arraging bookmarks?

mikeb

I'm looking for something to help me arrange bookmarks by site/url. For example I want to take all my Youtube links and put them in a youtube bookmarks folder. Searching them is not all that difficult because the bookmark description usually has the name "youtube - blahlalblabl", so they're easy to search out. The problem I've had is I've lost links when attempting to move large quantities of them.

What I'm looking for needs to be able to search by url, for example to find all bookmarks for a certain site where the name or url isn't clear like Youtube but more like www.youtube.com/fkdjfkdfjk and another ckjeckec.youtube.com/12121.html. They're from the same site but the bookmark syntax isn't the same so searching out that type of bookmark is more difficult and I still haven't found a good way to find, highlight and move them all to one folder. Any suggestions? Oh I'm using FF 2. Thanks.

You can right click a bookmark or tab - properties and in the name field you can change it to anything which shows as the bookmark name while the url stays the same.

Also under bookmarks - properties you can put in a "keyword" that can be typed into the url search field without needing the full url.

Try it with this forum.Right click the bookmark or tab - properties and put CC in the Keyword field then type CC in the url address field.

If you right click within the bookmarks field you can sort by name.

Don't know if this is much help?

Never mind. I got an extension called Flat Bookmark Editing https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/117

For some reason didn't think it suited me before it was in it that I'd lost a bunch of urls trying to move them around. But I started messing with it and found how to move "batches" of bookmarks properly. It's not drag and drop as I wish but it works. Also, I can search out all urls from a certain site like what I tried explaining in my previous message.

Oh, and it also makes for quick keyword assigning, which is an great thing... :)

• Moderators
Never mind. I got an extension called Flat Bookmark Editing https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/117

For some reason didn't think it suited me before it was in it that I'd lost a bunch of urls trying to move them around. But I started messing with it and found how to move "batches" of bookmarks properly. It's not drag and drop as I wish but it works. Also, I can search out all urls from a certain site like what I tried explaining in my previous message.

Oh, and it also makes for quick keyword assigning, which is an great thing... :)

Hi mike. I could be wrong here, but FireFox's Bookmark Manager may possibly be better than you think.

The extension you mention uses FF's Bookmark Manager, and only gives you an extra box at the bottom of the page, the identical same box you can open with one click on the properties button on the Bookmark Managers toolbar.

If I'm telling you something you already know, then apologies, but it hardly seems worth adding an extension to save one mouse click.

As Humpty was saying, you can change the name of any bookmark to anything you want without changing the URL, and then you can select a batch of bookmarks by Alt Gr, and drag and drop them all across to a folder of your choice, a feature you were looking for.

You can arrange your bookmarks by Name, Location, Keyword, Description, Added, Last Modified, Last Visited, just about most things you would need, including, as Humpty mentioned, assign keywords to them.

Once I'd played around a little bit with FF's Organise Bookmarks, I found it did everything I needed to get organised. I've tried a couple of FF extensions, including Flat Bookmark Editing, but nothing IMHO that really improves on what's already there.

Anyway, whatever works for you, and if you do already know all this stuff, just disregard this (finger aching) post. :lol:

Hi mike. I could be wrong here, but FireFox's Bookmark Manager may possibly be better than you think.

You know you're absolutely right. I think I'm so used to secondary apps and junk, that I overlook what's there. Couple that with losing so many links last time I attempted to work with it and I was pretty pissed and wanted something different. The extension does make some things easier, and there definitely are improvements (behavoir and gui) I'd prefer on the bookmark manager, but yeah it works pretty well. I was definitely underestimating it because I have so many bookmarks.

I did find other extensions, openbook and bookmark duplicate detector, which help me organize a little more fluently from the moment I hit ctrl-d.

• Moderators

I eventually realised Mike, that there's no easy fix with stacks of bookmarks.

I devoted however long it was going to take, to just sit down and get all my bookmarks organised, and once I'd done that, (took about 25 minutes, not long really) finding the site I wanted was a piece of cake.