v5.10.5373 slow to launch

nukecad

• Moderators

Not only does this have nothing to do with the topic, but it absolutely isn't at all what piriform software does so why... no don't answer, if you are serious please start a new topic in the suggestions board

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hello,

I'd like to confirm, report the same problem on my win 10 installation. I've always had UAC off and and have never experienced this until lately. As others have mentioned, it happens the first time CCleaner is launched after a reboot. I launch the program from a taskbar shortcut that's been there forever. I tried removing and recreating the shortcut as another user mentioned, however that did nothing.

I managed to crash the program a couple of times with the delayed start, thinking I had missed the taskbar icon and launching it a few times at the same time :).

Not a Biggie and I know you're working on it.

Thanks for a Great Program!

I've seen a user since it was *Cleaner and it's one of very few programs I use on my clean machine.

I seem to be following in nukecad's footsteps here. Hope you win lotto or something. ;) So it seems the problem is back again. After setting CCleaner to run on startup the problem subsided for a few days, but now the slow launch seems to happen again upon 1st use. Windows 10 just updated yesterday, wonder if that has something to do with it. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 64-bit, Pentium N3540 @ 2.16GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, Windows Defender, SAS, and MBAM.

"...Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

• Moderators

Just a bit more info:

The launch at startup work-around does work....

BUT

If you forget this is running and launch a browser (Firefox in my case) during the initial delayed period, then this stops CCleaner running in the background and you will get the delay the first time you launch it manually.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Following in nukecad's footsteps, I too use Firefox so that explains why I get the delay sometimes even though I have launch at startup selected... Maybe I'll use Chrome until my machine is running for a bit.

• Moderators

Some more information/testing for any Piriform coder looking at this delayed launch thing.

I had noticed a return of the delayed launch of CC after Windows Updates so decided to take a look.
(Took a while because of the way Windows Updates work with Win10).

So I tried this today.

Boot up.
Let CC run on startup.
After a while double click CC to launch; comes up immediatey.
Go to windows update and check for upates.
Finds a 'Definition Update for Windows Defender' and downloads/installs.
Close Windows Update.
Double click CC to launch; takes around 15 seconds to come up on screen.
Close CC.
Double click CC to launch; comes up immediatey.

So It looks like this is definitely a Windows 10 issue, and probably to do with (Defender?) Updates.

Looks like Windows is changing a flag on boot and/or on updates; I'll leave it to the devs to track it down.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Hot off the press.

I just double clicked on CC and it was taking the 15 or so seconds to launch again.

So, after what I noted in my last post, before doing anything else (didn't even run CC) I went to Windows Update.

And yes there is an update waiting there to be installed,

Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.0, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel® HD Graphics.

We need to start a separate installation to complete this update. Select Install to start it. If you can't see the install window, minimise this window or check the taskbar.

So it does look like Windows Update is having an effect on this issue.

Again, hopes this helps any dev. looking into this.

• Moderators

I too also notice a delay opening CCleaner 5.10.5373 when running on XP SP3 with no changes other than having the newest version of CCleaner installed. Albeit the delay I've been experiencing is very slight in my case and nothing compared to the severity what's been mentioned in this topic so far.

CCleaner 5.10.5373 opens about one second here, win xp sp3.  Just an FYI.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Just got the same Win Update as nukecad (Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.0, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel® HD Graphics) with the same separate installation requirement and I noticed that CCleaner took longer than usual to open and, when it finally did, the Run Cleaner button was grey and I couldn't click it for another minute. After running it it worked fine.

i came to the forums to see if anyone else was having this very same issue, and lo and behold!

i have never had this happen in years of using ccleaner, but it is definitely noticeable - when i read some people quoting it may take a second or two more... no, i wouldn't have come here about a very short period of time. i am guessing that the delay from when ccleaner opens (with greyed out buttons) to when the two main buttons ("analyze" and "run cleaner") are blue and ready to use, would be approximately 15 seconds. it may not sound like much, which it really isn't, but i'm used to ccleaner popping up and being ready to use immediately!

i am glad to see that i'm not the only one that noticed something dramatic changed over the last while.

hopefully a solution can be found.

i am using windows 8.1 x64, if you have any other questions about my configuration, i can provide if necessary.

thank you for looking into this Piriform! it is such a great utility.  :D

• Moderators

I had seen the reports about the greyed out button issue, but thought it was a seperate thing.

the previous post by menace seems to indicate the (subjective) time delay is similar, and so it suggests that it may be the same thing?

Maybe Win 8.1 is showing the GUI but not responding for 15 secs, whilst Win 10 is not showing the GUI for 15 secs?

Still seems to be the SKIPUAC that is causing this behaviour.

PS. I have gone away from the run-on-startup work-round and have just turned off SKIPUAC for now.

