Spybot S+D still a "must have " app?

hazelnut

• Moderators
I'm on Eastern US time.

Currently its 7:12 PM here. :D Usually I can never sleep so I'm on a lot late at night.

9:15AM Here in Queensland, Australia :lol::DB)

Thanks for that guys.

I'm usually wondering what time people are on. Adds another dimension to the forum realising the actual distances that separate everybody.

Still use spybot. Tea timer has protected my registry several times.

There was a bug in the script for the tea timer popup window, but that should be fixed now. A new release was going to incorporate the fix. If not, a fix for it is described here: (its easy, I did it :P )

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Many software companies seem to change the attitude towards their customers when they get successful; we have seen several really bad such examples in the recent past. Lavasoft was one of the earlier companies to try that; some of you may remember the episode when they changed their detection algorithm, which allowed some spyware to be bypassed. Although they did not do that intentionally, it resulted in hundreds of complaints in their support forum. The first sign of bad was that all complaints got deleted by the forum moderators. When more complaints arrived than the moderators could delete, they shut the forum down permanently. No more support, even for (paid) Pro users. (They did set up some kind of 'Pro' support web site, but I have never been able to login. E-mails to support staff were never answered.)

That's when I knew that this company was "over the hill", and I uninstalled Ad-aware Pro that I have used for so many years. Ad-aware was a very good product once (the first anti-spyware, to my knowledge), but no longer.

Regarding my earlier rant: :blink:wrong product! I was talking about Ad-Aware, not Spybot Search and Destroy. Sorry for the mix-up!

Just wondering what other members think about whether spybot is still a one to have in the fight against spyware.

I dropped it a long time ago in favour of Kaspersky, Opera and savvy surfing. I know someone raised awhile back if anyone actually stills gets any spyware. Bottomline is avoiding notable sites that hoard spyware.

To me, Spybot and Ad-Aware has been serving me well for the past few year without fail. So I am going to stick it them. But now I do use other software along with them such as SpyCatcher which I think isn't a bad software.

Just installed sandboxie and Powershadow. Both make pretty big changes, I think, but they installed with no warning from a host of protectors too numerous to mention. Only one that protested was little ole Tea Timer. :P Made'em wait for the OK. Old fashioned, maybe, but I like it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I have been using Ad-Aware and Spybot for quite some time now (along with SpywareBlaster). I have AVG for my anti-virus, and then the Windows firewall.. along with my router's firewall. With these programs I have never had any problems. I can almost 100% assure I will not have anything go wrong. Watch what websites you surf, and what you download.. and I can promise you will not need any new fancy anti-spyware programs. These have done me fine for some years now.. and I don't intend on changing anytime soon. :)