turning computer on/off

yr3750

is there a conventional wisdom as to whether it is better to turn a computer on/off several times a day...or, just leave it on all day...or, just leave it on all the time (day & night) with just an occasional reboot once or twice during the week? thanks...

I shut it down only when i go to sleep (if there's no any downloads coming). There's really no need to shut it down several times a day.

I think it's good to give computer and all it's components little rest over night (or whenever you go to sleep) and not keep it running 24/7.

My laptops I reboot about once a week. When there not being used the lid is shut and they go into "stand by" mode until I open the lid and use them again. When in "stand by" they are basically off. The hard drives off and the screen is off.

• Moderators

I close mine down every time I finish with it, which is a few times per day.

We (my family), have forced ourselves into the habit of leaving nothing on standby at all.

• A PC left running 24 hours per day would use ?59 worth of electricity over a 12 month period and result in emissions of 716Kg of carbon dioxide a year
  • Just leaving on a computer monitor overnight wastes enough energy to laser print 800 A4 pages
  • Two thirds of the energy used by a PC/VDU is used by the VDU. Screen savers may save screens but not energy
  • New PCs have energy saving intelligent software which enables the computer to power-down after a preset time of user inactivity. At the touch of a key the image is restored, however the software must be activated and in many cases it hasn't been.
  • Up to 70% of computers and related equipment are left on all the time. Equipment energy costs can be reduced by 20% just by turning off when not in use

Link:

is there a conventional wisdom as to whether it is better to turn a computer on/off several times a day...or, just leave it on all day...or, just leave it on all the time (day & night) with just an occasional reboot once or twice during the week? thanks...

My laptops I reboot about once a week. When there not being used the lid is shut and they go into "stand by" mode until I open the lid and use them again. When in "stand by" they are basically off. The hard drives off and the screen is off.

I usually only use my computer in the afternoon and at night. If I turn it on earlier than that, and know I won't be using it for a while, I either shut it down if I won't use it for a while, or Stand-By it, in case anyone in my family needs to use it. Shutting it on and off frequently is a waste, and will cause more wear and tear on the hard drives - stand by puts it into a mode that only keeps the RAM active, so it draws about 1.8 volts on average.

Shutting it down overnight is a smart thing - sometimes I'll even turn off the power strip to let no power to my system, just for safe measure.

AJ

unless I'm going to be out of the house for a while, when I'm finished with the computer I put it into standby. Though, like others, I do switch it off when I go to bed (which will be in about 5 minutes!)

• Moderators

I typically turn mine off if I know I won't be using it for several hours. Although if I have it defragging or virus scanning I usually totally forget all about it being on for several hours, and sometimes overnight.

We (my family), have forced ourselves into the habit of leaving nothing on standby at all.

You will be replacing the hard drive more often that way. All that shutting down and starting up will wear it out sooner. Stand by mode is practically off without all the rebooting..

• 3 weeks later...

Link:

excellent point. tho not sure what that would cost in $$ but awesome none the less.

It's a waste of money and energy in leaving the computer 24/7, unless it's a dedicated server or somethin'.

Standby may help too, but still require some electricity for the RAM to hold the session.

Shutting it down overnight is a smart thing - sometimes I'll even turn off the power strip to let no power to my system, just for safe measure.

AJ

Standby may help too, but still require some electricity for the RAM to hold the session.

As I said, it is so minimal it is worth it if needed.

AJ

Hi guys B)

I shutdown, and turn off power to the PC at the wall after I'm finished each day.

I use a serge protection power board, however I live in a "thunderstorm prone area" so if storms are forecast even the phone line gets unplugged for the sake of the modem.

No amount of protection will save a PC from a close "indirect or direct lightning strike" to outside power lines.

I'm thinking of getting a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) so I can shutdown my PC if the power goes off.

Dose any one have any recommendations?

You will be replacing the hard drive more often that way. All that shutting down and starting up will wear it out sooner. Stand by mode is practically off without all the rebooting..

I don't really get it, as in both cases the hard drives are shut down and brought back up. Sooo... What's the point? =)

My computer gets a little rest too when I go to sleep - no need to keep it running unless there was some downloads, defragging, or something else time consuming. Can't understand some of my friends who leave the computer on overnight just for the sake of it.

Hi guys B)

I shutdown, and turn off power to the PC at the wall after I'm finished each day.

I use a serge protection power board, however I live in a "thunderstorm prone area" so if storms are forecast even the phone line gets unplugged for the sake of the modem.

No amount of protection will save a PC from a close "indirect or direct lightning strike" to outside power lines.

I'm thinking of getting a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) so I can shutdown my PC if the power goes off.

Dose any one have any recommendations?

I use an APC Back-UPS ES500. Inexpensive (often on sale), about 15 minutes on battery for a single workstation, auto-shutdown software included.

I use an APC Back-UPS ES500. Inexpensive (often on sale), about 15 minutes on battery for a single workstation, auto-shutdown software included.

Hi Glenn B)

(APC) is that the brand name?

I've been thinking about getting a (Belkin) brand UPS, one of the most advertised brands here in Australia.

I don't really get it, as in both cases the hard drives are shut down and brought back up. Sooo... What's the point? =)

Hmm, you don't see and hear the difference between coming out of sleep mode and starting the computer? Much more work going on when starting the computer than there is when coming out of sleep mode.

It's possible yes, but I have always shutted down my 7 year old computer at nights, and it has seen more than enough reboots at days too. Drive's still completely healthly. 7 years is a lot, in that time I have buyed 2 more computers. So my conclusion is that you propably shouldn't worry about it unless you plan on spending like ten years with same computer.

Hi Glenn B)

(APC) is that the brand name?

I've been thinking about getting a (Belkin) brand UPS, one of the most advertised brands here in Australia.

Belkin products are generally good quality. I considered them as well but at the time (3 years ago) not many stores in my area carried them.

APC (American Power Conversion) are still the most popular in my area and pricing is very competitive.

Whichever brand you pick, check the APC website first. They offer a lot of useful info and I found their online selection tool useful for determining how much battery I needed with my hardware. Don't rely on the "up to XX minutes" in the store advertising for either brand. That's often overly optimistic.

Kim Komamndo is asked this question all of the time. A few months ago she reported that someone (never heard who did the research or how they came up with their results) determined that if your HD is three years old or less you should leave it running 24/7. Over three, shut it off when it's not going to be in use for a long time. I've always compromised, if it's going to be in use the next day (my wife home) I leave it on, however, on days we both work I'll shut it down in the morning. My theory is, you keep it cleaner when it's not running and sucking in all of that dust, so if it isn't going to be in use for 10 hours or more I turn it off!