• Moderators

So this new thread today about CCleaner Cloud

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=44851&hl=

talks about "enhancing user account management".

Coincidence that the problem here seems to be with skipping the user account control?

interesting nukecad :D

i just wanted to add that i do have a box running windows 7 x64 with no issues with the latest version of ccleaner. just my windows 8.1 x64 box :(

... still waiting for a bit for windows 10 - i have it, but windows 8.1 has been an absolute dream to work with (i know, i'm one of the few people that actually love it!) hehe

some more info regarding my issue (from questions asked previously):

Is monitoring turned on?
no

Are you using SKIPUAC setting in ccleaner? If so turn that off and see if it still does it. 
yes. the issue still occurs now after clicking <yes> because of SKIP UAC off.

What is your default browser?
chrome 46.0.2490.71

Do you have automatically check for updates ticked in Ccleaner settings? Try a little test. Turn off Ccleaner auto updates and then reboot and open Ccleaner.
i did, unticked it, restarted computer, and the issue still occurs.

Do you have Ccleaner configured to either autorun at startup or autorun at shutdown?
no, i don't use either of those options.

What antivirus and anti-malware are you using?
1) windows defender (included with windows 8.1 x64)
2) malwarebytes anti-malware home premium 2.2.0.1024

thanks for any assistance, much appreciated!   :)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

HP Pavilion desktop

Intel® Core i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Microsoft Security Essentials

CCleaner 5.10.5373 (64 bit)

SKIPUAC – yes

Default browser is IE 11, but I actually use Chrome

Automatic check for updates – yes

Auto run at start up or shut down – no

Monitoring turned on – no, I have free edition

I am getting 5-6 second delay the first time I double click the CCleaner icon on my desk top also.  No Windows 10 related updates have been installed.   

Not a big problem but I came here to see if anyone else was having a similar experience after the last CCleaner update.

I don’t think it is just a Windows 10 problem.               

I just installed v5.11.5408, ran it, restarted the computer, and no change here. SKIPUAC is on. Not set to run on startup. No Windows Updates pending. Still slow to launch.

Windows 10 64-bit, Pentium N3540 @ 2.16GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, Windows Defender, SAS, and MBAM.

• Moderators

Still getting the 15 second delay with 5.11.5408(64 bit), skipuac selected, run on startup not selected.

My latest workaround-

I have found that turning on Active Monitoring means that again CC runs in the background on startup so you don't see the delay.
(Similar to the 'Run on Startup' workround mentioned before).

The difference is that using the 'Active Monitoring' rather than the 'Run on Startup' means that launching a browser does not stop CC running in the background.

And yes, despite what you may have read elsewhere, you can run Active Monitoring with the free version.

post-73689-0-97725500-1445935075_thumb.jpg

- Optimized internal architecture for faster start up

I was hoping to read Unoptimized and back to how it was in the new changelog.

Exactly what has that changed that was beneficial?  It may not be the problem but it does look fishy since it was fast anyway.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

HP Pavilion desktop

Intel® Core i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Microsoft Security Essentials

CCleaner 5.10.5373 (64 bit)

SKIPUAC – yes

Default browser is IE 11, but I actually use Chrome

Automatic check for updates – yes

Auto run at start up or shut down – no

Monitoring turned on – no, I have free edition             

I have installed the newest update (per hazelnut post 10/26/2015 @ 7:56 AM) and CCleaner is actually a little slower to pop up the first time.  Update made it a little worse.

I have found that turning on Active Monitoring means that again CC runs in the background on startup so you don't see the delay.

The only reason you don't see the delay is because you're adding it into your startup time. My startup time increased 15 - 20 seconds waiting for CCleaner to start monitoring. So, if you're not waiting for your computer to start up, then it basically does the initialization of the program automatically and you don't notice it. But, the delay is still there.

I continue to use v5.10 since forum members reported v5.11 is as slow or slower.  I have SKIPUAC enabled, monitoring disabled and enable run/cleaning at logon.  No anti-virus is running.  IE is disabled and Firefox 41.0.2 is my default browser.  Some observations...

32-bit Win7 shows the taskbar icon for about 1 second on the admin account and 0.5 seconds on the standard account at logon.  This is about the same as CCleaner has always achieved on this PC.  Thus, the bug may be limited to 64-bit Windows,

On two PCs with 64-bit Win8.1, the taskbar icon takes about 15 seconds on the admin account and 1 second on the standard account at logon.  Thus, the bug may be limited to the admin account.

I have a CPU meter tray icon from System Explorer, and the CPU is less than 5% while CCleaner is displaying its taskbar icon for 15 seconds.  Thus, the bug is not due to CPU loading and may be due to some timeout or waiting.

Edit: removed false Firefox testing result.