WINDOWS 95

TheFiresInTheSky

i was just given a 95 today and i dont have a ps2 mouse but im managing with the keyboard. the usb mouse dont work in it for some reason. anyways, i have a 98 installation CD but it says i already have an operating system on it. i cant figure out how to get it off. i dont have any other CD's or anything.

neighberaaron, welcome.

Create a DOS recovery diskette with FORMAT on it.

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servic...ewBRecover.html

Boot the diskette then FORMAT the hard drive then insert the Win98 CD and go to D:\WIN98 folder and run Setup.exe

You will need the Win98 25 digit registration key.

You will need a PS/2 mouse as it makes running Win98 so much easier.

A mouse can be purchased for about $5.00.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

have usb ports but how do i get them to work? will they work with 98?
Yes.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Windows 98 Recovery for B2131

1. Enter the BIOS F2 and Load Setup Defaults.

Once Defaults have been loaded under the Boot Menu change the Boot Priority so that FLOPPY DISK (A:)is listed as first device.

2. Exit BIOS Saving Changes, Machine will restart and Boot from the Floppy Drive.

3. Insert the Boot Recovery diskette for Windows 98. Click here to download (recomended). And start your LifeBook.

4. You will get the following menu

Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu

Start Windows 98 Setup from CD-ROM

Start computer with CD-ROM support

Start computer without CD-ROM support

Enter choice : 3

5. You are now at the A: Prompt.

First you need to clear the old data from your C: Drive.

To do this type FORMAT C:

6. Once the Format is complete, restart you LifeBook leaving the Boot Recovery diskette for Windows 98 in the Floppy drive.

7. You will get the same menu as before. Please select option 1 and start the Windows 98 Setup.

8. Follow the On-Screen Instructions and install Windows 98.

9. Once Windows has installed you need to install the remaining drivers and utilities. These can be found on the Drivers and Utilities CD. Insert this into the CD Rom Drive. The CDRom will Autorun and you will get the following screens..... See Below....

this is what you where talking about right? i downloaded the red part and put it on a floppy as an exe file. i try to boot up and it says

OS load in progress...

non-system disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready.

im tryin some other stuff right now tho...

i have it deleted now but i need help. i dont know anything about this. i need to download a boot up disk to use. ive tried 2 sites but they didnt work so i dont no wats up. im thinking about putting linux on it now. its more convienent if you reply by aim if you feel like it.

aim-abakerfromfrance

If I understand right,you have formatted your drive and now you want to install from a win98 disc.

Have you been into bios and set first boot device as CD?

Been a long since I used 98.

He can't get a boot disk so that he can format. So he can't boot at all. :( He's trying to find a boot disk that works so that he can format, and then install 98.

I'm looking right now, but the more people looking the better. :D

He's already tried

bootdisk.com

freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

But he said that they're not working.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

either that or linux. i heard that alot of ppl like linux and i have an extra computer (the one i screwed up) to put it on. its a crappy computer and id like to experiment with linux.

ive already formated it. it was after the format that i needed the boot disk since theres no operating system on there right now.

98 boot disk

You have to create the floppy on some other machine with the downloaded file, not just copy the download file onto the floppy. Use format c: /s and then use the Windows Install CD to reinstall the OS.

either that or linux. i heard that alot of ppl like linux and i have an extra computer (the one i screwed up) to put it on. its a crappy computer and id like to experiment with linux.

ive already formated it. it was after the format that i needed the boot disk since theres no operating system on there right now.

Okay I misunderstood.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

ok, now im confused. did you try this? i think its just me because its not working. im on an XP and i saved the exe to the floppy. i put it in my other computer and it says

OS load in progress...

Non-System disk or disk error

Replace and strike any key when ready

Use format c: /s and then use the Windows Install CD to reinstall the OS.

i already formatted. and theres no way i can enter anything in anywhere except the bios. so how do i do that?

ok, now im confused. did you try this? i think its just me because its not working. im on an XP and i saved the exe to the floppy. i put it in my other computer and it says

OS load in progress...

Non-System disk or disk error

Replace and strike any key when ready

Okay. No, I haven't tried it but I've done similar things with different files. You use the .exe to create a floppy. Not copy the .exe to floppy. Does that make sense?

Here, I just did it.

Save the .exe file to your desktop (somewhere easy).

Put a floppy in

Double click the .exe file on your desktop

Follow the instructions

Dude I just got your PM. The link that I gave you is for 98. Let me give you a link for 98 SE. Hold on.

Okay, here. Win98 SE

DAMN! i just tried on my other computer to see if it would make a difference and now its writing... my laptop has problems. this, and i put a blank CD in and it cant read it.

i hope this works...

WOW krit86lr! thank you soo much! your awesome!

Dont use Windows 95.

Atleast use Windows 98 SE (Second Edition).

But why would you want to use an 10+ year old operating system?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Win9x (including ME) is no longer supported by Microsoft, so you won't get any security patches for these old systems. The Internet world is a much more dangerous place now than when Win9x was created, so you will be forever at risk with these old operating systems.

Although I do not use Linux myself, I would recommend a Linux-type OS over a Win9x OS.

I have a Windows 98 computer also and I use Bug Off to close a few exploits on it.

"BugOff: This little app disables a few exploits that are commonly used by browser hijackers (including CWS), thus protecting you from infection. This does not remove an existing infection! Applicable to everyone that uses Internet Explorer.

Currently at version: 1.10"

-> http://castlecops.com/zx/Merijn/bugoff.zip