Hi,

So, Tools - Startup -Google Chrome Tab

Key             Program             Version       Profile

App             Gmail                  8.1             Person1

App             Google drive      14.0               P1

App             Google Search   0.0.0.30         P1

App             YouTube            4.2.8              P1

Extensions   Google Docs     0.5                 P1 

They all offer a destination file, but there's no file.

I need to delete these things cos my laptop is now running ultra slow, like dial-up hehe

Thanks for your time and help!

• Moderators

so are you hitting Disable or Delete?

and what happens when you do?

what about using MSCONFIG instead.

you mention dial-up speeds, is your PC slow or your internet?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Yes, sorry, I have tried disabling and deleting, when I do for both, I get, 'some of the selected items cannot be changed as they are protected by the browser'.

They're unchecked in msconfig too.

Laptop is slow, I have 75mbps speed internet.

• Moderators

is Chrome running in the background still?

also check the Task Scheduler for things that run when the PC starts.

• Moderators

but when you close Chrome are there any background tasks still running?

use Ctrl+Alt+Del to find out.

I ask because that would be an explanation for the 'some of the selected items cannot be changed as they are protected by the browser'.

start the PC in Safe Mode, run CC and change the startup items there.  that way there will be nothing that can block you.

When i Ctrl+Alt+Del nothing seems to be running, i get the screen that offers me the option to turn the laptop off etc.

The only thing that happened differently in safe mode, was more cookies and history were found, but i still couldn't disable/delete the above things.

so are you hitting Disable or Delete?

and what happens when you do?

you mention dial-up speeds, is your PC slow or your internet?

Tools like ccleaner and MSconfig should NOT be used for startup configuation. MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. From Microsoft

"It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts." They should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs.

•     When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly, leaving manual editing of the registry.
  •     Both can leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  •     Msconfig only allows you to disable entries.
  •     Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  •     Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations.

No fate but what we make

There not startup entrys(04), they are CHR extensions. Chrome settings should only be chnaged inside the browser itself, unlike FF etc.

If your computer is slow please follow these steps here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/2852-malware-and-spyware-cleaning-guide/ where you will be asked to post a frst log.

No fate but what we make

Thanks, but you didn't? answer my question. And can you tell me what msconfig has to do with Chrome?

Re your Microsoft quote, what's the point of them being checked or unchecked if they don't make a difference to them running as startup programs under a Tab called startup?

• Moderators

I think this thread got off base with the MSCONFIG part. My guess is that @ident didn't realize that you meant the chrome tab on the start-up tool. The browser tabs are not related to Windows start-up and thus MSCONFIG is not related at all.

I'm not a chrome user so I can't help per se,but all of the items you list are made by Google and likely cannot be removed as they are built into chrome. You may wish to look at some of the many de-googled chrome forks (browsers based on chrome that advertise removing Google services) if you wish a Google-free chromium browser

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I think this thread got off base with the MSCONFIG part. My guess is that @ident didn't realize that you meant the chrome tab on the start-up tool. The browser tabs are not related to Windows start-up and thus MSCONFIG is not related at all. I'm not a chrome user so I can't help per se,but all of the items you list are made by Google and likely cannot be removed as they are built into chrome. You may wish to look at some of the many de-googled chrome forks (browsers based on chrome that advertise removing Google services) if you wish a Google-free chromium browser

My post as i quoted was to mta suggesting to using msconfig.

Chromes settings should only be changed inside the browser OP

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Oops, I thought you were the first mention. However, while you may feel that about browsers only being changed from within the browser, the Original Poster is writing about a feature included in ccleaner and thus needs support for said feature ;)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

to get back on track with the OP....

@barnacle,

have you tried uninstalling Chrome, then changing the CC settings for the Chrome Tab, then of course, reinstalling Chrome.

but from a speed improvement angle, I don't see removing a few Chrome extensions has having too much impact on the speed of the PC, and only slightly on the startup time of Chrome.

removing those chrome extensions is one problem, your PC speed issue is something else.

That should work. Can I be bothered if it won't necessarily make any difference...ccleaner should, after all these years, be a program that can at least disable some piddling chrome things.

If there is no file then they are orphaned registry keys that will have no effect on your system. You really need to run frst and post on g2g. It's a shame this forum does not support malware any more since <insert name > retired

No fate but what we make