Creating a BOOTLOG.txt

harddrive

Win98SE

GenuineIntel

x86Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3

255.0MB RAM

I've had this computer for 5 years and am trying to learn more and more all the time.

Going thru the motions is a good teacher for me.

Now:

I am trying to use a Boot Log Analyzer and it says I have to create a BootLog first.

Makes sense to me.

Everything I've read says to re-boot to the 'Boot Menu' and select 'option 2' for BOOTLOG.TXT. So, that's what I done. Everything booted normally and now I can't find any evidence of a Bootlog file.

Where does it go? I looked in C:\ - :huh:

Can anyone tell me what I done wrong?

Thanks-

Harddrive

Generally it's a hidden file in C:\

Thank you!

Right where you said it was...hidden-

I ran the BootLogAnalyzer and it shows a 26 second delay when starting TCP/IP.

*See image below:

post-1440-1115085450_thumb.jpg

I'm using a Belkin wireless network adapter on this computer to connect to another computer thru a Linksys 802.11a router on a cable modem. That all works great.

Is there a reason that the TCP/IP start up listed in the bootlog would take so long?

Total boot time according to the log is:

start 17:11:22

finish 17:12:36

Thanks!

Harddrive

post-1440-1115085450_thumb.jpg

Network settings are often a cause of slow boot times. One common problem is that a network card has the TCP/IP protocol loaded and is set to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server, but no server is available. The PC will wait up to a minute for an answer from the server before it gives up and continues booting.

The solution to this problem depends on how your network is configured. You can check network settings through Start | Settings | Control Panel | Network. (Don't make changes here if you're on a company network that is supported by a network administrator; check with them first.)

If you're not using TCP/IP on your local network, only for ISP dial-up, then just remove the binding between the network card and the TCP/IP protocol. You'll see this in the Network dialog as a line that reads "TCP/IP -> (network card name)". Select that item and click Remove.

If you are using (or trying to use) TCP/IP on your local network, then you either need to have a DHCP server running on the network or use manually-assigned IP addresses. For most small networks of Windows 9x systems, manually-assigned addresses work fine. The "10 dot" range is a good one to use for a small network. For each PC on the network, give it a unique IP number in the sequence 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, and so on. You set this number in the Network dialog. Select the entry "TCP/IP -> (network card name)" and click Properties. On the IP Address tab, choose "Specify an IP address" and enter the unique IP number you've chosen for this system. For the subnet mask, enter "255.0.0.0" for all systems.

Tell me if this helps.

Original Page