CCleaner, conflict with another app

rabbit

I installed what seems to be a really nice application called Note-It; kind of a post-it note program.

But I have issues with CCleaner deleting registry entries it must need. Ace Utilities will also find these "bad" registry entries.

Below is an e-mail I just sent to the develop of Note-It and that should fairly well explain what I am running into. The developer of Note-It just sent me an e-mail and said he uses CCleaner and his product w/o issue. Any ideas? This is the e-mail I sent him:

I have run into an issue with Note-IT and system program I use regularly named CCleaner; removes temp files and bad registry entries.

Note-It installs registry keys named Software\Home in both the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

CCleaner and Ace Utilities both find this as an Obsolete Key and delete it. When those are removed I cannot open any of my saved Note-It files.

I have re-installed Note-It several times and it took me a while to track it down. I can't do w/o CCleaner and I find no way to have CCleaner exclude those files.

Is there any way in CCleaner to exclude these two files from being deleted when I have CC set to run on boot? (an excludes list)

Thanks

Bump :rolleyes:

I have tried to edit my post and insert a screen print of CCleaner after I scan for ISSUES, but I was unable to figure out how to get it sized properly so anyone could see it.

But basically if there is some way for me to go into CCleaner and setup an exclusion for these two reg files, then my problem would be solved. I really do want to keep CCleaner doing its scan on reboot.

Thanks

It will auto resize, but everyone will be able to see it.

Well thanks TM, nice to know on inserting an image :rolleyes:

But do you have any ideas on how to fix what my original question asks?

Can I add something to either the winapp or winreg files that will force CCleaner to ignore the two registry keys that I don't want to delete when I clean?

Thanks

• 6 months later...
I installed what seems to be a really nice application called Note-It; kind of a post-it note program.

But I have issues with CCleaner deleting registry entries it must need. Ace Utilities will also find these "bad" registry entries.

Below is an e-mail I just sent to the develop of Note-It and that should fairly well explain what I am running into. The developer of Note-It just sent me an e-mail and said he uses CCleaner and his product w/o issue. Any ideas? This is the e-mail I sent him:

I have run into an issue with Note-IT and system program I use regularly named CCleaner; removes temp files and bad registry entries.

Note-It installs registry keys named Software\Home in both the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

CCleaner and Ace Utilities both find this as an Obsolete Key and delete it. When those are removed I cannot open any of my saved Note-It files.

I have re-installed Note-It several times and it took me a while to track it down. I can't do w/o CCleaner and I find no way to have CCleaner exclude those files.

Is there any way in CCleaner to exclude these two files from being deleted when I have CC set to run on boot? (an excludes list)

Thanks

When you click the Registry icon in the left sidebar, a list of check boxes is displayed. Unchecking obsolete software box will prevent deletion of the program's registry entries. You can also opt out of the fix for that app. If it was installed with the Windows Installer Package system, and you did not delete the installer, the app should re-install itself after being CC'd.

I was hoping to see a more extensive answer to your problem because I am experiencing the same problem with a program which I designed, coded and compiled. My program does not store or retrieve any registry keys. The Windows Installer package must make entries to keep track of dll & ocx dependencies, otherwise it has nothing to do with the registry.

I want to know why CCleaner is flagging that entry as obsolete.

Thanks

Here it is, rabbit:

I know Visual Basic; I do not know beans about the Registry. Visual Studio comes with a Design Environment with which the developer creates Installer Packages, which have the extension .msi. That is the only one I have direct knowledge of, and that knowledge is limited.

I had the same problem with Free Registry Fix, but it went home, and I have not been successful in getting it back, so I decided to try CCleaner.

CCleaner identifies Registry keys as "obsolete" if they do not have values set. Right click the offending registry key in the report and select open with Regedit. Select the empty value and type in "empty". This should satisfy CCleaner so that it will no longer flag your app. {Operating assumption: the key was an orphan, which never had an assigned value and was not in use by the app. This was the case in my situation}

Some of us must learn the hard way. I tried to delete the offending keys from the installer package for my program. The big mistake: I did not remove the original installation first. Result: the uninstall procedure invoked by the installer totally crashed my system!

Bump :rolleyes:

I have tried to edit my post and insert a screen print of CCleaner after I scan for ISSUES, but I was unable to figure out how to get it sized properly so anyone could see it.

Thanks

Hello rabbit,

This link may help you with screen capture,sizing,cropping and such.Read all the Posts.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=13668

Good Luck,

:) davey

P.S. Just realized rabbit's Post was back in July,2007.

Hope this reply helps someone like me.Still learning.

Edited by davey

I think I'm having a similar problem when I use Outlook Exploer and Word. When I run CCleaner (the latest version), it changes some of the editing options! I found that if I left Windows "open" (but minimized), CCleaner no longer changed its settings.

I also went to the CCleaner "Tutorial" and discovered something that I'd overlooked all these years: on the left-hand side of the screen, there are two tabs -- one of them is "Applications" where you'll find all your installed programs listed. I just un-checked Microsoft "Office" and now I can run CCleaner with impunity! Tah-dah!

Karl K.

McKinney, TX

Thanks