New JkDefrag

slowday444

New update again: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/index.html

JkDefrag v3.15 (June 14, 2007)

Changes:

- Added extra breakpoints so the program will quit faster.

- Added special exception for Acronis OS Selector files.

- Changes to facilitate Delphi programmers. All callbacks are now CDECL.

- Added a Pascal example program.

Can i trust JKDefrag anymore? What if there's gonna be major bug in some release, that can mess up my files/system? Is JKDefrag reliable anymore...? :huh:

My thinking exactly. I am using the GUI version 0.7 and it works absolutely perfect for me. None of the so called improvements in the newer versions are anything I would use so I see no reason to update. If it it ain't broke don't fix it.

My thinking exactly. I am using the GUI version 0.7 and it works absolutely perfect for me. None of the so called improvements in the newer versions are anything I would use so I see no reason to update. If it it ain't broke don't fix it.

Are you aware of the moving of 'spacehogs' to the end of the data, even in the default (fast) optimisation mode. I'm running the latest version now, after hanging onto 3.8 till bugs were sorted, and its working very well. There was alot added to the version of JKD that started the run of bugs so there were bound to be some minor issues that needed ironing out (and they were all pretty minor).

I'm also using that new JKD Starter GUI I mentioned a few posts back (as Ewieldras original gui is yet to be updated) and that also works well.

Can i trust JKDefrag anymore? What if there's gonna be major bug in some release, that can mess up my files/system? Is JKDefrag reliable anymore...? :huh:

To quite JK himself (hope he doesn't mind): Even if there was a major bug in JkDefrag then all your data is still perfectly safe. JkDefrag is built on top of the Microsoft defragmentation API and does not access the harddisk by itself. It doesn't even know what a harddisk is, that's why it works on everything that looks like a disk to Windows such as floppies and USB sticks. All JkDefrag does is send commands to the API, basically "move this file to that location".

Are you aware of the moving of 'spacehogs' to the end of the data, even in the default (fast) optimisation mode. I'm running the latest version now, after hanging onto 3.8 till bugs were sorted, and its working very well. There was alot added to the version of JKD that started the run of bugs so there were bound to be some minor issues that needed ironing out (and they were all pretty minor).

I'm also using that new JKD Starter GUI I mentioned a few posts back (as Ewieldras original gui is yet to be updated) and that also works well.

No I wasn't aware of the "spacehogs". I will update when Ewieldra updates the GUI.

No I wasn't aware of the "spacehogs".

From JKD homepage

What are SpaceHogs?

SpaceHogs are less important files that take up a lot of space. JkDefrag moves them to the slow end of the disk (zone 3), so that all the other files can be moved to the fast end. The internal list of SpaceHogs is (you can add more with the "-u" commandline option):

* Files bigger than 50 megabytes

* Files not accessed in the last month

* ?:\Progam Files\Installshield Installation Information\*

* ?:\RECYCLER\*

* ?:\System Volume Infomation\*

* ?:\WINDOWS\$*

* ?:\WINDOWS\I386\*

* ?:\WINDOWS\ie7updates\*

* ?:\WINDOWS\Installer\*

* ?:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\*

* ?:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\*

* ?:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations\*

* ?:\WINNT\$*

* ?:\WINNT\I386\*

* ?:\WINNT\ie7updates\*

* ?:\WINNT\Installer\*

* ?:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\*

* ?:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\*

* ?:\WINNT\Downloaded Installations\*

* .7z

* .arj

* .bz2

* .cab

* .gz

* .lzh

* .rar

* .rpm

* .tar

* .z

* .zip

* .msi

Could someone explain how Jkdefrag has gone from version 3.7 on February 24 to the recent version 3.15? It almost sounds like the versions are going backwards, unless the older versions are meant as 3.07, 3.08, etc?

Update - I checked his forums and see that the versions are numbered 3.7, 3.8, 3.9. 3.11, etc. It's the equivalent of saying the version after 3.9 is 3 point 10. I'm not sure why he did it this way but I'm not going to question genius and someone who's willing to create and update such a great program for free.

Did you notice any performance difference with your computer after using the new version of JK Defrag compared to the older version?

Its hard to say (as were probably talking miliseconds difference). I ran the 'Sort by last access date' optimisation last night (and added some of my own spacehogs for moving to the end) and launching my most used apps seems a little snappier and with less disk activity. But I could just be imagining it. Either way I'm happy to have those files near the start of the disk and to be able to move big rarely used files out of the way right to the end of the disk data.

So, after all of these updates, do you think it's fairly safe to conclude that 3.15 is pretty much bug free and stable? Also, when do you think we can expect to see a new GUI from Ewieldra?

So, after all of these updates, do you think it's fairly safe to conclude that 3.15 is pretty much bug free and stable? Also, when do you think we can expect to see a new GUI from Ewieldra?

Yes I think its now bug free (judging by the lack of bug reports since the latest version was released).

As for Ewieldra's new GUI version, should be soon. I know he is working on it but was also busy with something else last time I discussed it with him.

In the meantime I can highly recommend the new GUI I mentioned earlier, I like it alot:

Feature list:

- supports all command line options of JkDefrag 3.11

- all settings are saved in a plain-text file in the same directory where the executable is

- can also copy the generated command line to the clipboard instead of running it, so you can easily create batch files

- optimizes the generated commandline: default options (like "-a 3") are left out.

