Run CCleaner when computer stops

shadowen

There is currently an option to run CCleaner when the computer starts, but I was hoping you might be able to add an option to run CCleaner when I logoff. Sometimes after a day of web surfing, I want to clear all the history, cookies, etc when I am done with the computer so that the next person that logs on cannot see it. Currently I have to manually run CCleaner to do this, but it would be nice to be able to automate the process.

• 2 weeks later...
There is currently an option to run CCleaner when the computer starts, but I was hoping you might be able to add an option to run CCleaner when I logoff. Sometimes after a day of web surfing, I want to clear all the history, cookies, etc when I am done with the computer so that the next person that logs on cannot see it. Currently I have to manually run CCleaner to do this, but it would be nice to be able to automate the process.

Hello Shadowen,

In the absence of a specific option in CCleaner to run at logoff, you can use the Group Policy editor to achieve the required result using a logoff script. I don't know which operating system you are using, but for Windows XP details can be found at the following URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...s.mspx?mfr=true

Presumably this can also be done with Windows Vista and the script itself requires little more than a text file, renamed to Logoff.cmd for example, and containing the following text:

@echo off

if exist "%programfiles%\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" start /w "" "%programfiles%\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /auto

exit

I am using a similar arrangement to this on my own system which, together with automatic defragmentation, works very effectively.

Regards

DJ

• Moderators

Hope you guys realize that you can't use that 100% of the time, for instance when an installation requests a Windows restart, and then finalizes installation upon startup. Actually the same can be said for the on startup cleaning feature that's already included with CCleaner.

CCleaner only takes around 2 minutes at the MOST to completely clean off everything anyway. Add a shortcut of CCleaner to Windows QuickLaunch if you are finding it annoying going to it file path each time. Surely even if you do use the logoff.cmd file, you are going to have to manually click scan, I haven't found any option in my version to do with "Run Scan when programme starts".

A script or option for doing what you are after is useful, sure, but if you want to delete all your cookies and such when you log off, an even easier option would be to select the option in whatever browser you are using to "Clear All private data when browser closes". Ie7 and FireFox have these options, although I am un sure of other browsers.

CCleaner only takes around 2 minutes at the MOST to completely clean off everything anyway. Add a shortcut of CCleaner to Windows QuickLaunch if you are finding it annoying going to it file path each time. Surely even if you do use the logoff.cmd file, you are going to have to manually click scan, I haven't found any option in my version to do with "Run Scan when programme starts".

A script or option for doing what you are after is useful, sure, but if you want to delete all your cookies and such when you log off, an even easier option would be to select the option in whatever browser you are using to "Clear All private data when browser closes". Ie7 and FireFox have these options, although I am un sure of other browsers.

Hello Paintpro,

Whereas the option to scan for issues automatically does not appear to be present in CCleaner, the option to clean out all selected temporary files is available by using the "/AUTO" switch. This option alone must surely remove a lot of potential problems. The object of a logoff (or for that matter a logon, startup, or shutdown script) is merely to run commands and files with the options that they have available. For my own purposes, this process works very well.

The options in IE7 for deleting temporary internet files, cookies, history etc appear to be only be manual options. I can't see any option to automatically clear these details when the browser closes. If an automatic option does exist for IE7, please let me know where this can be located as I am sure I would find it very useful.

Regards

DJ

Hope you guys realize that you can't use that 100% of the time, for instance when an installation requests a Windows restart, and then finalizes installation upon startup. Actually the same can be said for the on startup cleaning feature that's already included with CCleaner.

Andavari,

There is an option in CCleaner to only remove files in Windows' temp folders that are older than 48 hours. This should provide more than enough time to reboot your computer without losing required temporary files.

DJ

The options in IE7 for deleting temporary internet files, cookies, history etc appear to be only be manual options. I can't see any option to automatically clear these details when the browser closes. If an automatic option does exist for IE7, please let me know where this can be located as I am sure I would find it very useful.

In IE click Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab. In the 'Settings' tickboxes section there is the option under the security section you can tick to 'Empty temp internet files when browser is closed'

In IE click Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab. In the 'Settings' tickboxes section there is the option under the security section you can tick to 'Empty temp internet files when browser is closed'

Okay, I accept that the option you have mentioned automatically deletes temporary internet files. However, cookies, history, and favicons still remain and aren't deleted automatically unless you use CCleaner or a similar program via a logon/logoff script.

DJ

• 2 years later...

It took me quite long to reach this page but it was worth the pains. This is exactly what I wanted. I live in India in 48hrs I collect a load full of crap worth deleting so cant wait that long. Fear of unexpected unnatural reboots due to electricity failure prevent me using auto feature at startup as recovery fails in browsers. While shutdown I can plan and save sessions. Thank to DJ, I have what I wanted.