User Assist History not cleaning correctly

roxie

Running Windows XP Pro and CCleaner v1.33.382

When I run CCleaner and select Windows/Advanced/User Assist History two things are happening:

First - after CCleaner runs, I look at the Recently run Applications (Start) - it still shows the program history like nothing was cleaned.

Second - if I run CCleaner a second time (only selecting User Assist History or leaving the same slections as the first time), when I look at the Recently run Applications (Start) - the list is now cleared.

But, nothing ever shows up as I run programs - Word, CCleaner, Outlook, etc. The list remains blank - blank until I reboot - then the Recently run Application list begins to show programs as I run them.

So, I think there is a problem with the way CCleaner is clearing the User Assist History.

In trying to figure out what is happening, I ran another application called "Clean Cache 3.5" http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/

This program has a similar option to "Clean UserAssist Registry Entries" and "Remove" them. It works just fine - when I run it, the list is not cleared until the next application is run - say I had five programs showing - I run Clean Cache, look at the Start menu and the programs are there, run a new program, and look at Start menu - the list now only shows the one program.

I prefer CCleaner, so I would like to know if anyone else has seen this issue with User Assist History.

Thanks

Running Windows XP Pro and CCleaner v1.33.382

When I run CCleaner and select Windows/Advanced/User Assist History two things are happening:

First - after CCleaner runs, I look at the Recently run Applications (Start) - it still shows the program history like nothing was cleaned.

Second - if I run CCleaner a second time (only selecting User Assist History or leaving the same slections as the first time), when I look at the Recently run Applications (Start) - the list is now cleared.

But, nothing ever shows up as I run programs - Word, CCleaner, Outlook, etc. The list remains blank - blank until I reboot - then the Recently run Application list begins to show programs as I run them.

So, I think there is a problem with the way CCleaner is clearing the User Assist History.

In trying to figure out what is happening, I ran another application called "Clean Cache 3.5" http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/

This program has a similar option to "Clean UserAssist Registry Entries" and "Remove" them. It works just fine - when I run it, the list is not cleared until the next application is run - say I had five programs showing - I run Clean Cache, look at the Start menu and the programs are there, run a new program, and look at Start menu - the list now only shows the one program.

I prefer CCleaner, so I would like to know if anyone else has seen this issue with User Assist History.

Thanks

No response? Am I the only one who has seen this problem or did I not post enough information?

Thanks

Hi Roxie,

I don't use CCleaner to clear my programs list (I just do it from the taskbar)... but I thought I'd try it tonight just to see if I could reproduce your results. This is what I found:

1. The recent programs list (user assist history) is not cleared immediately by CCleaner.

2. Opening any program that would normally appear on that list seems to clear it. I did not actually have to run CCleaner again. I opened Microsoft Word then noticed the list had cleared afterwards.

3. Programs are not added again to the list until after a reboot of my machine.

I am using:

Windows XP Home Edition SP2

CCleaner v1.33.382

Dig

Hi Roxie,

I don't use CCleaner to clear my programs list (I just do it from the taskbar)... but I thought I'd try it tonight just to see if I could reproduce your results. This is what I found:

1. The recent programs list (user assist history) is not cleared immediately by CCleaner.

2. Opening any program that would normally appear on that list seems to clear it. I did not actually have to run CCleaner again. I opened Microsoft Word then noticed the list had cleared afterwards.

3. Programs are not added again to the list until after a reboot of my machine.

I am using:

Windows XP Home Edition SP2

CCleaner v1.33.382

Dig

Dig,

Its the "reboot" issue that botohers me. It only seems to happen with CCleaner; the other program, CleanCache, doesn't seem to need the re-boot before the list starts to populate again. And yes, on both programs, it takes adding one new program for the list to clear and start building again.

Since CleanCache doesn't require the reboot, I still think the lastest version of CCleaner isn't functioning correctly on the UserAssist items.

Dig,

Its the "reboot" issue that botohers me. It only seems to happen with CCleaner; the other program, CleanCache, doesn't seem to need the re-boot before the list starts to populate again. And yes, on both programs, it takes adding one new program for the list to clear and start building again.

Since CleanCache doesn't require the reboot, I still think the lastest version of CCleaner isn't functioning correctly on the UserAssist items.

Maybe thats just the way CCleaner is programmed, so that it needs a reboot to properly clear the user assist history. Just because it works differently to another program doesn't mean theres something wrong with it.

Maybe thats just the way CCleaner is programmed, so that it needs a reboot to properly clear the user assist history. Just because it works differently to another program doesn't mean theres something wrong with it.

Didn't mean to be negative. I think I have seen other comments where CCleaner had cleaned some things that required a clean reboot to begin functioning again; but I don't think that is the norm for most items cleaned.

Wonder if anyone knows for sure if its only Windows System items that require a clean reboot to start working again. Be nice if it were documented somewhere.

In this case, the history list does clear, it just doesn't begin repopulating again as programs are opened from the Start menu. Seems strange and I don't remember if this happened in previous versions - that's why I ask the question; and the "Bug Reporting" intro says "report things that aren't working correctly on your system."

I just want to know for sure if this is a bug (compared to the other program I mentioned) or working as designed.

Thanks

Hi again all...

I agree that it's quite possible CCleaner is setup in such a way that it requires a reboot to clear this particular menu item, but nonetheless it is not necessary...

If you clear the recent programs list from the taskbar (by right-clicking the start button and going to properties/customize)... the list clears immediately and does not require a reboot to begin adding to the list again. So the Windows system obviously does not require a reboot to perform this task.

However, perhaps this issue is not actually a bug, but rather should be moved to the suggestions section on how to improve the software.

Dig

Hi again all...

I agree that it's quite possible CCleaner is setup in such a way that it requires a reboot to clear this particular menu item, but nonetheless it is not necessary...

If you clear the recent programs list from the taskbar (by right-clicking the start button and going to properties/customize)... the list clears immediately and does not require a reboot to begin adding to the list again. So the Windows system obviously does not require a reboot to perform this task.

However, perhaps this issue is not actually a bug, but rather should be moved to the suggestions section on how to improve the software.

Dig

Dig,

I agree, this could be moved to the Suggestions list - I really reported it since, without any documentation stating that a reboot was required (and its not on most all the other Cleaned items), in my opinion, it was not working correctly on my machine.

I really just wanted someone to confirm this was correct operation for the UserAssist items and that they got the same result on another machine. If so, then it should be documented that certain "cleaned" items will require a system reboot before they begin functioning again.

Like you pointed out, using the Start/Properties to clear this list doesn't require rebooting so there must be a way to do it.

If its a "Suggestion", so be it. I just wanted to know for sure.

Thanks