site preferences.

Once a preference has been set in site preferences, all preferences in that section will be used instead of the global preferences. To manage or remove site preferences, use Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content > Manage site preferences.

I don't like NoScript either, just found it to be a major PITA. Got sick going through "Aaargh, why won't this site work? Oh need to tell NoScript its ok..... ....Aaargh, why won't this site work either? Oh need to tell NoScript its ok" And repeat ad infinitum <_<

I think that most people install that Firefox NoScript Add-On, without actually knowing it's purpose. If you use NoScript or disable JavaScript from browser preferences, LOT OF sites stops working correctly. Like JDPower said, it's pain in the ass going through that allowing process all over again.