Microsofts new FREE email client

rridgely

• Moderators

AHA I figured it out. :P

I wasnt paying close enough attention to what you were saying. Instead of clicking email there is actually a box that says gmail. :P

Sorry, I can be sort of blind at times.

Edit:

We were posting at the same time. :D

• Moderators

Oh I just tried my comcast account with the new windows live mail. It automatically knew the server info and stuff.

This is really great because it could drastically make first time email set up for new computer users so much easier. Comcast is a pretty major ISP so I would be eager to hear if it auto configs for people with smaller ISPs.

• Moderators

Oh I forgot to add that if you need any help dennis just let me know.

If you have an AOL instant messenger account or MSN account and would rather get help that way thats fine too. Just send me a PM with your screen name. :)

• Moderators
Oh I forgot to add that if you need any help dennis just let me know.

If you have an AOL instant messenger account or MSN account and would rather get help that way thats fine too. Just send me a PM with your screen name. :)

Thanks squire, but that simple explanation about the difference between an email client and webmail, was all I needed.

Installed Thunderbird, and then went to my Gmail and Yahoo accounts and quickly discovered that they have to be enabled to use pop3.

In the case of Yahoo, it gives a clear and concise explanation of pop3, and provides the server info that may be needed to configure whichever email client you happen to be using.

pop3settings.jpg.xs.jpg

I've include this info, and the Wiki link, in the event that others may be having the same difficulty in simply understanding how these things work, but are reticent to ask.

Mind you, what was reassuring, was you making a pigs ear out of setting up your Gmail.

There's hope for us all. :D

Thanks again.

• Moderators

Yeah, I wish I could get free pop access from yahoo. I've been trying to get away from using yahoo at all but I still have some mail sent there(I've had that account for around 8 years so its hard to switch. :P)

• Moderators

Yep, pretty good, although I've just switched from their mail beta to the old one because of the tie in with Yahoo chat.

Every time I accessed my mail I was being instantly connected to their chat rooms. Don't even use Yahoo messenger. There is a link to sever this tie in, but no surprise, doesn't work.

Gonna try and move permanently to maybe Gmail, but it's a bitch having to tell everybody.

Off topic here, but I've just woken my daughter up (in the real world). More than my life's worth not to sign off. See you later. :D

Yep, pretty good, although I've just switched from their mail beta to the old one because of the tie in with Yahoo chat.

Every time I accessed my mail I was being instantly connected to their chat rooms. Don't even use Yahoo messenger. There is a link to sever this tie in, but no surprise, doesn't work.

Gonna try and move permanently to maybe Gmail, but it's a bitch having to tell everybody.

What is wrong with yahoo?

I login via this address - https://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=us - and go straight to my inbox

Mind you I have never had or signed up for any of thier chat or messenger programs. On a side note as far as privacy goes, I would rather trust yahoo over Google inc and their suite of info gathering software and services.

I really don't see what the attraction of Google is. Maybe I'm getting old.

Yeah, I wish I could get free pop access from yahoo. I've been trying to get away from using yahoo at all but I still have some mail sent there(I've had that account for around 8 years so its hard to switch. :P )

There is an extension for Thunderbird that will give you pop access for all the web mails like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail and some others. I just use Gmail for web mail now so it's no problem with TB I don't need that extension. Here is the link http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html

• Moderators

Well if your in the UK and get free pop access then there doesn't seem to be a difference.(google gives more space but who is filling up 2gigs? I download all of my mail off the servers and have the client delete if afterwards). I've always rather had my email in something like outlook instead of web based because I find it easier to use/manage.

Yeah I just use Gmail. It's almost 3 gigs now for storage. If I need multiple accounts I just create more Gmail accounts. I don't see the point in having multiple accounts with multiple providers and as you now know Gmail is very simple to set up in Thunderbird.

• Moderators

I'm still loving this email client.

If you opened it up and thought the color scheme was ugly(I did) just know that you can change it. Mine is now a very slick black color.

Writing emails with this thing has been really enjoyable. The grammar/spell checking is great and everything is laid out really cleanly.

The only thing I don't like was that when I got an email from cnet(download newsletter thing) I noticed that the client will search the web for similar things that was in the message. This can of course be turned off which I did.

Its got a lot of the same security things thunderbird has. It won't load things like pictures and scripts in email in less your approve it to.

Here is picture for those who haven't seen it:

untitledkx2.th.jpg

(yes I hid my email and deleted all the messages so you couldn't read them. :P )

I may just switch over to this permanently if its still trouble free for the next few days.

Sorry about the picture quality. Its a jpeg cut from part of a jpeg. :D

I go straight to my inbox as well, but everytime I login I get this:

yahoochat.jpg.xs.jpg

I don't need it, I don't want it, and I can't get rid of it. So back again to the original Yahoo.

I don't recognise the icon nor the drop down menu - I can only assume you have the yahoo toolbar or something similar installed. It's the sort of "addon" I avoid like the plague.

I keep my email client exclusively for my ISP email address (and aliases) - for my yahoo addresses I log on via the web - the two shall never meet... To that extent my interest in this thread is limited, but my growing dislike of everything google prompted me to speak up.

Sorry if I mislead you.

lotse if you want to see something of good quality from google I suggest you look no further then right here:

http://picasa.google.com/features/index.html

Picasa is the perfect photo program. It has great simple editing, organizing, and sharing features.

I wouldn't even consider using anything else. :)

I am confused. Did you post in the wrong thread :unsure: