Anti-Rootkit programs

Anthony A

Some of those antirootkit apps are very technical and you have to be careful what you remove with them. I have chosen to go with the Panda and Blacklight programs. Not many options with these just run the exe. press the scan button. No install needed. If something gets detected I will Google it or go to some of the forums who have the experts to help me. I will use these like I use Highjackthis. Run it get the results and post the log for an expert to examine.

Hi, Tom AZ. :) Very good advice just above here from Anthony A. Rootkits are tough. If you suspect you have one, get expert help. Icesword looks at most places you might find a rootkit, and gives you a list of all the things going on there. For example, thread creations, system services, message hooks, and several others. There are sometimes false positives, so be careful.

Icesword won't do anything when you click on it except list what's going on. That is what I use it for, and if there is anything suspicious I start looking for expert help. So far nothing found yet. :D It is an interesting app, and harmless just to run. No installation required.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 3 weeks later...
AVG Anti-Rootkit installs two driver (.sys) files to system32/drivers folder and they are loaded to memory every time when Windows is booted. I don't like it very much. I scanned once with AVG AR and then stopped them from loading with AutoRuns.

I'm considering downloading the AVG Anti-Rootkit program, and I was curious if the drivers loaded at startup, and also, if it could be incorporated into my already existing AVG Anti-Spyware Program.

Here is the email I received from AVG support:

"According to your description, we would like to inform you that AVG Anti-Rootkit Free is a standalone rootkit removal tool and cannot be incorporated in any other program. Anyway, it is not necessary to load it on startup. It should be used very rare, only in situations that you notice something strange in the computer's behavior, but other security software did not detect anything. Additionally, it can be used when you have some malicious code, which reproduces itself every time when you detect and remove it. Please, be informed, that AVG Anti-Rootkit Free has no drivers left loaded in the system after exiting the program. This tool is used by starting, scanning and closing it, with no on-access scanning functions or any real time protection. Please, do not hesitate to contact us about any further questions you may have."

-------------

Sounds pretty good. I think I'll download this one.

I'm considering downloading the AVG Anti-Rootkit program, and I was curious if the drivers loaded at startup, and also, if it could be incorporated into my already existing AVG Anti-Spyware Program.

Here is the email I received from AVG support:

"According to your description, we would like to inform you that AVG Anti-Rootkit Free is a standalone rootkit removal tool and cannot be incorporated in any other program. Anyway, it is not necessary to load it on startup. It should be used very rare, only in situations that you notice something strange in the computer's behavior, but other security software did not detect anything. Additionally, it can be used when you have some malicious code, which reproduces itself every time when you detect and remove it. Please, be informed, that AVG Anti-Rootkit Free has no drivers left loaded in the system after exiting the program. This tool is used by starting, scanning and closing it, with no on-access scanning functions or any real time protection. Please, do not hesitate to contact us about any further questions you may have."

-------------

Sounds pretty good. I think I'll download this one.

None of the reviews I have read about it were very good. I went with Panda and Black Light. Both of these do not even require an install. Just run the exe. They had good reviews and are very simple to use.

I have scanned with 4 Antirootkit programs and non of them found anything.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that you sounded 'disappointed' CeeCee! LOL

I just downloaded AVG Rootkit and it didn't find anything either. I'll put it on the back-shelf and check it from time to time. Good little program to have.

None of the reviews I have read about it were very good. I went with Panda and Black Light. Both of these do not even require an install. Just run the exe. They had good reviews and are very simple to use.

Yeah, they're all probably pretty good. I like AVG so I went with them. I also have a paid Anti-Spyware account with them, so, it was easy for me to get a question answered quickly from support. That question & reply I posted earlier was answered within the hour. They're real good about that.

Yeah, they're all probably pretty good. I like AVG so I went with them. I also have a paid Anti-Spyware account with them, so, it was easy for me to get a question answered quickly from support. That question & reply I posted earlier was answered within the hour. They're real good about that.

Their forum will answer questions about any AVG product for free and they are quick. No need to be a paying customer to get help with AVG.

Did you use this forum or something else? http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/

You sign up to this forum when you install AVG AV. It's an option in the install process. I'm not sure if there is another way?

No, I didn't sign up for the AVG forum. It works like this, On my AVG Anti-Spyware program, there's a 'Request Technical Support' link, so when you click on it, it takes you to a private 'Ask Technical Team Question' page, and from their you have to enter your full name and personal registration number/key of the product you purchased so they can recognize who you are. Then you write your message and send it, then they send you the answer to your registered email address.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at the following list of free anti-rootkits

It's divided into Anti-rookits by Antivirus Companies , Relatively well known antirootkits and Others

It's somewhat dangerous to use anti-rootkits from unknown sources, hence the categories above will help you decide. Rootkits from AV companies should not be malicious, and well known anti-rootkits are probably not malicious as well given the amount of scrunity they have being subjected to.

That said even if the anti-rootkit is not malicious on purpose it is still possible to damage your computer because of either user error, or incompatiabilities. Users running Kaspersky based engines should be particularly careful.