Upgrade deceitful or illegal?

nxf

I have been a user of CCleaner since the early days and because I liked it so much I upgraded to the Professional as it appeared to be a one-off payment.

When I upgraded via the website there was absolutely no mention (and still to this day 9th Nov 2016) that it was a renewable subscription. I have only found out when they asked me to renew my professional license after a year. The home page has at the bottom a Features, FAQs and Datasheet, with no mention of the payment details. The link to buy the product takes you to a page where there is a T&C at the bottom which mentions....

Where the Customer has purchased Products or Services with recurring payment obligations (subscriptions) the prices are due at the agreed interval(s) and the Customer shall pay these or make the corresponding purchase price available using the payment option he/she/it has selected for debiting by cleverbridge.

As there is absolutely no mention of a subscription that is recurring on the CCleaner website, is this not deceitful or illegal?

I had previously contacted them and have never received a reply. That is why I hope either a moderator or someone else reading this may be able to shed light on this problem?

• Admin

Hey there :)

Firstly, please let me apologize for any confusion regarding your CCleaner Professional license.

When you purchase CCleaner Professional, you can use the Professional license for as long as you would like, the product won't stop working and you'll retain the majority of the "Pro-Only" features, such as multi-user account cleaning and Active Monitoring.

After one year, the license expires which means that the product will no longer update automatically, and you will no longer be entitled to priority support. Other than that, the product will continue to work as normal.

I did look through our support system for your email, however I was unable to find it - could you let me know what email address you sent it to, and what email address you sent it from? I hope however, that this has cleared up any confusion for you :)

• Moderators

I think the first paragraph in section 5 may have the relevant info for you.

http://www.piriform.com/legal/software-license/ccleaner-professional

and a belated welcome to the forums. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.