I'm pretty sure CCleaner broke Windows 10 ...twice

JeremyGNJ

A couple weeks ago my installation of Windows 10 began to suffer from some serious problems.  Most noticeably the Windows store simply would not launch.  It happened right after I did a cleanup cycle (uninstalling software I don't use anymore, cleaning temp folders, running CCleaner, etc etc)

I did a lot of research and troubleshooting online before I gave up at did a full Windows 10 reset, which set everything right.

Last night it broke again and it was immediately after I ran CCleaner.   (after updating to the latest portable build 5.12.5431)   I did the following CCleaner Functions:

• Did a clean.  The only two "advanced" functions I have checked are "Old Prefetch Data" and "Menu Order Cacher"
  • Cleaned the registry twice  (I didn't notice anything unusual in the list)
  • Uninstalled a couple of Metro/Modern apps from the Uninstall function, such as Bing Sports, 3d Builder and one or two other things.   (I *think* I did this last time things broke, and I *think* this is the only two times I've done that so I suspect this is the most likely cause.)

My symptoms this time were: (in order they happened)

1. When I restarted my computer the cursor was flashing, and rapidly stealing focus of any Window I was on.   Typing was nearly impossible.
  2. I launched Sysinternals ProcessExplorer and saw that it was a Skype related application that was rapidly starting/crashing over and over (ie new process ID every time)
  3. I managed to Launch CCleaner and use the uninstall function to remove "Messaging and Skype" application.
  4. Everything thing was fine and now I noticed the other symptoms
  5. Start Menu would not open
  6. Windows Store would not launch
  7. Problems connecting to resources on the local network (file sharing)

Going to do another reset tonight, and it will be a long time before/if I ever run CCleaner again, but I figured I'd post this here if it helps anyone else.