Free Cyberhawk Pro

Humpty

Some may be interested in the offer below.Registration was sent no probs.

Ticked Sypware Doctor as I think I used it a fair while ago. ;)

We are delighted to announce the acquisition of Cyberhawk by PC Tools. For a limited time we are offering all PC Tools customers a free license for Cyberhawk Pro to use in conjunction with their PC Tools software.

Cyberhawk Offer

• Moderators

Well, it goes without saying that I'm no expert in these things, but I've been running with Cyberhawk all afternoon, and it doesn't seem to be conflicting with Avast Antivirus or anything else for that matter.

And it registered OK.

Has two processes running at approx 4mb and 3.5mb, with no noticeable difference in speed.

All good so far.....Just been stopped in mid sentence by this:

2007-06-06_185040.jpg.xs.jpg

It's certainly doing it's job as that's a first.

I assume that's what browsers do when you're typing? :huh:

I repeat, all good so far.

• Moderators
I repeat, all good so far.

Same here, and we're even using the same antivirus. If it weren't for the systray icon of Cyberhawk I wouldn't even know it's running. Also it's Rootkit scanner is very fast, even when doing the "full scan."

• Moderators
All good so far.....Just been stopped in mid sentence by this:

2007-06-06_185040.jpg.xs.jpg

I wonder if it's some Firefox extension you have installed. Some have descriptions that claim they "phone home" or something along those lines.

• Moderators
I wonder if it's some Firefox extension you have installed. Some have descriptions that claim they "phone home" or something along those lines.

I've no idea, but I've just noticed the "threat control protection log" says the threat was triggered by Firefox.exe.

It didn't trigger when I booted Firefox, only when I began typing a post on here, and although I didn't check the "remember this answer" box, it hasn't reappeared.

Probably just flexing its muscles. :D

I've no idea, but I've just noticed the "threat control protection log" says the threat was triggered by Firefox.exe.

It didn't trigger when I booted Firefox, only when I began typing a post on here, and although I didn't check the "remember this answer" box, it hasn't reappeared.

Maybe a session manager thing. I know the session manager extension I use (don't know about FF2's own session restore) can restore tabs including typed info in forms, I would assume it would have to log that typing in some way to do that.

Just a thought :)

• Moderators

I thought all was going well with it until I went to create a 7-Zip 7z archive and 7-Zip kept erroring out and only creating a .tmp file. Removing Cyberhawk Pro allowed 7-Zip to function correctly. :( Oh well.

• Moderators
I thought all was going well with it until I went to create a 7-Zip 7z archive and 7-Zip kept erroring out and only creating a .tmp file. Removing Cyberhawk Pro allowed 7-Zip to function correctly. :( Oh well.

I think we're batting on the same team here.

Can't put my finger on it exactly, but things don't seem as smooth as they were before, and to be truthful, I was fine security wise before I installed it, free or not.

Anyway, it was an interesting exercise, although I hope it's working fine for those who keep it.

• Moderators
I didn't even bother. I had used this program a long time ago and it gave me all kinds of grief.

I generally hate these types of programs anyway.

You should have warned us with something like: "this program is gonna suck" :lol::lol::lol:

Installed, ran scan, came back here, read the replies and uninstalled :lol:

I found nothing wrong, except cyberhawk was continually trying to call home after I blocked internet access.

Doesn't it strike you as strange when we seem to be continually questioning the companies we used to trust in the security business...

Are we just too paranoid, or maybe just ignorant? Prehaps the software companies should explain their products in a bit more detail.

Have installed it in a vm and seems ok ATM.Use Winrar here and I haven't really thrown any tests at it except for scoundrel simulator which it blocked all five attempted changes

Scoundrel Simulator

Also trying out Dynamic Security Agent in another vm, which is a free anti executable.Quite a bit noisier that Cyberhawk but seems snappier in blocking Scoundrel Simulator.

At this point I would say Dynamic Security Agent is prefered over Cyberhawk.I don't really need any of these type of apps and am just trying them out in virtual machines as testings and learning experience.

Now if you really want to test your defences try the ones below.Mainly for a firewall but a HIPS/Anti-executible should be pick up a few as well.

Firewall leaktests

Using a VM or Powershadow these tests are discarded at reboot.

• Moderators

Those leaktests are one of the biggest scams I've ever seen. Yeah I know its important for a firewall to not allow things out that shouldn't but I think its way more important for it not to let in things that shouldn't be. There are firewalls out there (comodo for example) that claim to be the best because they stop the most leak tests but in reality the program is so buggy and finicky that its worse then any virus that your going to get in terms of annoyance level. Yet people spout how its the best because of all the leaktests it passes.

(Almost all the major software firewalls suck now. Its not just comodo that blows)

I'm completely over the idea of software firewalls. They are all more trouble then they are worth.

Just turn on the windows one or even better go buy a cheapo $20 router.

