Returnil - Free

Humpty

Returnil is an application similar to Powershadow in virtualising your system but has one advantage in having excellent support from the developers.

Only used a 15 trial yesterday in a virtual machine and today they seem to have released a free edition!

For those interested in virtual technologies this is one definately worth looking at.Will be installing it on my HD with Vista Ultimate.

Wilders link

Quote the support fella ,Coldmoon, over at Wilders:

but if you are asking if we have released a fully functional (minus the RVSMOVER utility) freeware edition, then yes, you are reading this correctly...

And from their website:

Returnil Virtual System Personal Edition Minus add-on utilities and with limited technical support, the Personal edition includes the same functionality as our business edition for Home users.

• Moderators
Returnil Virtual System is a powerful technology that clones a copy of your System Partition in memory and can create a file based Virtual Partition where you can save documents, data, and files while using the System Protection feature. Returnil Virtual System protects your computer from harmful viruses, Spyware and unwanted programs, preserves your computer settings, and ensures your Internet Privacy. Simply restart your computer to erase all changes.

Though virtual technology has been with us for a long time now, it has not been widely recognized or adopted as a viable solution for the average computer user. This has led to virtual solution providers concentrating on complex testing environments for researchers, business-centric solutions that have no real appeal or use for the home user, or limit their approach to specific parts of your computer?s operating system.

There is too much misinformation circulating as to the maturity and effectiveness of Virtual technology and we here at Returnil think it is Time to shake the tree! Because we believe so strongly in the safety, maturity, and benefit to users world wide in the fight against Malware, we are offering Returnil free of charge to Home users on a single computer.

It is time to take control and leave the fear, uncertainty, and doubt behind. You deserve better from your solution providers!

The Returnil Virtual System:

1: Keeps your System Partition safe when browsing the Internet

2: Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Adware, Spyware, and unwanted content disappear with a simple reboot

3: Enforces settings and protects your internet privacy

4: Helps reduce overall disk wear by using memory rather than HDD cloning technology

5: Saves you time, money, and lost hair by maintaining or improving peak computer performance

6: Reduces or eliminates the need for routine disk de-fragmentation of your system partition

7: Your spam filter is strong, but not infallible ? Returnil will eliminate the consequences of opening infected e-mail and/or attachments

8: Leaves absolutely no traces of computer activities

9: Eliminates all activities even if your computer is powered-off or crashes

10: Eliminates the danger of evaluating new software that does not require a reboot to install

11: Offers stronger, simpler and smarter protection for your PC

12: Seamless integration with supported Windows Operating Systems

13: Easy to use, simple to configure, and the one tool in your arsenal that will be there to save the day when all else fails!

Limitations: Free for home use only. Returnil Virtual System Business Edition is available for business.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

What is RVSMOVER?

I think it relates to a session saver add on but I can't be certain as I only played with it for a coupla hours yesterday.

Will give it a good workout when I hook up the Vista hd a bit later.

Hmmnn, one thing I forgot to check, Works with Vista I hope. :rolleyes:

• Moderators
What is RVSMOVER?

From Returnil FAQ's

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/faqs.htm

> What does the RVSMOVER utility do?

WARNING: the following information is not recommended for inexperienced users! If you do not completely understand the potential consequences involved with moving system folders, DO NOT DO THIS! NOTE: This utility is currently designed for those who want to make the move permanent as part of their use of RVS System Protection

As part of our development process, we create a number of concept and testing programs that are designed to explore solutions internally without making changes to the main program. In this specific case, we created a utility that would allow the user to move some System Folders to an alternate partition including the Virtual Partition called RVSMOVER and is included in the Returnil Business Edition installation. The utility is located in the (default) "C:\Program Files\Returnil" directory. This utility will allow an option for experienced users who want to move their Desktop, IE Favorites, and IE Cookie system folders to an alternate drive.

We strongly caution the user that this is not a trivial thing to just experiment with, again, if in doubt, stay clear... We also recommend that if you are an experienced user who is familiar with this type of configuration that you should choose an alternate partition on your existing HDD to minimize any potential issues you might experience. When moving system folders it is essential that the target directory/partition be one that will boot with Windows!

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Thanks Humpty. Been using this all afternoon.

Done numerous reboots, and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Being a regular Powershadow user, the added attraction of this programme is the fact that it uses ram instead of hard drive space.

I like this a lot and have it running from start-up, with no perceptible increase in boot up time.

I'm amazed there's a free version.

Nice one. :)

• Moderators

I am also giving Returnil a spin.

