hazelnut

Currently using Opera

I just hope this goals would be really achieved

Improve Performance

Startup Time

Page Render Time

Tab Switching time

and this

Improved Memory Footprint (This one is a widely known prob of FF, considering it munches up to 100mb+ of memory)

Those cons are known for FF. I really want to see the improvement (and the memory consumption too!)

Some interesting stuff there, can't say I'm particularly keen on any of it (seem to be heading towards the bloated end of the spectrum if that blog's anything to go by) but interesting nonetheless. They seem to be 'taking inspiration' from existing extensions in several places but I doubt half of that will even make it into the final version.

Currently using Opera

I just hope this goals would be really achieved

Improve Performance

Startup Time

Page Render Time

Tab Switching time

and this

Improved Memory Footprint (This one is a widely known prob of FF, considering it munches up to 100mb+ of memory)

Those cons are known for FF. I really want to see the improvement (and the memory consumption too!)

That is just stupid! I have seven extension enabled and five sites open and look at my memory usage at bottom of Task Manager!

ScreenShot003.png

Use it for a long time and go to websites that are "memory hungry" errrr... or is it CPU hungry? I have seen it go up to 124mb of memory (memory leak perhaps), although I'm too lazy to create screenshots of every detail I make in my computer.

Firefox.png

Firefox memory consumption fresh start

Opera.png

Opera memory consumption fresh start (don't mind the name, my flimsy friend played with the configuration and says Opera is an ugly name >.< oh well)

Using the Lix theme in Opera

That is just stupid! I have seven extension enabled and five sites open and look at my memory usage at bottom of Task Manager!

ScreenShot003.png

You are complaining about 42 MB of ram usage from Firefox? I have 6 browsers installed and none of them use less than that. In fact they all use significantly more. Firefox launches at 40+ on 3 different machines here. I am curious what other browsers you use that you are comparing to?

Use it for a long time and go to websites that are "memory hungry" errrr... or is it CPU hungry? I have seen it go up to 124mb of memory (memory leak perhaps), although I'm too lazy to create screenshots of every detail I make in my computer.

Firefox.png

Firefox memory consumption fresh start

Opera.png

Opera memory consumption fresh start (don't mind the name, my flimsy friend played with the configuration and says Opera is an ugly name >.< oh well)

What theme is that you are using on the bottom screen shot? I know the top one is Blue Ice.

You are complaining about 42 MB of ram usage from Firefox? I have 6 browsers installed and none of them use less than that. In fact they all use significantly more. Firefox launches at 40+ on 3 different machines here. I am curious what other browsers you use that you are comparing to?

I'm saying that with seven extensions enabled and five websites open I'm only using 42K of mem, which I think is just great. I think Firefox memory leakage is exaggerated!

I'm saying that with seven extensions enabled and five websites open I'm only using 42K of mem, which I think is just great. I think Firefox memory leakage is exaggerated!

OK, I agree :P Sounded like you were complaining.

Just a tip with taskmanager.If you place the mouse pointer on "Mem Usage" and click it will toggle the highest to lowest or vice versa.

MY GOD?! How do you have like nothing running?!?! I want that on my Dell...then again, Norton does have like 5 processes running at once... that could be a start...

AJ

MY GOD?! How do you have like nothing running?!?! I want that on my Dell...then again, Norton does have like 5 processes running at once... that could be a start...

AJ

I have 20 processes on one machine and 21 on another. I went through all my running processes and services. Googled each one and found out what was safe to disable. When I bought the Dell lap top their were over 50 processes running in Task Manager. I have lost 0 functions since I killed off the junk. Absolutely insane the amount of crap they have starting with the machines.

I have 20 processes on one machine and 21 on another. I went through all my running processes and services. Googled each one and found out was safe to disable. When I bought the Dell lap top their were over 50 processes running in Task Manager. I have lost 0 functions since I killed off the junk. Absolutely insane the amount of crap they have starting with the machines.

Maybe I'll try that sometime..

Here's the funny thing.... I like Firefox a lot, but never had a problem with memory, till about 5 minutes ago.

irony2fv4.jpg

Normal

ironyed1.jpg

OMG Bloated!!!

