Hotfix Uninstallers

kaybee

As a regular and hugely satisfied user of CCleaner, but also a 'non-tecchie', I would like to pose the following question:

On CCleaner settings the Advanced section includes 'Hotfix Uninstallers' - could someone please tell me what this is and, if it's selected, what difference does it make? :huh:

Does it clear a 'shed load' of redundant files/storage and is therefore completely safe to check this box, or should it be used with caution and, if so, what do I have to be mindful of before ticking this checkbox?

I am using Windows XP with SP2 and regularly use 'Windows update'.

Thanks in anticipation!! :rolleyes:

If you clean the Hotfix Uninstallers, you won't be able to uninstall any Windows Updates.

This isn't usually a problem, but it was once when I needed to uninstall a WMP update back when I was using XP.

If you look at the Windows folder in Explorer, the Hotfix Uninstallers are in the folders shown in a blue font.

If you look at the Windows folder in Explorer, the Hotfix Uninstallers are in the folders shown in a blue font.

Only if you've compressed them (or disk cleanup has), thats all the blue font means. Any file or folder can be compressed and have a blue font (though only with NTFS filesystem).

From the CCleaner Beginners Guide:

This will remove your Windows Updates uninstallers from WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB$, you will not be able uninstall the Windows Updates.