Avast aquires Piriform

hazelnut

Interesting. I wonder what a anti-virus company wants with a few system optimizers.

I wonder how this will effect Winapp2, as well. We were in the middle of deciding if Winapp2 should be licensed and who it should be copyrighted under, but they never got back to us.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

• Moderators

might explain why input from high has been quiet lately. :)

surely over the years to come, Avast will 'merge' the products together.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

the word from high, at this stage is "business as usual"...

(but heck, if you are part of the staff at either company, you'd be slightly anxious about job security right now.  I've never heard of two companies merging without some level of job cuts)

Avast aquired AVG not that long ago and I can't imagine they have it all paid off already, so I assume they probably got a good deal on acquiring Piriform. I think we will defiantly say goodbye to Defraggler and Speccy, as since Windows 7, there are tools built into Windows for these types of things. They were useful during XP/Vista times, but they have long since abandon those systems now. I mean they were only updated once every 6 months to a year anyways. CCleaner might have been more of what Avast wanted, as I assume a lot of AVs are going to be struggling soon with some of the changes Microsoft is doing to Windows Defender in Windows 10 and it's only going to get worse for third party AV companies as time goes by any more people switch to windows 10 and beyond.

As for the future of CCleaner and Winapp2 is beyond me. I really hope they keep Winapp2 open-source and managed by community like it is now, but only time will tell on this. I assume CCleaner will eventually be merged into Avast as part of their system cleaner in time.

• Moderators

..... I assume a lot of AVs are going to be struggling soon with some of the changes Microsoft is doing to Windows Defender in Windows 10 and it's only going to get worse for third party AV companies as time goes by .....

I think that hits it on the head.

They can go like Kaspersky and start crying that MS is abusing its dominant position, https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/06/windows_defender_competition_complaint/ or they can see the future for 3rd party AVs and diversify now.

TBH Kasperkys stance seems to me like a radio manufacturer complaining that motor companies are abusing their position because they now fit car radios as standard.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

https://blog.avast.com/welcome-piriform-to-avast

Time to panic guys!!! CCleaner, Speccy, Defraggler and Recuva are all going bye bye, Avast are going to turn these programs into bloated disguised ads... Okay maybe not.

Discuss.

I predict CCleaner will turn into bloated adware eventually.  Why?  Because when it comes to $$, they (Avast) can't help themselves, that's why.

Speccy gone

Defraggler, gone

Recuva, gone

Yup...

... I assume a lot of AVs are going to be struggling soon with some of the changes Microsoft is doing to Windows Defender in Windows 10 and it's only going to get worse for third party AV companies as time goes by any more people switch to windows 10 and beyond.

Thing is, Windoze Defender is junk.  It hardly detects anything.  I know after using it for a year and having to switch over to Bitdefender.

So far, M$ isn't blocking 3rd party AVs from installing, but like with the Kaspersky example, I hope they get sued and let the courts have the final say.

Thing is, Windoze Defender is junk.  It hardly detects anything.  I know after using it for a year and having to switch over to Bitdefender.

So far, M$ isn't blocking 3rd party AVs from installing, but like with the Kaspersky example, I hope they get sued and let the courts have the final say.

Well in Win 7, 8 and pre-Redstone 3 updated win 10 systems, I would agree with this, but have you seen the changes Microsoft wants to do with Windows Defender in Redstone 3 for Win 10, which is probably coming out in September or October this year. They are finally combining EMET with Windows Defender, finally adding a machine learning behavioral blocker and it will be linked through a cloud so if one user gets infected, everyone will get a automatic signature right away to stop it from spreading to other systems. It's still early to determine if this will actually improve Windows Defender, but a lot of this is what Malwarebytes did with 3.x, so only time will tell.

I don't know if they will trash Recuva. A recovery tool still comes in handy at times. They might combine it with CCleaner, though, as that would be a good decision.

mmmh... avg under avast is not become better with changed user interface and it have blocked my email download for a while

the best is to wait and see how it develops and in which direction under the leadership of avast

perhaps piriform gets an own community forum software...?

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

I remember the heady days when this forum was CCleaner only, with an easy on the eye blue colour scheme.

Can't see the colour scheme coming back but a CCleaner only forum was so much less hassle.

Maybe my optimism is getting carried away.

I remember the heady days when this forum was CCleaner only, with an easy on the eye blue colour scheme.

Can't see the colour scheme coming back but a CCleaner only forum was so much less hassle.

Maybe my optimism is getting carried away.

I miss that blue theme.

• Moderators

I'd just love to be a fly hidden on the wall in both the Piriform offices and Avast offices because other than their blog posts I don't see much more information being sent our way to the Piriform community.

It's been a good run on here since 2004, however hopefully some other privately owned and maintained cleaning software will blossom without a huge corporation behind it.

I'd just love to be a fly hidden on the wall in both the Piriform offices and Avast offices because other than their blog posts I don't see much more information being sent our way to the Piriform community.

It's been a good run on here since 2004, however hopefully some other privately owned and maintained cleaning software will blossom without a huge corporation behind it.

Yep, been a good run.  Probably not over yet.  I think and hope this forum will continue to thrive, and all the Piriform softwares also.  This is probably not the end of "Like as we know it, Jim".  The careful approach taken by the Piri team, and the fast performance of the softwares, hopefully guarantees that the whole community will be OK. 

OK, shameless plug over.  But I really believe that stuff.  :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

It's just an aspect of business.

Small independent businesses start up to fill a niche that the 'big boys' aren't filling - get popular - grow larger -  get noticed by the 'big boys' - get bought out/taken over.
New small independent businesses start up - grow larger - ......

Of course if you can grow big enough before the 'big boys' notice then you get to big to easily buy out and become a 'big boy' yourself.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

It's Vlk from Avast and the Avast forums... I just came here to say that there is really no need to worry. We love CCleaner and the community aspect of it, and we're definitely not planning to make any changes that could jeopardize it.

Let's stay in touch.

BTW Avast also runs a pretty active community forum at https://forum.avast.com, if you haven't been there yet I recommend checking it out.

Thanks,

Vlk

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum vlk :)

Any Avast users we have here will probably already know about your forum, but good of you to post the link..

We also run a pretty active community forum here :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Vlk, only time will tell on the issue what avast and you have in mind!

Honesty and transparency is what folks like...as you can see by all the comments here and at 'Wildfers'

and even at your own forum users are very scared and leery of what is to become of some highly

regarded software that folks have used for many many moons.

I have personally seen what companies do when they buy out other software companies just to make a dime or two

I will not bring up names or software

Gordon

'Never Forget'
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP
C6VTfcL.png

• Moderators

I have personally seen what companies do when they buy out other software companies just to make a dime or two

I will not bring up names or software

Gordon

That's why I'm waiting too see what happens as actions will be louder than any words, or posts on forums.

Not mentioning names a totally different situation I remember from years past (but not too long ago) was when a big antivirus company bought out another antivirus company which I suspect was corporate cannibalism to kill the competition, sure they let them live for awhile but eventually that bought out company was out of business and dead along with their software and website - what a shame.

• Moderators

.... that bought out company was out of business and dead along with their software and website - what a shame.

and employees. :(

• Moderators

From a new thread today:

Our IT guy recently did some malware/virus work and install avast! Antivirus. That has been the only change with the PC. CCleaner has installed without issue prior

OK, it seems the problem is probably that CC was running (monitoring) when he tried to install, but wouldn't that be ironic if it was a clash with avast.