Windows XP Media Center

krit86lr

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about installing XP Media Center. It came with 2 CDs, but I can't find CD 2, so it only installed XP SP2. My question is that, when I find the 2nd CD can I still install it, or do I need to format and reinstall windows?

Thanks! :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Maybe more info will generate a reply? I installed the 1st CD, when it prompted for the 2nd CD I hit esc, and it just continued with the installation of CD 1. My guess is that the 2nd CD is just the media center files.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

It seems you have a few choices:

1: Reformat and Reinstall, as you said. (Large amount of time wasted, Chance of success 100%)

2: Try a repair installation, it should ask you for the disk. (Also, big time waster, Chance of success 50%)

3: Insert disk 2 in your cd drive, and run this command:

rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection Freestyle 128 medctroc.inf

(Chance of success 50%, may cause problems.)

4: Look through the 'Add/Remove Windows Componets' menu (Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Left Side) and try to find some sort of 'Reinstall Media Center' option. (Fastest, Chance of success 100%, if the option exists)

My suggestion, would be to try 4. If that doesn't work either reinstall or wait for more choices.

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!

~Otto

How to use CCleaner on a Flash Drive (pre v2.0)

Isn't media center just an application basically? I know there are work arounds where you can install it onto plain xp.

Honestly, I have no idea. My SO bought it. I don't know anything about it really. That makes sense that it is just an application, so I shouldn't have to re-install windows which is a relief. Anyway, we searched high and low last night...cannot find the 2nd CD anywhere! Sheesh! Anyone have and ISO file for the 2nd CD? :( If I remember correctly, someone here once said that MS will replace lost CD's at low cost...is that right?

the file you downloaded is a Torrent file. This contains hashes and checksums, which are used to download the actual file. To download the file, you need a BitTorrent client, I strongly recommend ?Torrent. Once you get a bittorrent client, you open the .torrent file you already downloaded using the client, then the file you need will be downloaded. In this case, you only need the disc image that converts XP Professional to XP Media Center Edition 05, so you only need to download 2 of the 5 files included in the torrent, "Windows XP to Media Center Edition 2005 Converter.iso", and the readme that explains how to use the converter, "windows.xp.to.media.center.edition.2005.converter.nfo". If you don't already know, you just open files with the .nfo extension in notepad. I suggest you read a few short articles on how to use BitTorrent first, it is very simple. I have tried all the files in this torrent, and they work perfectly. For more help after you have downloaded the 2 files you need, see the original page and the comments, HERE. You may have to update your existing installation of XP Pro using Windows Update before you can successfully complete the XP Pro to MCE 05 upgrade process, I did.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

I don't know.. Just thought I would throw that out there. :P

Isn't media center just an application basically? I know there are work arounds where you can install it onto plain xp.

All Windows XP Media Center Edition is is Windows XP Professional, minus the XP Pro feature "Joining Domains". All that is added is the Windows Media Center suite, which consists of Media Center, the Royale theme, and, sometimes, a aquarium screensaver.

And to clarify, if anyone has any doubts that the torrent I linked to is really the 2005 version of MCE, here is the answer-

As for the 2002 issue, let me explain... Media Center Edition 2005 is nothing more than a series of updates for Windows XP Pro. Always has been. Your system properties will still show 2002 because there was never a newer release of XP Pro on the market. Now, where the 2005 comes in... Open Media Center and from the Menu screen, select "Settings" then "General" then "About Media Center" then "Software Version". It is within here that you?ll find "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition... version 5.1... rollup2... etc."

I apologize for any confusion you all may have but if you dont believe me about the version of Windows released, google it or search Microsofts maze of a site and you?ll come up with the same answers I?ve given you.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.