Liked the fact that I could read the help file just before I pressed the install button! One thing I think would make it slightly more user friendly to people who are giving this kind of app a try for the very first time is more info about the virtual side.

It assumes that people will know how to save things there, some people won't, it would be great if it gave an couple of examples of say what to do to save an email if you have system protection turned on, and how to save a downloaded program there, it sort of misses those instuctions out and assumes knowledge on the part of the user.

It is quite amazing that this is free really. I shall keep it as it runs okay with sandboxie and I shall probably use it with system protection off and just turn session protection on when I want to look at something and also this allows me to keep any avg or avira updates without having to save them somewhere else .

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I plan to give Returnil a shot. ;)

Since PS 2.82 online registration has been cut off, perhaps this freebie would replace it.

I stand corrected that Retunil requires a reboot to enter Protection-Mode. SessionLock DOES make that possible.

So Returnil need a reboot to enter the virtual mode thing?

So Returnil need a reboot to enter the virtual mode thing?

Nope, just enter session mode and it will virtualise on the fly like PS.

GUI other settings you can select reboot with protection mode auto on.

Similar to Powershadow but uses ram instead of disk with no noticeable slowdowns here.

Still using Sandboxie along with this fine Returnil app though, as SB is the best first line of defense against any inet borne attacks.

I also have another question. Does it protect all other partion besides the OS Partition?

Hi Coldmoon! I wonder why there is no support to protect all partitions rather than OS partition only.

Thanks

Original Message

But I suppost it will

sorry if I violated any rules regarding "old" threads

Nope, just enter session mode and it will virtualise on the fly like PS.

GUI other settings you can select reboot with protection mode auto on.

Similar to Powershadow but uses ram instead of disk with no noticeable slowdowns here.

Still using Sandboxie along with this fine Returnil app though, as SB is the best first line of defense against any inet borne attacks.

I tell you Humpty, all of this confuses me (decision wise). Why am I paying for NOD32, Spy Sweeper (which by the way does not really hog resources) and AVG Anti-Spyware (formally ewido, and purchased because somehow it restores leaked RAM with a memory scan that normally takes less than two minutes, which maybe I could do with the free version anyway)? I've had two potential threats in three years after being mis-directed during a search, both of which were caught and stopped by NOD32. I've had a few spywares discovered after my nieces and nephews leave after Xmas. Why would I need anything if I virtualize, for free no less?

• Moderators

Slowday, you don't really need any software on your computer just because people say it's the latest thing to have.

They are just trends.

If you have a system up and running which works on your computer, you don't have to feel browbeaten into thinking that you HAVE to have it.

Sure, have a look if you want, so if anyone asks what you think, you can tell them, but at the end of the day, it's YOUR computer.

When you have a meal, people can suggest what you might like on your plate, but YOU decide what you want to eat :)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Slowday, you don't really need any software on your computer just because people say it's the latest thing to have.

They are just trends.

If you have a system up and running which works on your computer, you don't have to feel browbeaten into thinking that you HAVE to have it.

Sure, have a look if you want, so if anyone asks what you think, you can tell them, but at the end of the day, it's YOUR computer.

When you have a meal, people can suggest what you might like on your plate, but YOU decide what you want to eat :)

Nice point, thank you!

• Moderators

Don't worry slowday I think programs like this are a hassle too.

I downloaded this and tried it and once I realized it was what I thought it was, I got rid of it.

I guess if your continuously having security problems then its worth it for you to use a program like this but not for me. I use my computer to do work, not to spend time trying to make it more secure. I have all the stuff I've talked about over the time I've been here and thats it. I spend at the most 30min a month doing any type of security related things to my own computers(avg scans once a week on its own and then maybe I run AVG AS once a month). I don't have the paticence to look at what I've done on the computer for the last 3 hours and try to find out what I've saved and haven't saved because I'm afraid its going to be gone after a reboot. Especially on my laptoop which I reboot(well cut off and on) a lot versus my desktops which I only reboot after updates ask me too.

Virtualization may be the future(I doubt it will ever catch on widely but it may) but it won't be through applications like this. They are too confusing for most people and require too much time fiddling around with it and the possibility of losing your files is a big turn off for a lot of people. The programs are going to have to improve a lot to become popular.

Lets face it, there are still a lot of people that still have no security programs on their computer at all(or maybe an expired trial of norton/mcafee that came on their computer). These same people are supposed to figure out how to use these virtualization programs? Its just not going to happen.

If you haven't noticed there have been lots of trends in the security area the last few months but AVs, Antispywares, ect are still around and doing fine. People aren't suddenly having their computers explode or bombarded with spyware because they aren't using virtualization either. Just stick with what works for you and gives you the littlest frustration and you'll be good. :)

Trying out Virtual apps has become a favourite for me.

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, Returnil and Sandboxie are my main ones ATM.

We are all different and if something works for you and your happy with it then stick with it. ;)

As for these virtual apps being a hassle I find learning them no different from most other apps.

Except for maybe Vista Ultimate, now that's doing my head in a bit! :P

Thanks, Humpty, I downloaded it and will install it soon for a trial. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

It beats me how the usefulness of an application like this isn't expounded, especially to less experienced users.

I've no intention of using Returnil as an alternative to conventional security software, but the benefits of using it to try out new software far outweigh the initial difficulty of understanding how it works.

Most people are confused by something they don't initially grasp, or have never had explained properly to them.

And a prime example is yours truly, who had no idea of the difference between a web based email and an email client. How basic is that?

How could I know the difference, if I if I didn't even know there was a one.

When I first discovered this place, it soon became apparent that my knowledge was a great deal less than I thought it was. But I stuck around, read a lot, asked a lot of questions, and gradually learned.

And I still know just a little bit more than nothing.

Let me point out one basic concept to anyone confused by anything.

Ask...If you don't ask, you will never find out.

There is no such thing as a stupid question if it is something you don't understand.

Anyway, along this voyage of discovery I tried out a great deal of new software. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. And while I was installing and uninstalling all this stuff I was filling up my registry with leftover rubbish. The sort of rubbish that slows things down and causes problems.

So I learned about Installer Trackers like Zsoft, and Total Uninstall. Programmes that are supposed to remove everything the new software installs. Unfortunately, they don't.

And now we come to an application like Returnil.

A very powerful programme with a very simple concept.

Activate it, and it makes a copy of your Operating System in your computers memory.

So instead of loads of stuff being written to your hard drive when you try a new piece of software, it is "written" to the copy of you're Operating System in your computers memory. It's like it's being written in thin air.

And if you don't know about this memory (Random Access Memory), everything in it completely disappears when you shut down or reboot your computer.

Try all the new software you want, and you will not end up needing registry cleaners and/or defragmenting programmes as much as I needed them before Powershadow and Returnil came along.

If you find you want to keep a piece of software you've tried, believe me, it's far less bother to reboot, leave Returnil inactive, and download and install the software again, rather than having to uninstall it from you're hard drive.

Yesterday, I installed 8 new pieces of software, one after the other. Only liked one of them.

Rebooted, all traces gone, left Returnil inactive, and downloaded and installed again the one I liked.

I cannot imagine going through the hassle of installing/uninstalling 8 new programmes the old way.

IMHO, this is a must have application for people who do not have a great deal of knowledge, but would love to try lots of new stuff.

I use this programme a hell of a lot, and I'm not really that knowledgeable, but it saves so much hassle, it's worth spending as long as it takes to learn how to use it.

To you experienced guys, I'm stating some very obvious and basic things in this rant, but from my own experience, some of the most basic concepts aren't obvious to a lot of people.

This is a great FREE tool. Learn how to use it to your benefit.

:)

It beats me how the usefulness of an application like this isn't expounded, especially to less experienced users.

I've no intention of using Returnil as an alternative to conventional security software, but the benefits of using it to try out new software far outweigh the initial difficulty of understanding how it works.

Most people are confused by something they don't initially grasp, or have never had explained properly to them.

And a prime example is yours truly, who had no idea of the difference between a web based email and an email client. How basic is that?

How could I know the difference, if I if I didn't even know there was a one.

When I first discovered this place, it soon became apparent that my knowledge was a great deal less than I thought it was. But I stuck around, read a lot, asked a lot of questions, and gradually learned.

So you're downloading and it ask where to install (normally program files) what happens or what do you do?

And I still know just a little bit more than nothing.

Let me point out one basic concept to anyone confused by anything.

Ask...If you don't ask, you will never find out.

There is no such thing as a stupid question if it is something you don't understand.

Anyway, along this voyage of discovery I tried out a great deal of new software. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. And while I was installing and uninstalling all this stuff I was filling up my registry with leftover rubbish. The sort of rubbish that slows things down and causes problems.

So I learned about Installer Trackers like Zsoft, and Total Uninstall. Programmes that are supposed to remove everything the new software installs. Unfortunately, they don't.

And now we come to an application like Returnil.

A very powerful programme with a very simple concept.

Activate it, and it makes a copy of your Operating System in your computers memory.

