AdAware 2007

chronos55

Those using the free version should be aware that it installs a service aawservice.exe that runs at boot by default. This can be set to manual for free version users.

This seems to be happening a lot lately. The new AVG AS does this as well. Also A Squared Anti Malware just updated the program and it also installed a service that runs at start up. AVG and A Squared didn't have these before the updates. I was able to disable the A Squared service with no ill affects on the program but it seems the AVG AS service needs to be running.

• Moderators

Its ok.

The new interface is decent enough and it scans fast(did one of my computers in like 7-8minutes). I do however not like that back ground service.

Where AVG's is like 5mb or something small the adaware one started at 20mb when I first looked and when I looked again it was at 50mb. Thats a little too much for something that shouldn't even be doing anything..

If this version can remove tough infections like vundo, smitfraud, ect then it will be great. If not then it will go unused by me just like the last version was the last year or so.

Its ok.

The new interface is decent enough and it scans fast(did one of my computers in like 7-8minutes). I do however not like that back ground service.

Where AVG's is like 5mb or something small the adaware one started at 20mb when I first looked and when I looked again it was at 50mb. Thats a little too much for something that shouldn't even be doing anything..

If you disable it does the program still launch and scan OK?

• Moderators
(I already uninstalled adaware. )

I may also follow that course of uninstalling it. The new GUI is alright, and at least it automatically checks for updates now.

I had 13 false positive detections in my HOSTS file, all were valid and none were infections which immediately let me know not to trust the HOSTS file scanner just like Spybot-S&D. I don't see how they can deem valid blocked sites in the HOSTS file as a hijack.

Some of the stuff it wants to remove can't even be fully seen in it's non-sizeable description, i.e.; the full path/listing which I can imagine some people aren't going to like one bit, I surely don't.

What I'd call a bug:

It allows for the integration in the Windows right click shell via the settings for file and folder scanning. However since it's the free version it won't scan anything - perhaps that was an oversight. I can just see someone scanning some download that's got adware or spyware in it, and thinking all is o.k. and then get an infection. :rolleyes:

• Moderators
Thanks Hazelnut,

If the service is set to manual it will run ;)

Yes it will run. The program launches and scans with no problems with that service turned set to Manual. Note: After launching Ad-Aware it will start the service automatically. :rolleyes:

Edit:

I just noticed that service is taking 21.3 MB of memory on my system. I'm now uninstalling Ad-Aware 2007 Free.

• Moderators

Should have mentioned, if you Disable the service Ad-Aware can't launch at all, so make sure you only set it to Manual as Hazelnut detailed otherwise Ad-Aware will pop up a few error screens.

Thanks for the thumbs down :rolleyes: Wasn't there a similar discussion relating to the new AVG anti spyware program?

What benefit does a program like adaware get from preloading itself at startup?

I won't be installing it.