I figured it out that since the web page was so long that it did this. My memory and CPU maxed out!!

This computer is Windows 2000 Pro

Now on my Dell (Windows XP Home) I did something similar when I watched a movie trailer in HD - once it was fully loaded, my page file usage was through the roof.

My question now is.... why in Win 200 does it say Mem usage vs. Page file usage (Win XP) under Task Manager???

AJ

Autoruns is very good - I disabled about 50% of all my startup items. XP is running very smooth.

Problem is you have to do it again and again; many updates (Java RTE, QuickTime, Adobe Reader, etc.) all put their crap back into the startup list at every update.

I'd say Autoruns is for advanced users; inexperienced users go better with Startup Inspector.

Problem is you have to do it again and again; many updates (Java RTE, QuickTime, Adobe Reader, etc.) all put their crap back into the startup list at every update.

You can get round that with a few of them. For example Java always puts back jusched.exe (think thats right), search for that file and when you find the jusched.exe rename it juschedOLD.exe or similar. After that it won't add itself back to startup, works with RealPlayer (Realsched?) and QuickTime too and probably any others (those are the only ones I've done it with though so can't guarantee it)

• Moderators
ironyed1.jpg

OMG Bloated!!!

I see the usage go high if downloading something in Firefox, especially if downloading multiple files at the same time. When it's idle or when I'm just browsing though it's typically 40+ MB and that's with 4 extensions and 1 additional theme.

I see the usage go high if downloading something in Firefox, especially if downloading multiple files at the same time. When it's idle or when I'm just browsing though it's typically 40+ MB and that's with 4 extensions and 1 additional theme.

I was wondering how much memory people expect a browser to use? Is 40mb particularly bad? and can it be compared fairly with other browsers which don't have all the various extensions and addons?

If a high memory usage doesn't adversly effect the way I surf or use my PC, then I'm really not bothered. Checking memory usage constantly is like looking for a problem that doesn't really exsist.

Lastly every system is different. 40mb might be a lot to some and peanuts to another. It makes comparisons worthless.

Autoruns is very good - I disabled about 50% of all my startup items. XP is running very smooth.

I'd say Autoruns is for advanced users; inexperienced users go better with Startup Inspector.

I didn't even need to use Autoruns to cut my processes down from over 50 to 20 now. I used msconfig, also went into services and disabled what didn't need to be running, and some programs have an option to disable them at start up. For example I disabled jusched.exe in msconfig and went into control panel and selected Java and the update tab and disabled automatic updates. Jusched.exe never ran again and no need for renaming the file or any other tweak.

• Moderators
If a high memory usage doesn't adversly effect the way I surf or use my PC, then I'm really not bothered.

When Firefox is using something like 80+ MB I know it because it causes my system variable speed cooling fan to run much faster with more noise. When I used to use Opera I never noticed it using nearly as much as Firefox, but since I haven't used Opera for at least a year now I have no current comparison on my system. But then again I've noticed a number of programs that seem to run "bloated" on WinXP.

For example I disabled jusched.exe in msconfig and went into control panel and selected Java and the updated tab and disabled automatic updates. Jusched.exe never ran again and no need for renaming the file or any other tweak.

Autoruns isn't something necessary for me, although I've played with it in the past. Like you I disabled the Java updater in the Java Control Panel link, then I used CCleaner to delete the automatic startup entry from the registry and I've never once seen it load again.

For those that are worried about FF's mem usage you can get it to drop when FF is minimized to tray.FF usually between 40 - 100 here and no problem.

config.trim_on_minimize [boolean] (False) *Create - This setting only works in Windows, and determines whether Firefox - much like other Windows applications - reduces its memory usage when minimized to the Taskbar.

If set to true (the default), it will use less memory when minimized, which is useful for systems with low RAM and multiple open applications. However if set to false it will speed up minimizing/maximizing Firefox, as it will not constantly attempt to reduce and reclaim RAM, and this can also increase stability - thus I recommend a setting of false for most people.

FF tweakguides