IE not installing active x controls

nod32

For some strange reason IE doesn't seem to want to install any active x controls. I re-formatted about 2 months ago. It's definetly not malware related, and has nothing to do with the security settings in IE or my firewall/av. Here's my thread in another forum, with everything that I have tried so far.

For those too lazy to click this is basicly it:

Running XP Pro SP2 (legit)

When I try to install an active x control, nothing happens and I get Code Download Error logs in my temp folder.

Used the M$ code error log veiwer

Tried sfc /scannow

Re-isntalling IE

Checked the group policy editor.

And a few other things, all of which are in the link at the beginning of the post.

Thanks

Im really stumped on this

Download this:

<link removed>

Check everything in box 1 (especially the first checkbox), and checkmark box 4, and click Go. Lemme know. ;)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

start, Run...,

cmd /c attrib -r -h +s -a "%systemroot%\Downloaded Program Files"

(including quotes)

If that doesn't help (it shouldn't), then try merging each of these, and trying again before moving on to each next one:

http://djlizard.net/1.reg

failing that, try http://djlizard.net/2.reg

then http://djlizard.net/3.reg

etc http://djlizard.net/4.reg

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Tried the 3 reg files and

cmd /c attrib -r -h +s -a "%systemroot%\Downloaded Program Files"

I got a 404 error when I clicked on the link for 4.reg

Stupid IE. :angry:

If U Try Everything But Still Can't Work...Best Option Don't Use IE And Use Other Browser Like Opera Or Firefox...

both Opera and firefox doesnt run on internet explorer engine... but they are prefered... but if you want anything that run on internet explorer engine, try maxthon...

--==aGumon==--

If U Try Everything But Still Can't Work...Best Option Don't Use IE And Use Other Browser Like Opera Or Firefox...

Alternatives are nice but they are not the solution in this case.

Why? Because when he has to go to Windows Update, attempts to go to websites or even use Msn Messenger that will want ActiveX to help him install the needed files for updates or to play games, he will HAVE to have IE for that. Even virus scanners like McAfee and others need to have ActiveX for this.

Yeh... we want a solution to this problem, not an avoidance of the problem. This issue bugs the crap out of me.

Ok, 4.reg was messed up or something and didn't make it to my site... I deleted it and then forgot what key I got it from anyway... no big loss..

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

For some strange reason IE doesn't seem to want to install any active x controls. I re-formatted about 2 months ago.

Are you able to download from Windows Updates?

Do you encounter any *.inf file errors when installing applications? (Try and install Winamp 5.09 if you use it, this one used to show a common *.inf error when I had a similar problem.)

For some strange reason IE doesn't seem to want to install any active x controls. I re-formatted about 2 months ago.

Do you encounter any *.inf file errors when installing applications? (Try and install Winamp 5.09 if you use it, this one used to show a common *.inf error when I had a similar problem.)

Man they sure gave you the runaround on that CastleCops site too. o.o

I use Firefox, but I need IE for other things...

Do you encounter any *.inf file errors when installing applications?  (Try and install Winamp 5.09 if you use it, this one used to show a common *.inf error when I had a similar problem.)

Man they sure gave you the runaround on that CastleCops site too.  o.o

Yes, Windows Update is working. It wasn't when i first started expiriencing the active x problem.

I was just about to update Winamp :lol:

I use Firefox, but I need IE for other things...

Yes, Windows Update is working. It wasn't when i first started expiriencing the active x problem.

I was just about to update Winamp  :lol:

Good to know Windows Update is working. Do you have HijackThis by chance? Also, did Winamp install without any problems?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 5:39:41 PM, on 06/05/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Sygate\smc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe

C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Mattt\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [smcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\smc.exe -startgui

O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\npjpi150_03.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\npjpi150_03.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe

O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\smc.exe

Winamp installed fine.

O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\npjpi150_03.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\npjpi150_03.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

Those can go, but I see no problems at all. Strange though... Where's the O16 for the Downloaded Program Files?

Tarun, lately you've been scaring me as you've been telling people to remove things they actually shouldn't be removing. Why would you want to rip out Sun Java like that?! You need to stick to removing malware, and stop recommending removal of things that are optional... like that one person that removed their security system on your recommendation...

Anyway, Internet Explorer restrictions are present?! Argh! Definitely want to fix that.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Tarun, lately you've been scaring me as you've been telling people to remove things they actually shouldn't be removing.  Why would you want to rip out Sun Java like that?!  You need to stick to removing malware, and stop recommending removal of things that are optional... like that one person that removed their security system on your recommendation...

Anyway, Internet Explorer restrictions are present?! Argh!  Definitely want to fix that.

It's an Internet Explorer button and menu item, it's not needed. It won't hurt to remove it and everything will function just fine.

browse %systemroot%\downloaded program files\ using Explorer's 'details' view, see if you spot anything 'damaged' or 'unknown' and investigate them -- if you're so inclined, you could also browse that folder using CMD prompt and see if files relating to the Genuine Advantage tool are in there and need to be wiped out

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

I've already checked there a few times. Only 2 files. Both are Java Runtime Enviorments. Their the same version, created at the same time, and niether are damaged.

I tried deleting them, but it said there wasn't enough information and they just dissapered.

Problem still present :angry: