Scan CDs?

Jourei

• Moderators

CCleaner doesn't work on CD's or DVD's.

If you have a corrupt disc it may be rather difficult to get the data off of it, however you can always give IsoBuster a try - I believe it still has some free functionality albeit with some features disabled.

Looks like it would wor properly but as other programs, it freezes at sector 133?? and askes commands about data what can't be readed. So i don't know much about these problems but on the disk is few scraches, should i repair it until there's no scraches?

• 1 month later...

This computer is much newer than the one where i wanted to install the program but that program complained somethin like ''no devices detected'' maby because my CD/DVD drive is empty. And haven't tryed the program here yet, but i just got a newer versin about it so it actually dosen't matter anymore. :)

I just tryed with the computer where it has worked, and i cant install the program here. I think that this comp is so late from everything so all what has worked stop working. But atleast it dosen't matter...

And someone could lock this thread. Or perhaps delete.

This Digg thread discusses the procedure of putting a CD or DVD into hot water for 20-30 seconds. Several people said it made the disk work again.

http://digg.com/tech_news/DVD_won_t_work_d...them_still_work

Below are some plausible instructions:

The best method on handling the disc during boiling or running under hot water is to use a wooden handled spoon or serving utensil. Simply slide the disc center over the handle face up for better handling. Boil for 10 seconds or run under hot water for 20 seconds. Carefully take the disc back off the handle onto a lint free towel laying it face up. Gently pad dry the surface from the center outward to prevent scratching the surface. Let the disc set and cool so that the surface of the disc can contract before using. This method has worked since the optical format came out btw, so game discs aren't the only thing this works for (same applies for CD's and DVD's).

-- Patrick B.

• Moderators
Below are some plausible instructions:

It also has a very good chance of destroying the data layer of the disc, just normal temperature water can do that. The data layer can very easily just fall off depending upon the condition of the disc if it gets wet. I know this from first hand experience when I was attempting to clean an old audio CD that looked dirty, and was shocked that the data layer just fall off thus destroying the disc and it was a stupid mistake that I'll never repeat.

It also has a very good chance of destroying the data layer of the disc, just normal temperature water can do that. The data layer can very easily just fall off depending upon the condition of the disc if it gets wet. I know this from first hand experience when I was attempting to clean an old audio CD that looked dirty, and was shocked that the data layer just fall off thus destroying the disc and it was a stupid mistake that I'll never repeat.

So, it destroyed the 2nd CD and took away half of the main CD. So now its confirmed, im not using these CD:s in any drive anymore and also confirmed this myth of recovering CD:s with hot water is busted :).

• Moderators
also confirmed this myth of recovering CD:s with hot water is busted :).

It was a damned stupid recommendation to begin with, how people will fall for that kind of s**t is beyond me.

At least some people in that posted link have the same impressions of it being bulls**t and have a good sense of humour, as these had me busting out some serious laughs:

Sauteed RAM with lemon pepper is to die for.
Once the disk turns lobster orange you're ready to go.
In Soviet Russia, boiling fixes you!

The absolute best advice on that other forums thread were these:

This is the dumbest thing ive ever heard, just pick up a skip doctor from frys or bestbuy. http://digitalinnovations.com/products.php?cat=1
Brasso metal polish works as well. It's also sold as an automotive plastic cleaner for plastic windows on convertibles

• Moderators

OK, it's late so I might be easily bemused, but what's the point in running CCleaner on any CD/DVD, good or bad? And how would CC recover data from a faulty disk?

Rgds.