Cold startup

craigathus

Hi guys :)

I think I may have mentioned this in other posts, but did not get a reply about my question.

The first time I start my PC the case fan runs at high speed for about one to two minutes and then settles down to normal.

This only ever happens if the room temperature is below 20c (Celsius) if it's above, like in summer it could be 30c in here and there is no high speed fan operation at startup.

Is the fan some how generating heat that is needed for the processor? during cold starts by running at full speed?

Is this normal behavior?

Dose anyone els have a computer that dose this?

Strange, i think it should be excatly opposite. Spin slow first and when computer heats up more, then spin faster. That's normal behaviour on some case fans. I got fan that always spin at same speed.

What I did to help keep my PC cooler is, I set a little portable fan behind my computer aimed right at the air intake port of the PC. It stays nice and cool all the time. B)

Hi guys :)

I think I may have mentioned this in other posts, but did not get a reply about my question.

The first time I start my PC the case fan runs at high speed for about one to two minutes and then settles down to normal.

This only ever happens if the room temperature is below 20c (Celsius) if it's above, like in summer it could be 30c in here and there is no high speed fan operation at startup.

Is the fan some how generating heat that is needed for the processor? during cold starts by running at full speed?

Is this normal behavior?

Dose anyone els have a computer that dose this?

My system is the same it is an option controled via the bios. It does this as a test to ensure that the fan will run at high capacity if needed. Just seems yours is running longer than usual.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

It's normal. Startup is the most crucial moment for processor. If your processor is going to burn it most likely happens at the startup, so you guys should be thankful that your computer is trying to protect your processor. :P

• Moderators

Mine runs at a fast speed for maybe 2 minutes, but in my case it's because of the resource usage of WinXP's Automatic Updates process running. As soon as the Automatic Updates process stops the fans are much less noisy.

It's normal. Startup is the most crucial moment for processor. If your processor is going to burn it most likely happens at the startup, so you guys should be thankful that your computer is trying to protect your processor. :P

Hi TheOdds & MikeW B)

Thanks for the info, how ever as I mentioned this high speed fan operation only ever happens when the room temperature is below 20 Celsius.

I could understand and accept your explanations if this high speed fan operation happened all the time, for instance in summer when the room temp is over 20 Celsius, but it doesn't do it on a warm day.