v2.20.989 - Painfully Slow

LegoVader

Hello, I've been using Defraggler since 2009 and this is the first time I have a problem.

I defrag my computer once a month.

I have Windows 7 SP1 x64, 1TB Samsung HDD and only 320gb of installed files.

It 'd take arround 3 to 4 hours to completely defrag my driver, which usually had about 10~15% of fragmentation.

Yesterday I updated to v2.20.989 and started a defrag on this driver, after 6 hours, only 6% was completed on a 5% fragmentation.

It's strange because I checked all the options and they all are configured like in previous versions.

What is happening?

Painfully slow is an understatement. After 4 1/2 hrs, it is only 5% done and the total fragments have started to increase during the last hour. I am using Windows 10. Normally my computer would have defragged in at most 4 hours. This last update is not working!

How can I uninstall and get back to the prior version of Defraggler?

• Moderators

File Hippo has all the old versions of defraggler, if you follow the download links from piriform.com one of the choices is file hippo.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Guest Steve Piriform

Hi all,

Thanks very much for posting - we've also had a couple of customers report the same problem through our support team.

Our developers are looking in to it now :)

Hi all,

Thanks very much for posting - we've also had a couple of customers report the same problem through our support team.

Our developers are looking in to it now :)

Fantastic! Thanks for looking into this problem.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

thought ide give program a this a try

so far its been over 72hrs and only done 5% of a 500gb hhd

this seams very very slow imo any help?

here's the same reply you got earlier.

It's a known issue that is being looked into.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

- In other words: What was supposed to an improvement in DF wasn't one.

- To be frank, I very rarely use the "Defrag Drive" option. Didn't do it with this or the previous version(s). Takes too much time. I only use the "Defrag Drive" option to test the extra options ("exclude", "Quick Defrag", etc.) that are available for "Defrag Drive". In this thread

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32501

I reported many a thing that were "problematic" with those extra options. I could imagine and wouldn't be surprised at all that the slow degragging of an entire drive and the bugs reported in that thread (see above) are based on the same "weak spots" in the program code.

- Have the users, who have posted in this thread, used any extra options (from e.g. the "Exclude" screen) ? Or did Defraggler perform in those cases a "full scale" "Defrag Drive" operation ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

I find if you go to the File List tab, highlight or check everything there and Defrag that, it all goes infinitely faster.  No idea what the primary defrag function is doing to make it an order of magnitude slower.

That's because it's a files only defrag, and it doesn't perform a quick or full optimization.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came to say I'm having same issue... I thought my HDD broke down but it seems that Defraggler updated REALLY slowed it down. Usally took around 1-2h to defrag my HDD now after 5H it is at 3%... Defragging images takes like 1minute for .png files.... really really slow

• 2 weeks later...

If you use the Task Manager to see your hard drive activity at first the hard drive is at 100% to 5% active and at 7% completed for 1 day it never goes any further. Quick defrag works fine even on a 8TB drive.

Windows 8.1 and 10 running Defraggler v9.20 on 2 non raid and 1 raid stripe drive.

v2.20.989 that is the latest version of Defraggler, if used with Windows 10 then it causes 'Zero-Hassle'. What I am guessing right now is that Maybe that was your Hardware Malfunctioning'.

If you use the Task Manager to see your hard drive activity at first the hard drive is at 100% to 5% active and at 7% completed for 1 day it never goes any further. Quick defrag works fine even on a 8TB drive.

Windows 8.1 and 10 running Defraggler v9.20 on 2 non raid and 1 raid stripe drive.

Guest Steve Piriform

Hi all,

Just a quick note, we're almost there with an update for Defraggler. I'll post again as soon as I am sure of the release date.

Cheers, Steven

Hi all,

Just a quick note, we're almost there with an update for Defraggler. I'll post again as soon as I am sure of the release date.

Cheers, Steven

Thanks Steven! Will downgrade today and wait for upgrade in future days,

Guest Steve Piriform

Morning all,

The new version of Defraggler has now been released and should address the performance issues that were being experienced by some of you guys.

Let us know if you experience anything unusual when using the new version.

Cheers, Steven