Jump to content
Piriform Community Forums


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Willy2

  1. I came across something weird. I think I have further proof that the option(s) "Defrag freespace" must be recoded/re-programed.


    The following happened:

    1. Before I used the option "Defrag freespace" I had no fragmented files on my drive. but after I used this option I had three (!!) defragmented files.

    2. I then manually defragmented these three files. Two files were defragmented without any strange behaviour. But the third file showed some weird behaviour. It was moved from spot X to a place with plenty free space and was defragmented. But apparently the program was satisfied and - according to the drivemap - moved the file back to that very same spot X, this time the filelist said that it was defragmented. It probably wasn't the very same spot were it was "pulled" from but it certainly looked like it.

  2. This is a follow up on post #18 of this thread.


    Below in the attachment a zipped file containing a picture which makes it clear what went wrong with the "Defrag free space" options. During execution of one (or both) option(s) some (a lot of (??)) files are skipped. Perhaps these files are designated Hidden, System or Write Protected by Windows XP and therefore skipped by Defraggler ?


    After I used one (or both) "Defrag free space" option(s), I manually defragged one particular file (in dark blue in the picture). It's clear there's a empty gap right in front of that file. And that is proof files are skipped by "Defrag free space".

  3. In Defraggler 1.02.085 there's something odd. In the drivemap one can not see where the file called Pagefile is located. On my computer drive C: has a size of 11 GB and the Pagefile occupies (at least) approx. 300 MB, so it should be visible somewhere in the drivemap.


    Perhaps it's the intention of the programmakers to NOT show this pagefile in the drivemap any more ? Then of course, the socalled "Drive map legend" should be modified accordingly.

  4. I, along with some other people, have lost a lot of free space to using Defraggler ( approx. 150 GB / 1 TB on D: and approx. 50 GB / 320 GB on C: ). While this is not a pressing problem for me, it is particularly annoying.


    I have attached a screenshot clearly showing just how much space is occupied by all the files on D: and how much free/used space is reported by Windows.


    I would also be quite happy to run more tests and attach debug logs.


    If anyone out there knows a fix for this, please let me know.


    Is the loss of free space due to the fact that you have indexed that drive ??

  5. Yep, this DEBUG mode is indeed useful because when looking at the map in Defraggler I do get the impression the program doesn't always defrags ALL the the free space.


    There are two "Defrag freespace" options.

    1) "Defrag free space".

    2) "Defrag free space (allow fragmentation)".


    Option 1) defrags the drive WITH (some) additional defragmentation of files. And I do get the impression that it also skips files. Or are these files which are write protected, hidden, system files by the WINDOWS system and therefore skipped by DEFRAGGLE ?

    This becomes apparent when after one manually defrags individual files. By looking at the map, one can make a guess where defragged files will be placed but sometimes the program seems to have a different opinion and places the files in a different spot.


    I have added a logfile containing the following actions:

    1. "Defrag freespace".

    2. "Defrag freespace (allow fragmentation)".

    3. Defragged a number of individual files.

  6. Suggestions for improvements for Defraggler RC2:

    1. Add a color (gray ??) to the columnheader of the filelist in order to indicate on which column the filelist is sorted. On filename, filesize, number of fragments, etc. Omit the color when the files aren't sorted at all.

    2. Add to the columnheader of the "Filelist" an arrow pointing down or up to indicate how the defragmented file are sorted (if and when sorted). This in order to indicate an ascending or a descending sorting order.

    3. Omit the ""Status" tab. The information on both the number of defragmented files and the number of fragments can be displayed on the right hand side of the 4 buttons ("Analyze","Defrag", etc.). The piegraph depicting the amount of free and used space is simply a waste of programming lines and bloates the program.

    4. Create a clear black line or a small divide between the map of the currently active drive and the file list. This line should serve as an indicator where to put the computer mousepointer in order to resize both the drivemap and the filelist. In the current program that's more or less a matter of guesswork.