The whole "HIPS" thing is a croc too. Yeah I know "detection based prevention is flawed and blah blah blah" but if you leave your protection down to the user then thats deffinitely less secure in most cases. Plus the software is really annoying, buggy in most casses, and confusing.

I think there are so many of these buzz words going around that most people don't know what to do.

It kills me there are people out there that spend more time "securing" their computer then actually using it. They spend more time creating "virtualizations" and "image back ups that can never fail" then actually surfing the web. Of couse you aren't going to get viruses because you aren't actually using your computer for what it was intended! If windows actually required you do all of this crap just to stay virus free then I would jump in with the linux freaks because then I would actually save time/annoyance. In all truth the whole computer security market is turning into a big scam. Keep people scared and confused and they will keep throwing out the bucks.

Update Windows

Secure IE or use another browser

Install an antivirus and some spyware detection program

Quit doing stupid crap

Thats it!

And I didn't intend to turn this into the biggest rant ever. The words just poured from my finger tips. :D

Well we are all different with me wanting to learn new things.

Windows Updates have caused problems for a few users.Like the recent Realteck driver issues.

Can you remember that zero day attack with over 200 variants a fair while ago where not a single AV protected the user whereas Sandboxie and Defensewall did.

So in effect I am nearly the opposite to you in security.

Don't use buggy Windows Updates

Get rid of sap sucking AV's and AS's.

Use virtualisation/Sandboxes/Snapshots and or images.

Pity Defensewall is a pay for app as this IMHO is one of the best security apps on the market.If my local PC shop had it stocked it would be on my computer as I won't post any financial details on the net.

Anyway that's my rant. :P

• Moderators

You don't update windows?

Thats probably the worst thing you can do security wise.

Its funny you mention "sap sucking" avs when sandboxie uses more ram then AVG AV(which doesn't even use 2mb) and probably Antivir too which uses less then 10mb. I can't remember an exact number for sandboxie(I'm sure you can) but I want to say it was between 20-30 right? I can't comment on how much ram all the other virtualization programs use because I haven't tried them. I meant to try powershadow but I never bothered. I understand the concept and I know the way I use a computer and they just don't go together.(having new files dissapear on reboot just isn't in the game plan. I guess if I wanted to test viruses or something I would give it a shot but I have no desire to do that. I just don't think the full drive virtualization is right for most people.) I know google just bought a sandbox program for the browser and if they can improve it and such then it might be good. If its stable, light, and at browser close asks you if you want to keep the files that were downloaded then I think that would be a great user friendly program.

I don't bother with real time antispyware on any of my computers. I think scanning with them every so often is good enough)

I'm not sure what zero day your talking about as there seems to be a new one every other day. Have any of you actually ever been exploited by one of these? It never seems to be the ones who know anything about computers that are. It just always seems to me that the people who can use all of the confusing security applications don't need them and the ones who do get infected are going to get infected regardless.

I haven't tried defensewall. Is there a trial available?

Also humpty how in the world do you avoid shopping online?!

2AM shopping at circuit city is like an addiction for me... :(:P (sometimes stuff is just so much cheaper online and even cooler late at night.)

• Moderators

Oh and to those outsiders reading this I'm not trying to come off as arogant, all knowing, or anything like that.

I'm just trying to come from a reasonable perspective taking into account what I know about general pc users, my own computer experience, ect.

I don't think I'm always right and that everything I think is better just because I think it.

I'm not delusional where I think pc viruses are not something to worry about(I spend quite a bit of my time cleaning them up) but I don't think its necessary to make them your primary goal of computer usage. If that were the case then I would have quit using computers a long time ago because they wouldn't be worth the frustration. :D

Sandboxie is a 250 kb download and a meg installed and doesn't scan every file or action like an AV or need a huge blacklist containing up to 500,000 entries

At system startup bring up taskmanager asap and watch your AV mem usage.I think you will find it's way up there, then it dumps the mem after a bit.Most AV's use this method now.

With taskmanager open, open My Computer and note explorers mem usage then minimize the My Computer window.Explorer's memory drops dramatically.AV's use the same method.

Last time I fully updated Windows it just wasn't as snappy and like an AV there will always be security updates while XP is still supported.

Ghosted back to before the updates and won't go there again as I prefer my own security to any AV or Windows updates.

Zero Day Attack:(No probs for me)

What is a zero-day attack? We define it as a virus or other exploit that takes advantage of a newly discovered hole in a program or operating system before the software developer has made a fix available?or before they're even aware the hole exists.

"Zero day" is the day you open a virus-infected e-mail attachment or get hit by a drive-by download because the antivirus or antispyware software you diligently kept up to date knew nothing of the brand-new attacks.

Article

I haven't tried defensewall. Is there a trial available?

Also humpty how in the world do you avoid shopping online?!

2AM shopping at circuit city is like an addiction for me... :(:P (sometimes stuff is just so much cheaper online and even cooler late at night.)

There is 30 day trial.

The only shopping online I do is for computer bargains that caters for just our area where we ring or email details where cash and goods are exchanged on the spot.

Navada