CCleaner v5.32.6129 (x64) & Firefox 55 (x64)

WebHD

Hello there, newcomer here. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but I recently updated to the latest version of Firefox (version 55) and notice that my favicons or site icons keeps getting deleted when I use CCleaner, which never happened before, at least not with older versions of Firefox. I've pinned the culprit down to the 'Internet History' checkbox in CCleaner, but what I'd like to know is if this is normal, why do I have to clean my favicons just to delete internet history for Firefox now when it worked well before without clearing my favicons?

Right now I clean the files manually because it takes a long time to restore the favicons for my bookmarks which I use to identify site from site because I don't use names just icons in the bookmark toolbar in Firefox and it is somewhat annoying to have to redo all my bookmarks every time I use CCleaner to clear history.

Regards WebHD.

• Moderators

If , just after the application had been updated, CC starts removing things it didn't before then I would first suspect that is the application update that has changed something rather than CC.

A couple of things you could look at-

Are you using an add-on for the favicons?

If so then I suspect this could be Firefox changing the way it handles add-ons and extensions. They have been doing this by stages for the last few versions.
It's possible that they have changed the location where the files used by add-ons are stored so that they are stored in with the history.

I do know that they have been looking at a bug with FF's own favicons, and are supposed to have fixed in in 55.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1356525

Another thing to look at is- where you using FF 32-bit version previously.
FF used to install 32-bit unless you specificaly told it to load 64-bit.
With FF55 it will automatically load 64-bit FF on a 64-bit system.

I don't know if it would make any difference but you can still install the 32-bit FF version on a 64-bit system, you just have to do it yourself by downloading it from the 'languages' page and installing it manualy.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Firefox 55 added a new database file for the favicons (favicons.sqlite). Therefore, you have to visit every bookmarked website again to get the favicons back.

CCleaners option "Firefox: Internet Cache" deletes the cache files (favicons.sqlite-shm, favicons.sqlite-wal) of this new file. After cleaning the cache many favicons are gone again.

Edit: This is a bug in Firefox 55. Firefox usually transfers the cache into the database file and then deletes the cache files on closing. But the new Firefox 55 doesn't do that sometimes.

• Moderators

So the short answer would be to make these 'favicon' files an exception in CC (Options>Exclude) so that they don't get cleaned.

But if a bug in FF is deleting them itself then this would not help, and all bets are then off until FF fixes the bug.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Yes, an exception for the file types *.sqlite-shm and *.sqlite-wal helps. (The bug affects all opened database files, not only the favicons.)

It is correct that Firefox deletes those cache files on closing, because prior to that Firefox transfers the contents into the database files. Unfortunately, sometimes Firefox 55 closes without doing that.

Sorry, I was wrong. The Firefox bug with the cache files is just a part of the problem.

WebHD is absolutely right: CCleaners option "Firefox: Internet History" makes most of the favicons disappear! (CCleaner shows no files and 0 kB.)

• Moderators

done :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@mta: Thanks! :)

JFYI: It still occurs with CCleaner 5.33 and Firefox 55.0.2. The option "Firefox: Internet History" manipulates the files "places.sqlite" and "favicons.sqlite". (You can see that on their file dates.)

Thanks for the reply guys, it helps...sign! seems like whenever Mozilla takes one step forward it then takes two steps back.

I agree.

I play it safe with Firefox now and just use the most recent Firefox "ESR" version.

The ESR version is always more stable and keeps most recent security updates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hey guys,

The favicons bug fix is a bit more complicated than it first seemed so it is not fixed in this release. We believe it affects favicons that are hosted on remote CDNs (not as part of the main web domain). We will aim to resolve it in the next release if other things do not take priority.

Hey thanks for the reply, i realize this is like super minor issue compared to most issues, but just coming in here and saying what you did goes a long way!

Also I might have a some sort of hint or maybe not a hint more like I notice something strange with favicons + CCleaner use.

So normally the problem comes from using Firefox > "Internet History" which destroys favicons, but I've also noticed that with my Gmail bookmark, and I mean only Gmail, that if you use System > "DNS Cache" that the Gmail favicon goes poof too, weird, and maybe related? shrug.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 10/24/2017 at 7:01 PM, Stephen Piriform said:

Hey guys,

The favicons bug fix is a bit more complicated than it first seemed so it is not fixed in this release. We believe it affects favicons that are hosted on remote CDNs (not as part of the main web domain). We will aim to resolve it in the next release if other things do not take priority.

This fix will be in the November release (due out tomorrow).