McAfee free for a year

Humpty

• Moderators

It uses well over 120mb of ram for the av and firewall. Strike one.

It is slugish, takes forever just to open the gui, and slows down start up considerably. Strike two.

Lackluster detection rates compared to even the free avs. Strike three.

I could list probably 20 more but thankfully its 3 strikes your out.

• Moderators

I wouldn't install it if they were giving it away as a free AV for life, let alone one full year.

So it's so horrible that they're now trying to entice people to use it by offering a free one year trial. :lol::lol::lol:

after the expiration I disable it :)

The expiration, and you're disabling of it was most likely the best tune-up your system has seen since you started using it! ;)

If I had seen that on my system (or even Norton) I would've immediately formatted the hdd!

• Moderators

This is a good plan of McAfee's part. Maybe they "can" get more users, I hope they offer free tech support on that...

I would rather use a can of Raid on my desktop than McAfee, it would stand a better chance.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

McAfee has been giving 3 month trials away for a long time on Dell, HP and other computers. Crap comes preinstalled. These clowns at Dell and HP get paid to force Mccrappy and Norton on you. You have to fight with Dell (which I did) to get your system without the garbage on it. Every computer I see in the stores around here has either Norton or McAfee installed. Have fun removing this stuff if you decide you don't want it.

They couldn't pay me to install thier program. I tried it once and that was one time to many. !!!

They don't need to pay you. They pay the major computer manufacturers to install it. Than make it difficult for you to uninstall it. :blink:

They don't need to pay you. They pay the major computer manufacturers to install it. Than make it difficult for you to uninstall it. :blink:

Whatever.!! No matter what way you look at it's bad news.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators
How hard is it to uninstalled norton or mcfee? I guess some registries still in your pc

They leave more s**t behind than a forest of s**t happy mice with bellies fully of cheddar cheese. Although I was rather good at getting rid of Norton AV back in 2000-2002 but even being thorough as I was in it's manual remove of leftovers will miss a whole hell of allot of registry entries.

However some people like it, but in liking it they should realize once that it's installed it's pretty much on your system for good until you format because even an uninstall watcher isn't going to get rid of everything especially where all AV's write registry data in Enum\Root of all the CurrentControlSet and ControlSet areas.

It uses well over 120mb of ram for the av and firewall. Strike one.

It is slugish, takes forever just to open the gui, and slows down start up considerably. Strike two.

Lackluster detection rates compared to even the free avs. Strike three.

I could list probably 20 more but thankfully its 3 strikes your out.

I have question for you because you seem VERY knowlegable. What Anti-Spyware programs do you use.? Could you also please include a link.? THANKS!! KS-FINN

They leave more s**t behind than a forest of s**t happy mice with bellies fully of cheddar cheese. Although I was rather good at getting rid of Norton AV back in 2000-2002 but even being thorough as I was in it's manual remove of leftovers will miss a whole hell of allot of registry entries.

However some people like it, but in liking it they should realize once that it's installed it's pretty much on your system for good until you format because even an uninstall watcher isn't going to get rid of everything especially where all AV's write registry data in Enum\Root of all the CurrentControlSet and ControlSet areas.

Since I can tell your very computer smart I have question for you. What Anti-Spyware programs do you use if you don't mind me asking.? Could you please include a link in your reply.? THANKS.!!

KS-FINN

• Moderators

As far as Anti-Spyware, I recommend SUPERAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware. I also have Spyware Doctor and Spybot S&D, I just find them two to be the best.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

As far as Anti-Spyware, I recommend SUPERAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware. I also have Spyware Doctor and Spybot S&D, I just find them two to be the best.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT. I read alot of your Forum Posts and I trust your advise. THANKS AGAIN.!!! ;) KS-FINN

• Moderators
What Anti-Spyware programs do you use if you don't mind me asking.?

KS-FINN

At the moment and probably into the distant future as well I have always used two for the past few years which are Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Spybot-S&D. On occassion I'll install AVG Anti-Spyware for a checkup scan. As I've stated before I haven't had any adware/spyware for 7 to 8 years now, I simply don't get the stuff - not even tracking cookies.

If you want links to stuff that's recommended you could have clicked the link in rridgely's signature 'Recommended Security Applications' which has a pre-compiled list of good freeware antispyware and other security related tools like firewall and antivirus too.

At the moment and probably into the distant future as well I have always used two for the past few years which are Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Spybot-S&D. On occassion I'll install AVG Anti-Spyware for a checkup scan. As I've stated before I haven't had any adware/spyware for 7 to 8 years now, I simply don't get the stuff - not even tracking cookies.

If you want links to stuff that's recommended you could have clicked the link in rridgely's signature 'Recommended Security Applications' which has a pre-compiled list of good freeware antispyware and other security related tools like firewall and antivirus too.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.!!!!! ;)

As I've stated before I haven't had any adware/spyware for 7 to 8 years now, I simply don't get the stuff - not even tracking cookies.

Same here, nothing for 3-4 years. Have just cut down the AS programs I have and got rid of AdAware and SuperAS. Kept Spybot, for its immunise function and tools, and AVG Anti-spyware, for its 'right click>scan with...' function (as well as their on demand scanners of course).

• Moderators
AVG Anti-spyware, for its 'right click>scan with...' function (as well as their on demand scanners of course).

Yes JD, I use that function a lot. Also people tend to forget that in the tools section it has a file shredder with 3 modes, the top one being paranoid mode :lol:

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com