- does not require that the JkDefrag.exe is in the same directory as the Starter (doesn't even require that ANY executable of JkDefrag is available on the computer Razz , but it can use any of them (also the command-line version))

- small standalone executable (136 KB uncompressed)

- written in pure C++ and WinAPI -> no additional dependencies

- currently supports two languages: English and German

For download an a screenshot use the following link (page is German):

http://web41.server2.dce4u.de/index.php?me...ragstarter.html

The archive includes the complete Visual Studio 2003 project.

Sorry about that. For some reason, I thought this GUI was still back on 3.12 or 3.13.

It'll work with whatever version of JKD you've got. Its only a front end, all it does is send the commands you select to JKD and as the last few JKD versions have only been bugfixes (ie no new features) the gui doesn't need to be updated, ie it'll work exactly the same with JKD 3.12 as it will with 3.15.

For that GUI though you will need to download JKD itself seperately from the JKD Homepage.

I've started to really like this GUI and may even stick with it even after Ewieldra releases his updated GUI, which is the one I've always used before (unlike the GUI above his needs to be updated as he hasn't yet got the new JKD features/commands built into it)

The GUI for JkDefrag 3.15 has been released: http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

Well just had a look at it, the way it handles exclusions and including spacehogs is exactly the same as the JKD Starter GUI I've been using recently. I thought he would maybe add a browsing ability so that those who didn't quite understand how to include/exclude files could just browse to them and include them. On the plus side that means I can just copy and paste my inclusions and exclusions from JKD Starter to this to try it :)

Its also about three times the size of JKD Starter (only 3Mb though). Plus I don't like that Ewieldra's GUI has to be kept open when defragging using about 10Mb of memory, JKD Starter can be closed once defrag starts which is important if defragging with as little running as possible (to obtain a better defrag/optimisation result).

The only advantage it has is that it keeps the disk display visible when defrag finishes, JKD Starter goes to a blank screen. I don't think that alone is enough for me to switch back to this GUI though, I'll be sticking with JKD starter.

Version 3.16 released: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/index.html

JkDefrag v3.16 (June 22, 2007)

Changes:

- Changed the message in the docs about the screensaver under Vista, it works if User Account Control is turned off.

- Bugfix in "-a 3" (fast optimize). It would not use Perfect Fit for gaps that were larger than all the data already processed.

- Bugfix in "-a 6" (move to end of disk). Files in zone 1 would not be moved.

- Added some translations of "Program Files" to the build-in list of SpaceHogs:

Archivos de programa (Spanish)

Arquivos de programas (Brazilian Portuguese)

Ohjelmatiedostot (Finnish)

Program Files (All others)

Program (Swedish)

Programas (Portuguese)

ProgramFiler (Norwegian)

Programme (German)

Programmer (Danish)

Programmes (French)

Programmi (Italian)

- Fixed a typo in the "System Volume Information" string in the SpaceHogs.

- Fixed the displaying of the zone number, should have been + 1.

For programmers:

- Changed the "makefile.bat" script, "JkDefrag.exe" does not need to be linked with "JkDefragScreenSaver.res".

@JDPower

Some replies on your comments

- The reason why my GUI is much bigger than JKD is simply, you don't have to download JKDefrag because it's built in and it has more functions.. Installer / Uninstaller / Screensaver / 64 bits support / more languages all these files are added..

- There's no special reason why my GUI stays open .. it returns to JKDefrag because maybe you want to defrag another folder/file/drive .. and 10MB memory .. ???? Windows Live Messenger takes 25 Skype 25 and i can't think off any reason why 10mb more memory improves defragging.. but this option can be implemented.. no problem at all

- And JKD Starter uses the same as my GUI does, for excluding/including/Spacehogs the reason is simpel .. browsing for files and folders is possible but browsing for *.log and other wildcards is not possible.. futher the help button which is added the the inputbox explains enough i think

Emiel

@JDPower

Some replies on your comments

- The reason why my GUI is much bigger than JKD is simply, you don't have to download JKDefrag because it's built in and it has more functions.. Installer / Uninstaller / Screensaver / 64 bits support / more languages all these files are added..

- There's no special reason why my GUI stays open .. it returns to JKDefrag because maybe you want to defrag another folder/file/drive .. and 10MB memory .. ???? Windows Live Messenger takes 25 Skype 25 and i can't think off any reason why 10mb more memory improves defragging.. but this option can be implemented.. no problem at all

- And JKD Starter uses the same as my GUI does, for excluding/including/Spacehogs the reason is simpel .. browsing for files and folders is possible but browsing for *.log and other wildcards is not possible.. futher the help button which is added the the inputbox explains enough i think

Emiel

I wasn't criticising, I think you know from the JKD forum I'm a fan of your GUI, was just giving a comparison. Different GUI's work best for different people.

I take your point about the size of the GUI, a slight oversight on my part on the reason for the difference (JKDStarter is still only 820Kb including JKDefrag).

My reason for mentioning the memory the GUI uses is simply because, as I mentioned, most times I like to have as little as possible running when I run JKD (and generally have as little as possible running for general usage too). 10Mb is still 5 times more than my AV and if it doesn't actually need to be running, it would be a good feature to be able to close it.

Finally my comment about about the inclusion/exclusion method was not a criticism, as I said it was actually quite useful (and will be in future if I switch back to your GUI).

I can understand you being defensive about your GUI but I was merely offering a comparison between the two and for my usage JKDStarter is most useful for me at present.