Solution: When CCleaner won't install (Windows)
First start by reading the official documentation for solutions to install problems.
Do not rename the downloaded installer file, for example if it's named ccsetup528.exe leave it as is. If the installer file is renamed to something else such as CCleaner v528.exe, etc., there's a chance the installation will fail. This is specifically on Windows 10 computers.
Other possible solutions when CCleaner won't install:
- Make sure the installer file isn't named CCleaner.exe, if it is rename it to the original filename, example: ccsetup528.exe
- Make sure the installer file ends with the .exe extension.
- Download and save the installer file into your Downloads folder and start the installation from there, don't select Open or Run from within your web browser. Credits go to Hazelnut for this tip.
- Exit running programs that may interfere, or temporarily disable them, i.e.; antivirus software, etc.
- Make sure CCleaner isn't already running. To find out if it is open Task Manager to see if it's in the list of running processes.
- Reboot your computer.
- Try to install CCleaner in Safe Mode. Credits go to Hazelnut for this tip.
- Make sure the installer isn't trying to install into a non-standard location, view this post for an explanation. Credits go to srom for this solution.
- Try a clean installation of CCleaner. To do this uninstall CCleaner, restart your computer, and then reinstall CCleaner. Note: Doing this will cause you to lose your CCleaner configuration such as Cookies to Keep, etc., and you'll have to reconfigure it to with your preferences.
- If the above attempts fail download the Portable version of CCleaner, then unzip it to use CCleaner, you can even unzip it into the folder where an older version of CCleaner is installed to update it. Note: If you update an already installed version of CCleaner using this method delete the portable.dat file before launching the new version of CCleaner.
- If you're still having issues after trying everything listed above scan your computer with a trusted anti-virus and anti-malware software.
Hazelnut found this external post about another won't install cause, and the solution:
If you have DEP or ASLR set to Always On please read this post by safeguy on Wilders Security forum:
To avoid fake/rip-off/download site wrapped versions (which could be malware in disguise) only download CCleaner from the official Piriform site: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Edited by Andavari, Yesterday, 08:24 PM.