So instead of loads of stuff being written to your hard drive when you try a new piece of software, it is "written" to the copy of you're Operating System in your computers memory. It's like it's being written in thin air.

And if you don't know about this memory (Random Access Memory), everything in it completely disappears when you shut down or reboot your computer.

Try all the new software you want, and you will not end up needing registry cleaners and/or defragmenting programmes as much as I needed them before Powershadow and Returnil came along.

If you find you want to keep a piece of software you've tried, believe me, it's far less bother to reboot, leave Returnil inactive, and download and install the software again, rather than having to uninstall it from you're hard drive.

Yesterday, I installed 8 new pieces of software, one after the other. Only liked one of them.

Rebooted, all traces gone, left Returnil inactive, and downloaded and installed again the one I liked.

I cannot imagine going through the hassle of installing/uninstalling 8 new programmes the old way.

IMHO, this is a must have application for people who do not have a great deal of knowledge, but would love to try lots of new stuff.

I use this programme a hell of a lot, and I'm not really that knowledgeable, but it saves so much hassle, it's worth spending as long as it takes to learn how to use it.

To you experienced guys, I'm stating some very obvious and basic things in this rant, but from my own experience, some of the most basic concepts aren't obvious to a lot of people.

This is a great FREE tool. Learn how to use it to your benefit.

So when you're installing a program and it ask where to insatall (normally program files) what happens or what do you do?

• Moderators
So when you're installing a program and it ask where to insatall (normally program files) what happens or what do you do?

As long as you have Returnil active, (Icon in sys tray red), install to C: > programme files as normal, and you are installing to a copy of C: > programme files in your computers memory.

Everything appears to be happening as normal, but it is happening to a copy of your operating system in RAM.

Nothing at all is being written to your real C: > programme files on your hard drive, and nothing is being written to your registry or to Windows files.

Reboot, and it's gone. Nothing to uninstall or delete.

If you're unclear about anything, please PM me anytime, and I'll try to help.

Well said , Dennis, well said. I was going to say something like that, but couldn't shape the phrases right.

Here's my 2 cents:

The moderators on this forum are heroes. Rridgely, TwistedMetal, Hazelnut, AndyManchesta, Noviciate, are all geniuses. They are polite, helpful, and apparently tireless. They know so much about the computer business that they can use (or not use) any old program and make it come out OK. But it is good to remember also that Humpty is not chopped liver. :P Indeed, most of the members are tremendously knowledgeable.

It is also good to remember that many computer users don't know how to look beyond the user interface, and many don't care to or don't have the time. It takes a lot of time to learn these things. Many of the folks where I work have almost no computer knowledge. It is not what they signed on to do, and they have no interest in it.

That's where this forum comes into the picture for me. I like to try out new applications, do that instead of watching TV. :) Have never seen a bad app recommended here. If a bad one was recommended, the other members would know about it and post arguments against it. Sooo, if nobody hammers a recommendation too hard, and it is something I need, and I think I understand it, I'll try it.

Using virtualization programs (which I had no idea about until I met them here) allows me to use and test apps which I would normally shy away from, just because I can't afford the time to reinstall everything if an app goes blooey. So, the issue brought up by Slowday is interesting. The way I use a computer on the net means that I can use all the security help I can get, but many folks will never need such a thing as powershadow or Eraser or SIW.

That scraping sound is me putting away the lectern. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Now I'm troubled after reading this

Does it only protect the system partition only??? I hope not...

It does only protect the Sysytem Partition, but as I've said, IMO I wouldn't use it as a standalone malware protection. To me, it's greatest asset is it's ability to mount a copy of your Operating System in memory, enabling you to prevent anything being written to your real Operating System.

I use it alongside my "traditional" security software with no problems, and I use it primarily for trying new stuff.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

This thread seems to have prompted a discussion not only about the software Returnil but also about how users approach a new software.

One of my pet hates is downloading a new piece of software only to find that the help file is suitable for someone who works on a space project or it assumes the the user already knows all about the software ( in this case virtualization)

I agree with others here that users would probably be more willing to try a new type of software if they didn't feel they were having to make themselves look small by having to ask what might seem to be basic questions about it.

What would be so hard about a software manufacturer giving basic examples of what happens when you do a certain thing with their software?

As I stated in earlier, talking about mounting virtual drives and session modes to new users is pointless and offputting unless you EXPLAIN what those terms mean.

I think that any user on this forum could ask ANY question, no matter how small, about a software and

another member would try to help using good clear instuctions. Also no one should ever feel pressured into using a piece of software just because everyone else seems to be.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com